Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2015 5:53:17 PM EDT
I finally got to get outside and put a few rounds through my recently built rifle. I wish I had awesome results but I dont. Haven't even tried sighting it in yet. I was just wanting to make sure it fired and cycled properly, and to my dismay it doesn't, or didn't... Something like that. Here's the story: chambered first round (55 grain monarch brass), pulled trigger, bang, pulled trigger, click (4 rounds left in mag). Pulled charging handle, visually saw round getting chambered, pulled trigger, bang, pulled trigger, click. So I start searching google and found that it may be short stroking and that my gas system or possibly the weight of my rounds could be the culprit. So I load some 60 grain Winchesters, chamber round, pull trigger, bang, pull trigger, bang.  This being the last round in my mag, he BCG should have locked back, it didn't.  Crap. So now I borrow a few of my buddy's 64 grain Winchesters and all goes as it's supposed to. BCG cycles as it's supposed to, picks up next round, and locks back when mag is empty.

With all that being said, is it normal for a rifle to only shoot certain grain rounds (or heavier)? Should it be firing and cycling lighter grains as well or does it all depend on the components I have in my rifle? Should I tear my rifle down and troubleshoot the gas system or just keep shoving 64ish grain rounds to it?

Thanks guys,

Tyler
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#1]
what do the primers of the rounds that didn't fire look like?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you give more details on the rifle?  Buffer, barrel, gas system?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe he meant that every time he heard ''click'' he came to find there was not a round chambered.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
What I meant when I said "click" was that there wasn't another round chambered after the first round fired.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
14.5 BCM midlength barrel, spikes St-T2 heavy buffer, midlength gas system.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 14.5 bcm middy also. I shoot 55 grain xm193 all the time no problems, I would look into a standard h1 buffer. Did you build the upper from scratch or order it complete?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have 14.5 bcm middy also. I shoot 55 grain xm193 all the time no problems, I would look into a standard h1 buffer. Did you build the upper from scratch or order it complete?
View Quote
I built the entire rifle from the ground up. Whats the difference between the standard buffer and what I have? Just the weight?

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you use a standard weight buffer spring? Also, are you running a full auto bolt carrier or a semi?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Essentially yes. You also want to make sure it is a standard carbine main spring. Clean thoroughly, lube well. I can also suggest shooting a couple hundred rounds of hotter ammo, then go back and try some lighter stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Right from BCM's website:

"These 14.5" mid length gas barreled upper receiver groups have been specifically tuned to be a very soft and fast shooting set up. They are a joy to shoot, but please feed it good ammo. With good milspec pressured ammo we have been running H buffers. We do not recommend using lower powered ammo. If using less than milspec pressured ammo, it may be best to run a standard carbine buffer."
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Did you use a standard weight buffer spring? Also, are you running a full auto bolt carrier or a semi?
View Quote

I'm using a Springco Blue Enhanced Power Carbine Spring.  It was sent with my Buffer. Had to go back and look, but it is a full auto BCG.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"These 14.5" mid length gas barreled upper receiver groups have been specifically tuned to be a very soft and fast shooting set up. They are a joy to shoot, but please feed it good ammo. With good milspec pressured ammo we have been running H buffers. We do not recommend using lower powered ammo. If using less than milspec pressured ammo, it may be best to run a standard carbine buffer."
View Quote

That is listed b on their site. I however have not had a problem with any .223 I've shot in mine. I mainly shoot xm193, I've also shot pmc bronze, ppu, american eagle, and some Remington,  all 55gr no problems.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I would say it was a successful build meant for eating the pricier rounds. A standard strength buffer spring may be the solution for cycling the lighter, cheaper rounds.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That is listed b on their site. I however have not had a problem with any .223 I've shot in mine. I mainly shoot xm193, I've also shot pmc bronze, ppu, american eagle, and some Remington,  all 55gr no problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. May try out a standard buffer and see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I would say it was a successful build meant for eating the pricier rounds. A standard strength buffer spring may be the solution for cycling the lighter, cheaper rounds.
View Quote

Thanks, may give a standard buffer a try and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's what my build turned out looking like

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#17]
From what I have read Monarch may not be the hottest load out there and that may be more of the problem than the bullet weight coupled with the Spikes buffer.

