Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 5:02:12 PM EDT
Sent my upper back after my groups opened up suddenly... Like 10 moa... There was no key holing. They replaced the barrel which seems to have taken care of the problem. What could have been the issue with the first barrel?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Was it chrome lined? Lining flaking could cause that. Damage to the rifling at the muzzle is another possibility.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was it chrome lined? Lining flaking could cause that. Damage to the rifling at the muzzle is another possibility.
View Quote

Stainless.. Was thinking muzzle too but I would think that would cause keyholes.?  What about the barrel extension? Could that have become an issue somehow?

Backstory on the upper was that it is a PSA upper with a Midwest rail. When I bought it, it came with an improperly torqued barrel nut which became an issue. I set it aside then eventually got around to properly torqueing the nut properly. But too late, it was shooting like crap, and I'm not sure where the issue was. (And thanks PSA for fixing it under warranty) Someone suggested that the loose nut could have banged up the front of the receiver affecting barrel/receiver lock... But like I said, they replaced the barrel and it seems to be GTG...(unless they lapped the front of the receiver when they serviced it)..
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I would think about serious crown damage or muzzle brake.  
Otherwise an irretrievable rifling problem, but I don't think of that happening suddenly.
Let us know what you find out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#4]
barrel nut came loose..........will cause one to open up groups real quick........
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
barrel nut came loose..........will cause one to open up groups real quick........
View Quote

Yeah, but I broke it down and torqued the nut to spec. It was shooting 10moa afterwards..

Not gonna find anything out now, the barrel is gone, I'm just speculating on what the issue could have been.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would think about serious crown damage or muzzle brake.  
Otherwise an irretrievable rifling problem, but I don't think of that happening suddenly.
Let us know what you find out.
View Quote

No rifling issue, the barrel probably only had about 500 rounds through it tops. And if it was crown damage with 10" groups, would there not have been keyholing?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top