Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 3:02:35 PM EDT
The gun is new out of the box. Fired a couple magazines without a hiccup. Then had a FTF. Did the tap rack but couldn't rack the handle at all. Bolt appeared fully seated. I unpinned the upper from the lower and noticed the hammer was forward. I manually reset the hammer and put it back together. then it fired. Did another magazine and same thing happened. Shooting tried and tested hand loads of once fired PMC brass, xtreme 55 fmj over 25g H335  seated to mid cannelure. The rounds ran fine in my Bushmaster.

Anyone know what could cause this? First instinct is to blame the hand loads but there were 2 different issues.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
sound like the brass was out of spec.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'll be sure to share this thread with my buddy who owns the rifle. He said he lubed it with RemOil but I'm not sure if the chamber was cleaned.

I can buy the case being stuck from a dirty chamber or from some weird sizing or seating flub that I haven't had before in any of my hand loads. I don't crimp 223 at all.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the hammer not resetting after the previous round was fired, its case ejected, and a fresh round was stripped from the pmag and chambered enough to stick.

I have that M16 comic book in hard copy
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, Dano- That was the kind of answer I was looking for. We didn't strip the gun down in the icy, snowy, muddy sandpit we were shooting at, but I turned my buddy on to this thread, so he can follow your steps. The rifle was ordered/ purchased complete, so I'm guessing it was assembled at DD.

He is going to shoot it again this week with factory ammo and the same batch of handloads after doing the Breakfree cleaning and checking the things you mentioned. Fingers crossed he doesn't have any stoppages.

The only time I had a 223 reload issue was using old large letter FC cases. The primer pockets grew and a couple spent primers fell into the lower. Couldn't engage the safety, just like this instance. I don't use those cases anymore
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Another potential problem that you might be having, that has happened to me, is that your brass may have gotten stuck at the same time your disconnect wasn't resetting the trigger. An affirmative way you can test the function of your disconnect is to take the lower of the rifle and manually reset the hammer while holding the trigger once the hammer sets on the disconnect release the trigger and see if it clicks and try pulling the trigger again, if it is stuck then you have a disconnect problem that just needs to be worked.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you, Ty. I imagine my buddy will read this thread (he lurks) and do as you suggest.

So many ways things can go wrong...
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top