Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 8:47:21 PM EDT
We were shooting my buddies Spike's AR today when the hammer would not drop when he pulled the trigger.  I opened it up and noticed the hammer looked cocked to one side.  Then I noticed the drift pin that holds the hammer assembly to the lower had walked out a third of the way, and was no longer in the hole on the right side of the lower.  I was able to push it back into place with just finger pressure, it was not snug at all.  Any solution?  Do they make slightly oversized pins that can replace the ones that are loose?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The hammer has a pin in it called the "J" pin. It engages a groove in the center of the hammer pin. It sounds like it may have broken or fallen out. If you remove the hammer, look at the bottom of it and you can see this J pin. There is also a hole in the side of the hammer where it is visible. It is just a little wire looking pin.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir, I will let him know.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I was under the impression that the hammer pins never ever ever walk out and that using anti -walk pins was a terrible waste of $10.  That being said, it was likely an issue with the j spring or hammer pin. Hopefully, there was no damage to your receiver
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#4]
check that the hammer spring is installed correctly if its not the pins can walk but when installed the right way they will not
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
check that the hammer spring is installed correctly if its not the pins can walk but when installed the right way they will not http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/Isaac_Glass/Tag/AR15-HammerSpringInstall.jpg
View Quote

Hammer spring shouldn't affect the hammer pin, it retains the trigger pin though.
This is the "J spring" that's in the lower part of the trigger and snaps into the groove in the middle of the pin.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pictures, that was very helpful.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm.  I thought that the hammer pin being installed incorrectly as noted in the above picture results in less "upward" pressure on the hammer pin, thus making it more likely to walk.  I understand the J pin is primarily holding it in, but I thought the correct installation of the hammer spring also helped.  To me, it's sure a heck of a lot harder to install the  hammer pin (in terms of getting everything lined up) when the spring is oriented correctly than when it's not.  I'm not saying you are wrong by any means, I'm just saying what I thought, and maybe I'm wrong on that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top