Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 1:44:28 PM EDT
Headspaces correct, although I don't think that would matter here.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I could be wrong (I am a lot), but I'm guessing people more experienced than me are gonna want you to describe the sequence of events that lead up to that.
Again, I'm only guessing that thing got sideways / blocked by something, didn't make it to the chamber throat and got smushed to hell by the bolt slamming forward?
Details?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
what kinna mags?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so the rifle came to me with the problem. They swapped the barrel and it started doing it. I was going to test fire it to verify, but I didn't really want to be a guinea pig for something like this without knowing how it was assembled. So I disassembled it and re-assembled it and it ran fine. The only thing I did was assemble it and remove the BAD lever. I don't think it could have been the BAD lever though. I have had them keep a bolt from locking back on an empty mag before, but don't think it could have done the bending cases thing.
So, any ideas why the cases were bending?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it possible the barrel wasn't seated properly?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#5]
(Sorry I have no idea who you are or what your tech skills are (nor you mine, granted) Please forgive me if I'm talking under or over you. I'm just trying to get on the page with you since it seems to be a slow night)
Is this from initial charging on a fresh mag? ...or the battery stroke trying to feed a second round from a mag?
History of the rifle might be useful, but can you spell out what happened at shoot-time? as in "I pulled back the charging handle and lett'er fly and then.....", "I looked in the ejection port and what I saw was...."
Can you post a good quality pic looking up into the chamber area? Maybe one looking in through the ejection port?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:34:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either the mag not retained in the mag well correctly, such as the mag catch assembly correctly threaded into the mag catch button so the threaded section of the catch is flush with the face of the button.

Mag catch slot milled too low in the receiver so the mag is not held up high enough, or the mag well too over sized milled/you using the mag for a hand grab, both of which can cause the front of the mag to angle downward to cause too steep of an attack angle for the round to feed correctly.

Radius edge on the barrel feeding breach face not rounded enough, and can cause this edge to bite into the case to cause bind denting.

Short stroke, or case over at cycle to cause the bolt to try to force the round out of the mag via the middle of the round, instead of the round being pushed out of the round from behind the rim.

If you want to give us more details, we can narrow the problem down more specify, then just chucking lawn darts blindly  as the list above.

View Quote

Unfortunately I don't have any more info. It was brought to me with a claimed problem and the bent rounds. Not wanting to be the guinea pig, I disassembled it and reassembled it and it shot fine. I know there's not much to say about it at that point, but I was just looking for ideas of what it could have been.

I will say that I did notice the magazine barely being locked in by the mag release. The threaded end was correctly leveled in the button, so I'm sure there is a possibility the mag release slot was milled too low.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Does it have m4 ramps on barrel extension, and a non-feed ramp rifle upper receiver?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top