Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2014 1:10:54 PM EDT
I have a spare in hand but the material left is too shallow to use an easy out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#1]
How?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Moronic gunsmith put about 10x as much locktite as was necessary to attach the barrel nut about a year ago, so I took it to another gunsmith to get it off to put a different rail on who used a Geissele rod instead of a receiver vice. So the pin sheared before the but broke free
ETA missed info
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to know.  

Punt.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Loctite has no business on a barrel nut.  And reaction rods aren't the right choice for torquing barrel nuts particularly tough ones, but I repeat myself...

The pins are just press fit into the barrel extension.  If you can't pull it out any other way, perhaps drill a (small) hole into the middle of the pin and then start a tiny sheet metal screw into the hole to get a grip on it.  Understand that there's only about 1/8 inch or so of pin that's inside the barrel extension so definitely don't drill too deep.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Moronic gunsmith put about 10x as much locktite as was necessary to attach the barrel nut about a year ago, so I took it to another gunsmith to get it off to put a different rail on who used a Geissele rod instead of a receiver vice. So the pin sheared before the but broke free
ETA missed info
View Quote

He shouldnt have used any at all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I used a 7/64 drill bit to get my sheared pin out.   Slowly drill into the pin a little bit on forward, then reverse the rotation so the bit will bite into the pin.  I was able to spin what was left of the pin up and out.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used a 7/64 drill bit to get my sheared pin out.   Slowly drill into the pin a little bit on forward, then reverse the rotation so the bit will bite into the pin.  I was able to spin what was left of the pin up and out.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/squidkid/media/DSCN4113_zps094094bd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/squidkid/DSCN4113_zps094094bd.jpg</a>
View Quote

Fantastic. Thanks mate
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, the reaction rod is still racking up at least one index pin a month.

Sure, Loctite made the situation a lot worse but the reaction rod sealed the deal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Two this month so far.  Mine was Tuesday night. Yeah...............
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Makes sense, the more popular the reaction rod gets this is bound to happen more often.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Loctite on a barrel nut?

I've always used AeroShell 33MS and haven't had one come loose yet (and I own a shooting school and my training AR's see a LOT of student use).

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Loctite on a barrel nut?

I've always used AeroShell 33MS and haven't had one come loose yet (and I own a shooting school and my training AR's see a LOT of student use).

Am I missing something?
View Quote

Just clueless gunsmiths being clueless.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Loctite on a barrel nut?

Am I missing something?

Not only charging for their expertise, but getting away with it, again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been making and owning AR15s since 1996, and I thought I had at least HEARD of most everything. But I thought the indexing pin was part of the extension. Okay, its not. But WTH is a 'reaction rod'?

ETA: Okay, went back and studied the thread again - it must be a device to use instead of the proper block/vise? That's why I don't know what it is - I wouldn't use it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am having brain fade about why this happens, how the forces shear pins.  How do the forces through using a reaction rod cause this to happen. I have only used receiver blocks but have considered a reaction rod for muzzle brakes and barrel work to avoid the twist on a receiver but I am probably overthinking this.  
Gamma, if you read this I hope you comment.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am having brain fade about why this happens, how the forces shear pins.  How do the forces through using a reaction rod cause this to happen. I have only used receiver blocks but have considered a reaction rod for muzzle brakes and barrel work to avoid the twist on a receiver but I am probably overthinking this.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Reaction Rod holds at the barrel extension lugs and stops the barrel from turning in the receiver but torque applied to the barrel nut rotates the upper receiver against the index pin. The index pin will shear depending on how stuck the barrel nut is to the upper receiver threads.

The vast majority of the people on this forum will say this can't happen despite the fact that this happens once or twice a month around here with pictures to prove it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you, sir.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Reaction Rod holds at the barrel extension lugs and stops the barrel from turning in the receiver but torque applied to the barrel nut rotates the upper receiver against the index pin. The index pin will shear depending on how stuck the barrel nut is to the upper receiver threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So clamping the barrel in a vise (as in the picture above, presumable from the tech manual) would result in the same problem.
I guess with a stubborn barrel nut you risk a problem no matter what you do, reaction rod/barrel in vise shear the pin, receiver block bend your receiver. Maybe try both at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So clamping the barrel in a vise (as in the picture above, presumable from the tech manual) would result in the same problem.
I guess with a stubborn barrel nut you risk a problem no matter what you do, reaction rod/barrel in vise shear the pin, receiver block bend your receiver. Maybe try both at the same time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Though your best bet is the clam shell upper receiver vise blocks.

Also, with the barrel blocks you stand a chance of loosening your barrel from the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#22]
So, on the barrel nut, he used the exact opposite of the material he was supposed to use then?

Hey Frank, I need some very specific grease. Screw it, let's just use the strongest glue we have handy. It's wet too, right?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#24]
So I am getting ready to buy something to install a new free float handguard,  what do I need a reactiion rod or clamshell vise clamps
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I know of 2 different types of upper receiver supports.  The clam shell and the insert types.  The clam shell does not fit every upper receiver but the insert style does.  The link to the clam shell type also shows the lower receiver block.  I have and use both.

Upper receiver insert style

Clamshell style
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I know of 2 different types of upper receiver supports.  The clam shell and the insert types.  The clam shell does not fit every upper receiver but the insert style does.  The link to the clam shell type also shows the lower receiver block.  I have and use both.

Clamshell style
View Quote

I would avoid the vise block in the first link. Those pin style blocks damage upper receivers all the time when trying to use them for barrel installation or removal.

The only safe way to use the pin style vise blocks for barrel installation or removal is when they are combined with a block that goes over the top rail and then this gets clamped sideways in a vise.

Like in this link. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xJXP3wY6x4&list=UUkCUNbusbwJOIIxg_feoyFg
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I would avoid the vise block in the first link. Those pin style blocks damage upper receivers all the time when trying to use them for barrel installation or removal.

The only safe way to use the pin style vise blocks for barrel installation or removal is when they are combined with a block that goes over the top rail and then this gets clamped sideways in a vise.

Like in this link. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xJXP3wY6x4&list=UUkCUNbusbwJOIIxg_feoyFg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clamshell style

The DPMS Panther Claw is what is used by DPMS during assembly of their factory rifles.  Probably hundreds of thousands if not more rifle they have produced, and you don't hear about bent receivers.   The blocks that have no insert and only have have push pins to hold the upper are the ones that allow the upper to flex and bend.  I have used the Panther Claw for over a decade, for over a hundred assembly/disassemblies easily, including some with serious barrel nut torque... never a problem. Ever. The upper is supported from the inside with that block. With that said, I like the clam shell blocks as well; I have used them before too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Probably hundreds of thousands if not more rifle they have produced, and you don't hear about bent receivers.
View Quote

... don't hear about bent receivers.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/627276__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Broke_my_upper___.html&page=1#i6221683
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#29]
A ton of locktite... was it heated up first? Sounds like user error...

(not that locktite should have even been present)
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably hundreds of thousands if not more rifle they have produced, and you don't hear about bent receivers.

... don't hear about bent receivers.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/627276__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Broke_my_upper___.html&page=1#i6221683

Huh.  Learned something new.  Either way, that is still what they use and I have my experience.  Always exceptions I suppose.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top