Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 9:20:23 AM EDT
My friend just purchased and AR, and when we took it out yesterday we were having FTF problems. We tried both Tulammo 223 and Winchester whitebox 5.56. About every third shot it would either not load a round from the mag, or the bolt carrier would ride over the round and jam it. Here is a picture when the bolt carrier would slide over the top of the round. This is his first AR, and I could not figure out what was wrong with it. I have a Colt 6920 and have never had any failures with it. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. http://imgur.com/GXI7Ncg

Just incase the picture will not upload.      http://imgur.com/GXI7Ncg
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
try another mag? does the bolt always lock open on the last round?
probably a mag issue
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The bolt does not stay open on the last round. I tried 3 different mags and none worked, but they did work on my AR. They were all magpul.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The bolt would stay open if i manually charged it with no round in the mag.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the same issue my dad is having with his 20" rifle.

The bolt is not cycling back far enough.  If you put 1 round in the mag, and fire, the bolt should hold open.  If it doesn't then the bolt is not traveling rearward far enough.  Usually indicates an issue with not having enough gas to drive the bolt rearward.

But, Tula .223 ammo is pretty fucky.  It has a quick pressure spike, then the pressure drops fast.  It's probably the worst performing ammo out there.  Try some Federal, ZQI, PPU, or any other 5.56 ammo.  Clean the thing well first.

Got any other specs on his AR?  New?  Used?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
could be a gas issue but could try his upper on your lower to rule out other the lower, maybe swap bolts and see if it still occurs if its new from a manufacturer could always send it back.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the advice. I don't think the problem was the gun being dirty. It was practally new, but I'm going to try the suggestions listed and if I am still having trouble i will report back.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Agree with prior suggestions.  Sounds like 2 problems at once, feeding and bolt hold back.  Points to assembly lube or other stuff you don't want in the rifle.
The feeding problem is usually mags, but you have reliable mags which points to cleaning.
Check the bolt catch carefully, either there is bad stuff in there or the catch may be bad.

Often it is assumed that a new rifle is a clean rifle but this is almost never the case.  

Inquiring minds want to hear how you are doing.

Best,
Rick
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top