Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 9:00:20 PM EDT
I have been having some accuracy issues as of late with my Bushmaster M4A3 Carbine. I bought the rifle new about 6 or 7 years ago and have never touched the barrel or anything related, only took the hand guards off for the first time today to further investigate the issue. I snapped quick video of the play between the barrel and the upper receiver. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or if my barrel is indeed loose. I just dont understand how this could happen with the gas tube there but what do I know.

http://vid138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/Joe333x/20141021_204655_zpsv9cwceji.mp4
http://s138.photobucket.com/user/Joe333x/media/20141021_204655_zpsihwezmvi.mp4.html?filters[user]=30926272&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Not good, most like the barrel extension and barrel are no longer good friends.  To the smith or get a barrel with extension and replace the it yourself.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Guessing its not something I can send it back to bushmaster for a free fix? I don't know if I'd even want to send it back to them anyway now that Bushmaster isnt really Bushmaster. What could cause this? I never abused the rifle, maybe got the barrel pretty hot some times having fun but nothing that I would expect something like this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, your barrel nut is loose.
View Quote

This.

And it is not uncommon.  I have had several come loose over time, especially when they torque up right at the minimum spec around 30-35lbs, and using an aluminum nut like the YHM rails came with.

It wont cause extreme accuracy issues, nothing more than a few MOA in my experience, unless you are using a barrel mounted front sight.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

And it is not uncommon.  I have had several come loose over time, especially when they torque up right at the minimum spec around 30-35lbs, and using an aluminum nut like the YHM rails came with.

It wont cause extreme accuracy issues, nothing more than a few MOA in my experience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It wont cause extreme accuracy issues, nothing more than a few MOA in my experience.

Good to know, thanks for the response. My buddy has my barrel wrench, Im going to get it back tomorrow and hope that it just needs to be tightened. Indeed it was just a few MOA off but it was enough to drive me crazy since I had always been dead on with it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But he shouldn't shoot it till he gets it fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

There is no safety issue and it is fine to shoot like that.  Only issue is it might prematurely wear the bolt/extension lug surfaces if it is misaligned during lock and unlock.  However, it still absolutely locks before firing and headspace is unaffected.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:01:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Just take the gas tube off and properly torque the barrel nut down, no foul no harm.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just take the gas tube off and properly torque the barrel nut down, no foul no harm.
View Quote

Thats the plan for today after work.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a lot of play. If the barrel+extension is not indexed properly on the upper, you might have some extreme windage adjustments to do once everything is said and done.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Fix it ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There is no safety issue and it is fine to shoot like that.  Only issue is it might prematurely wear the bolt/extension lug surfaces if it is misaligned during lock and unlock.  However, it still absolutely locks before firing and headspace is unaffected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Falarak has been around for awhile and even though he's from Texas he still knows what he is talking about.  Headspace and bolt lock up is still the same so it is safe.

But I wonder what else might be going on.  It's not that hard to remove the handguard (depending on the guard) and then use a roll pinpunch to drive out the front sight block gas tube pin and remove the gas tube.  Then you can remove the barrel nut and examine it and the receiver threads.  It is not common for the barrel nut to loosen enough to allow much play; the gas tube prevents much rotation usually, so look at your parts and just be thorough and go item by item.  There are plenty of videos and maybe start with the Brownells ones on attaching a barrel to see how to do it from the start.

PS  JK, Fal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top