Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2014 3:42:48 PM EDT
I have a M16 which I originally had a 14.5" barrel on it with a full auto BCM bolt carrier group in it. When I swapped out the barrel to 11.5" I noticed that the gas rings on the bolt failed the field test of supporting the weight of the carrier... I can do into more detail on this if you don't know what I am talking about. In any case I did not think this was a big deal because I had put around 3000 rounds though the barrel and figured it was time to replace the rings which I did. Once I replaced the rings and inspected the bolt, everything looked good so I decided to reuse the bolt carrier with the new barrel. Went out and put some rounds through it using a T2 buffer from Spikes. The gun was acting like it was over gassed and tossing the brass to the one o'clock position. Next I replaced the buffer with a T3, this fixed the issue and brought the shell casing back to ejecting at the 3 to 4 o'clock position. The gun also did not suffer from anymore bolt bounce and I could dump a full mag with no light primer strikes. I could not do that prior with the T2 with the 11.5, it would light strike 2 to 3 times per 30 rounds. With the 14.5 barrel I did run the T2 with 0 issues.

Sooooooo... I am now happy with the way the gun is working but here is the thing... I was cleaning the gun again tonight and after less than 500 rounds, the gas rings on the bolt is back to failing the field test again. Is this because the gun is over gassing? Is this a problem if I run the gun like this? Not sure if I have an issue or not... Looking for advice from possible other M16/ AR15 full auto owners.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It is because the test is not done with the rings holding up the weight of the carrier. You hold the carrier pointing down and if the bolt does not fall out under its own weight the rings are ok. I have never had a problem caused by the rings even then.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is because the test is not done with the rings holding up the weight of the carrier. You hold the carrier pointing down and if the bolt does not fall out under its own weight the rings are ok. I have never had a problem caused by the rings even then.
View Quote

Really? I have not heard of that test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYXsyS2B98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpkzWhoaK04

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The other poster is correct; that is how gas rings are tested per TM 9-1005-319-23&P. Which you also remove the cam pin, firing pin retaining pin, and firing pin. Then holding the carrier, point the bolt downwards. If the bolt does not fall out of the carrier, the rings pass the test.

In a paper titled Increasing Small Arms Lethality in Afghanistan: Taking Back the Infantry Half-Kilometer, the author Army Major Thomas Ehrhart suggests a different approach due to how inexpensive gas rings cost. His method uses almost the same steps above, except he suggests holding the bolt, and pointing the carrier downwards. His reasoning is that if the rings are in good enough shape to hold the weight of the carrier; they are dependable enough to take outside the wire.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:31:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm having a similar issue although mine is semi-auto but does have a full auto BCG, both from BCM and Sabre Defence.

The BCM is brand new and I haven't gotten to shoot with it yet.

The Sabre Defence BCG had less than 700 rounds through it on a 16" barrel with mid-length gas and this happened.

I then ordered a new BCM BCG, new barrel chambered in .223 Wylde with carbine gas (found out I had mid-length after I tried installing the new barrel and my gas tube wouldn't fit), new heavy buffer 4.9 oz and a Spikes Tactical Dynacomp Extreme 2 muzzle break.

I used to run my AR on the dry side (oiled but wiped down) and seeing how I had mid-length gas before I'm thinking mine happened because it wasn't wet enough. I'm going to try running the new BCG really wet this time and see how it works out.

Ill also keep keep an eye on my brass to see of I'm now over gassed with carbine gas vs mid-length on the same 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Spoiler alert: things you see on you tube may not be accurate.
You need to spend some time with the TM which is available for download on this site.

3-18 shows how to test the rings,
http://www.ar15.com/content/webPDF/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You need to spend some time with the TM which is available for download on this site.

View Quote

I'll check it again tonight and report back.

Thanks.

ps. I know YouTube is not the end all to information but a lot of time it is very helpful.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#7]
the inside of the carrier is like a cylinder in a car's engine, and the bolt is the piston. this is one place on the rifle that likes to run wet to save the "piston" rings and save the carrier from getting damage because of broken rings. once the inside of the carrier gets scored or badly gouged, premature ring failure will be the result.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the inside of the carrier is like a cylinder in a car's engine, and the bolt is the piston. this is one place on the rifle that likes to run wet to save the "piston" rings and save the carrier from getting damage because of broken rings. once the inside of the carrier gets scored or badly gouged, premature ring failure will be the result.
View Quote

Hmmmmm.... Maybe I need a new carrier then?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

It did pass this test so I am going to continue to shoot it and keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It did pass this test so I am going to continue to shoot it and keep an eye on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it's BCM and they said I am welcome to send it back to have them inspect it, not sure if that is necessary or not at this point.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well it's BCM and they said I am welcome to send it back to have them inspect it, not sure if that is necessary or not at this point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I send my BCG into them for having some rough spots on the inside of the carrier due to a bad chrome lining that cause it to eat up rings. They took very good care of me
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top