Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 6:46:27 AM EDT
I'm working on a friends Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle. He's had trouble keeping a tight group. At 100 yards, the first few shots are easily in a 2" group. However, as you fire more shots, the group gets bigger and bigger. After about 20 rounds, it's about a 12" group.

Come back later with a cold gun and same thing. Early shots are tight and they loosen up with more shooting.

It's done this with several types of ammo and with and without a can.

My first thought was to replace the barrel but wanted to check here for other ideas first just in case.

Other thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#1]
No problems, thats what happens when the barrel heats up when your shooting. Very typical. Even your highest end target barrels will exhibit this when heated up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The sustained rate of fire for an AR-15 type weapon is 12-15 rounds per minute.

Even at that relatively slow rate, the barrel is going to heat up and you're going to see what you are seeing:  bigger groups.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never noticed any of my ARs opening up like that, not a 10-15" increase. This is shooting bench rest with a rate of fire of maybe 30 rounds over 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Check to see if barrel is tight to receiver.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#6]
No way does ANY of my 16 plus AR's group that large from that little sustained fire. Not a chance. They do open up somewhat but not like that at all.
Here is one mag 20 shots relatively rapid fire at 100 yards from my noveske afghan   There is something wrong with that bushmaster...I would check and see if barrel is tight
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#7]
What kind of sights is he using?  I would put forth eye fatigue as a possible cause.  That, or flinching.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Drail; are the results you posted the other guy's or yours? You should fire it yourself with known accurate ammo before trying to figure out what may be wrong with it. The shooter is a huge factor. When shooting for accuracy, you must maintain discipline throughout the session, not give in to more rapid fire and looser sighting. Otherwise, something is changing as the barrel heats up. The cold groups would be bad if the barrel were bad as far as chamber and bore are concerned. The Bushmaster probably has a 'government profile' barrel. If the bore were off-center, and the barrel warped a little from uneven heating, it seems like you would get 'stringing' as the shots followed the direction of the very slight bend, but that should stabilize after a uniform temperature is reached.
However, if you have a known good barrel, that certainly could tell the tale if it holds groups as it heats. If you swap it, you might consider squaring-off the nose of the upper if you have access to the mill for that purpose. I still think the problem is more installation than wear or defect. This would be even more likely if the rifle were bought used by the owner because there's no telling what may have been done to it in the past.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drail; are the results you posted the other guy's or yours? You should fire it yourself with known accurate ammo before trying to figure out what may be wrong with it. The shooter is a huge factor. When shooting for accuracy, you must maintain discipline throughout the session, not give in to more rapid fire and looser sighting. Otherwise, something is changing as the barrel heats up. The cold groups would be bad if the barrel were bad as far as chamber and bore are concerned. The Bushmaster probably has a 'government profile' barrel. If the bore were off-center, and the barrel warped a little from uneven heating, it seems like you would get 'stringing' as the shots followed the direction of the very slight bend, but that should stabilize after a uniform temperature is reached.
However, if you have a known good barrel, that certainly could tell the tale if it holds groups as it heats. If you swap it, you might consider squaring-off the nose of the upper if you have access to the mill for that purpose. I still think the problem is more installation than wear or defect. This would be even more likely if the rifle were bought used by the owner because there's no telling what may have been done to it in the past.
View Quote

Thanks for the note saxman. The barrel nut was slightly loose. Loos enough it was getting some gas leaking when shooting with a can. I tightened it and he shot again and got the same results. The shooting is him and his brother. I've got the rifle back and am going to test it myself when the weather cools a bit. He did buy the rifle used from an individual so no telling what kind of round count it had. It is a Govt Profile barrel. He's got good glass on the rifle, a Zeiss 4-12x42. I'll see what results I get and post again. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Scope mount loose?  I know highly unlikely
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Some of you guys must have some janky ass rifles if groups open up 10moa after  20 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I got out and shot the rifle myself today. Shoots like $#!^ !!!!!!  This was shot with no can at 100 yards after removing the barrel and reinstalling and tightening the nut. The Zeiss Scope on the rifle has been checked by Zeiss. He first thought it was the scope and sent it in to Zeiss to be checked. It checked good. Mount is very solid.

I shot a box of 20 rounds of Winchester USA 55gr FMJ. Not the best ammo but I've had good results from it in the past.

The scope was way off with only 1 of the first 3 shots on paper. I made two quick adjustments to get it close to center. After that, I fired the remaining 14 rounds with about 15 seconds between shots.

The two adjusting groups were much bigger than what I normally shoot with my own rifles. As you can see, the 14 shot group got bigger and bigger as I shot.

I'm going to suggest he get a new barrel and a free-float rail.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
The upper needs to be disassembled and the front sight post or gas block removed along with the gas tube in order to torque the barrel nut properly. The threads should be cleaned then lubed with high temperature moly fortified grease. The nut must be tightened to 35" lbs. three times and then tightened past 35 inch lbs. until the gas tube aligns and can pass through the upper receiver without binding against the barrel nut.

Simply snugging it a little with the gas tube still in place will not work. If the rifle is relatively new I'd send it back to the manufacturer under warranty.

Quality ammo is mandatory when trying to figure problems out. Ball ammo is insufficiently accurate to let you know if you've got it fixed, 52/53 grain match ammo, 69 or 77 grain Sierra Match Kings will let you really see how your rifle can perform. It will also spoil you into becoming a reloader.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top