Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 9:16:33 PM EDT
I was at the range today testing some loads (midrange, nothing heavy).  In the course of firing 25 rounds, I had three double fires.  NOT the double fire where it fires when releasing the trigger.  Rather, pull the triggered and bingo two rounds downrange.

this gun has a Spike's lower and was built by someone else.  He did polish the trigger sear n such and had cut one leg off the hammer spring in an effort to make it lighter and smoother.  In the past I had an occasional FTF and figured the spring was too light. So  I replaced it with a standard milspec hammer spring. I did put a matching slight bend in both legs to soften it a bit . That was a couple hundred rounds ago and I have had no more FTF's.  

I have run at least 500 rounds through it and never a problem until today.  Any ideas what is causing these two round bursts?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I was at the range today testing some loads (midrange, nothing heavy).  In the course of firing 25 rounds, I had three double fires.  NOT the double fire where it fires when releasing the trigger.  Rather, pull the triggered and bingo two rounds downrange.

this gun has a Spike's lower and was built by someone else.  He did polish the trigger sear n such and had cut one leg off the hammer spring in an effort to make it lighter and smoother.  In the past I had an occasional FTF and figured the spring was too light. So  I replaced it with a standard milspec hammer spring. I did put a matching slight bend in both legs to soften it a bit . That was a couple hundred rounds ago and I have had no more FTF's.  

I have run at least 500 rounds through it and never a problem until today.  Any ideas what is causing these two round bursts?
View Quote

Yes, the custom screwball trigger job and springs.

Get that shit replaced with a new Fire control group before you go to jail.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Disco out of time, and depending on how they polished the sears, could have gone through the heat treatment, and now the sears are crap as well.

Short version, replace the entire FCG.
View Quote

Oh yea, I had already decided I needed to replace the FCU.  Even if it could be tweaked to properly function. NO WAY I could ever be comfortable with it.  

got it, a borderline trigger job that probably wore through the heat treated surface material, 500+ rounds later, just enough wear to make a borderline single fire into something else............

Thanks, that's what I needed, a reasonable guess on what would cause this malfunction to suddenly appear after 6 months.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Dano, you almost ought to tack this to illustrate what can happen when you try to do your own trigger work.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a real trigger even a ALGS  would be an improvement

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top