I am currently working up my hand loads for my 14.5 and this is what I have seen. All were used with a 55 grain bullet. I started at 23 grains of powder and worked my way up to 25 grains. I do this to find the most accurate load for my rifle. When shooting the 23 grain rounds the brass discharged nicely between 4-5 o'clock. As I shot the 10 different loads on my way up to 25 grains the brass discharge changed. It went from discharging from 4-5 to 1-2 meaning it was ejecting harder hitting the shell deflector and going forward. Basically the hotter the load the hotter the brass was ejected. All the experimenting was done with a standard buffer which weighs approximately 3.8 ounces. If I find the hotter loads are more accurate I will go with the Spikes which weighs 4.3 ounces and possibly a heavier spring.

Guess that was a long answer to say try a lighter buffer and/or some hotter ammunition

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

From what I have read Monarch may not be the hottest load out there and that may be more of the problem than the bullet weight coupled with the Spikes buffer.

I am currently working up my hand loads for my 14.5 and this is what I have seen. All were used with a 55 grain bullet. I started at 23 grains of powder and worked my way up to 25 grains. I do this to find the most accurate load for my rifle. When shooting the 23 grain rounds the brass discharged nicely between 4-5 o'clock. As I shot the 10 different loads on my way up to 25 grains the brass discharge changed. It went from discharging from 4-5 to 1-2 meaning it was ejecting harder hitting the shell deflector and going forward. Basically the hotter the load the hotter the brass was ejected. All the experimenting was done with a standard buffer which weighs approximately 3.8 ounces. If I find the hotter loads are more accurate I will go with the Spikes which weighs 4.3 ounces and possibly a heavier spring.

Guess that was a long answer to say try a lighter buffer and/or some hotter ammunition

View Quote

Will do! Thanks. The Monarch ammo was a gift and it was all I had at the time. Thanks for the info man!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's your problem.  While some do run fine, the majority of 14.5" BCM midlengths that I've run across (one being mine) didn't like .223 pressured ammo.  I'm pretty sure BCM advises to use 5.56 pressure stuff with these specific upper configurations in order for them to run 100%.

I'd drop down to a standard carbine buffer.  It may fix your issue.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#20]
After some break in with hotter rounds you can revisit the cheaper and lighter stuff to see if it works well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#21]
What I want to know is if the gas block is properly aligned? Have you done anything to check the flow? While holding the muzzle downward and with the barrel upright, I usually shoot a good bit of Gun Scrubber down the gas tube to see whether it slowly drips out or if it streams out. If it slowly drips out, the gas block would not be aligned properly. If it immediately streams out, it is good to go. Also, I would suggest running a standard or "H" buffer. I have a build where I have used the BCM 14.5" mid-length barrel and run a standard buffer and spring. I am also using a NiB BCG. It runs extremely smooth. So smooth that when I first took it to the range to test it, I was not even sure if the second round was chambered. I had to visibly check and it was. It has functioned 100%. Additionally, I would recommend using XM193 ammo (5.56 NATO 55 gr.) or anything similar. A lot these mid-length barrels do not have the gas port size to accommodate the weaker .223 ammo.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#22]
What you did with the heavy buffer and stiffer recoil spring was, you prevented the gun from cycling with the weaker ammo. With a mid-length gas, you use a standard spring and buffer. That's all you have to do; get a standard spring and buffer. So, to the question, yes, you have a problem AND a peculiar rifle. :)
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like with the heavy spring, buffer, and extra carrier mass you might be short stroking.

Run a few mags of M193 or M855 through it and see how it performs.

You're either oversprung or undergassed for the loads you're shooting.

Another thing to keep in mind, when trying out that new rifle I ALWAYS use standard ball ammo.  Adding in some non-standard load or loading just adds another variable if it doesn't function properly.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like the general consensus is to swap to an H buffer and spring and to check the alignment of my gas block. Thanks a lot guys for your help!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Sounds like the general consensus is to swap to an H buffer and spring and to check the alignment of my gas block. Thanks a lot guys for your help!
View Quote
Yeah, and the good news is...buffers are the easiest thing on the rifle to change out.  If I were you, I'd keep a buffer of each size in your range bag and change them out according to whatever ammo you are shooting at that time.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Topic Moved
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top