Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 5:04:34 PM EDT
I just bought a ruger ar556. It's the first ar15 I've ever shot. I noticed on the first shot that the buffer spring and tube is really loud. I could hear it through my ear plugs. I noticed on a couple video reviews that people mentioned that same thing. Is there a way to fix this or do all ar 15s make that sound? Should I replace the spring and tube for a better one or are they all the same?? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, there are several ways to stop the "Boooooiiiiinnngggggggg" , I suggest getting use to it. After awhile you will hear the diff between a full mag vs one with  10, 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 round left in the mag, I kid you not. It's the nature of the beast. A light coat of oil will help quite it down quite a bit. If you are still wanting to silence the music, just google " how to silence the AR sound" and you will find all kinds of ways.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Some springs due reduce the sproing noise(Tubb's spring is supposed to eleminate the sproing).  The sproing is not a sign of poor quality and is just how the majority of AR's are.

Some guys put some grease on the spring to cut down on the noise.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some springs due reduce the sproing noise(Tubb's spring is supposed to eleminate the sproing).  The sproing is not a sign of poor quality and is just how the majority of AR's are.

Some guys put some grease on the spring to cut down on the noise.
View Quote

The Tubb springs do reduce the noise but its not as bad. I can still hear when the bolt locks back
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Since I came from an AK background, the AR felt toy like and sounds like one too compared to the bank vault lock up sound of an AK. It was the biggest distraction for me, but I've gotten used to it. As others have noted, it DOES give you audible feedback to an empty mag (as well as felt feedback too). You'll get used to the twang, and even appreciate it "talking" to you as you shoot
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Lubri-Plate, Mil-Spec 130-A.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
JP Silent Capture buffer system.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I grease mine, and they are almost silent.  No reason you can't since they don't experience much heat, and the grease stays in place better than oil.  Just about anything will do but I bought a tube of Mobil 1 grease a few years ago and use it as my primary lubricant since all my ARs are piston guns.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
I bought one for my SBR and now have to get some for the rest of the stable. Not cheap, but they are nice.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
To me, it sounds like summer - b/c when I was a kid I used to go in and out of the screen door and the sproing reminds me of those happy times whenever I go shooting.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The spring noise is perfectly normal and it hurts nothing. Most official sources (U.S. Armed Forces and most manuals ) tell you not to grease the spring. I've used Lubri-PLate which is a very thin white grease. It works great, even in cold weather.

Heavier grease may slow or even stop effective cycling in cold weather. Stay away from wheel bearing grease or similar heavy types.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]
A thin coat of grease is cheap ( 10 cents) and may make you happy.  Danos tips to smoothe the spring ends is new to me and I learned something, as always.
If grease doesn't work out then you can wipe it off and go to plan B or C, to a Tubbs spring ($30) or a JP Silent Capture ($135)
You might be pleasantly surprised at how well grease works. Pick a grease, any grease.  I use Brownells Assembly lube just because it is on my bench.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Embrace the sproing!
View Quote
This, it is the nature of the BEAST! I would guess if you use grease, be prepared when you go to clean your rifle. I have never used grease to silence my buffer spring, although I can estimate the difference.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Embrace the sproing!
View Quote

+!
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't like to put oil or grease on the buffer spring because it is messier to clean and attracts dust.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one rifle with a Tubb flat wire spring. Pretty much no spring noise.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#20]
try this

damage usa from their site
"For AR-15 / M4 Carbine:

• Constructed from certified USA made chrome silicon spring wire

• Heat treated, stress relieved

• Provides consistent spring pressure for hundreds of thousands of cycles (estimated 750,000+)

• Greater resistance to heat & high stress cyclic rates

• Improves operation, long-lasting performance

• Consistent pressure reduces bolt bounce

• Significantly reduces the perceived "twang" noise which is common during firing"
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Curious how lots of these topics just keep recycling.

There have been many good suggestions here.

Enjoy your AR.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top