Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2014 9:50:27 AM EDT
HI all...
So I figured I'd drop a little note about my range day yesterday with my new AR. I assembled it from scratch (including the upper) piecing it together over a 6-8 month period. I had actually finished it a while ago, but I recently moved and I had not had the chance to bring it out for a while.

Not to bury the lead; it's a .300 Blackout and supersonic worked fine, but sub's short-stroked. And I'm not sure if troubleshooting a variant should go to Variants forum or the Troubleshooting forum... but I'm gonna guess Troubleshooting (since the issues are not caliber-specific --I THINK -- ), so here goes....

Other than taking longer to sight-in that I would have liked (probably due to cheap optics performing like cheap optics do; which I obviously expected) things worked well. I do have one question for the group though...

As I mentioned, I had short-stoked shots with sub-sonic ammo (Remington factory loads). And all things considered, I was half-expecting that, with all I've heard. But I even had one or two fail-to-feeds with supersonic ammo (again, Remington Factory loads) that appeared to be misalignment due to a borderline short-stroke.

So I've either got A) too much mass; B) too much spring); or C) not enough gas.

I've got a nice hydrolic buffer, which is last on my list of things I'd prefer to replace, and the BCG is mil-spec, so I'm going to concentrate on B) and C). Obviously swapping out the spring is the easiest, but since I personally aligned the block/tube/barrel interface, I am actually most suspicious of that possibility.

So my question is; Are there any tricks to checking the gas block alignment that don't require you to disassemble the joint (thus requiring you to re-align the components and introducing a new opportunity to foul it up? OR... Does the almost proper function show that I'm obviously lined up and I should just shut up and buy a new spring?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
300 Blk was designed to run with a standard spring and carbine buffer.  My bet is the "hydraulic buffer" is just too heavy.  Try a standard carbine buffer before you go to the trouble of drilling port holes and adjustable gas blocks.  Search www.300blktalk.com about the problem.  There are posts ad nausem about others with the same problem and their fixes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
300 Blk was designed to run with a standard spring and carbine buffer.  My bet is the "hydraulic buffer" is just too heavy.  Try a standard carbine buffer before you go to the trouble of drilling port holes and adjustable gas blocks.  Search www.300blktalk.com about the problem.  There are posts ad nausem about others with the same problem and their fixes.
View Quote

thanks.. I hadn't looked for any 300-specific sites... (I have enough trouble keeping up with the sites I'm already on)   but I'll take a look at that one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds to be an ammo thing, with the gas port set up for the super sonic loads.

A reduced tension buffer spring, or reduced mass buffer may help, as well as coming up with a slower burning bulkier powder to produce the sub sonic loads as well.

Short of that, gas system tuned for the subsonic loads to cycle the rifle correctly, and an adjustable gas block wide open for the subsonic load, then dial back for the higher port pressure super sonic loads.

P.S, don't confuse working gas port pressure with actual over-all working pressures.  Some subsonic loads use fast burning powder that will have around the same working pressures, but since the powder burns so fast, the pike dwell of the pressure happens so close to the chamber, that by the time the bullet reaches the gas port to charge the system, the residual working pressure has dropped way down instead.
View Quote

Thanks... And as a mechanical engineer who reloads...  I DO understand your point.   - But Since this was my first time out with this rifle, I was sticking to factory loads (in order to remove any issues from my hand-loads from the equation).   If it turns out that I just need a custom recipe to run sub' ammo, then I'm ok with that (I've already bought the dies for 300) but I was just hoping that the factory stuff would "just work"... That, and I usually dont' buy virgin brass (I just shoot factory ammo then keep the brass to reload) so I haven't even looked at 300 recipes yet.  I reload 45 acp, which is a 230gr slug at 900 FPS, so I figured that the recipe wold be close, ( i have the LEE Die to pour a 230 grain .308 slug) but with your point above, I would definitely NOT want to just duplicate an ACP with just a bit more powder to get it up around 1000 FPS. I'll need to start from scratch with a much slower powder than the W231 I use with .45

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have found from day back with cast'd bullets in 7.62 x 39, try to run rounds at 1600fps or slower with gas checked lead bullets. If you push them to 1800fps, just ends up leading the barrel very quickly.  As for non gas checked lead cast bullets, they need to be kept under 1200fps.

On the positive note, even the lee bullet sizer will allow you to install gas check cups on the base of the casted bullets (just need to make sure that the bullet mold is for gas checks/cups).
View Quote

Good to know.   I think that way it will pan out is that if I'm going to shoot a supersonic bullet, I'll be using something else (M4 clone, or my AK). If I break out the 300, it will probable be only for suppressed shooting. I expect that I'll be loading 300blk to 1050fpss or less, so I should be good without a gas check.  - I'll do some experimentation, but I'm guessing with a power-coat and a low pressure load, I should be fine.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Even at the lower speeds, still run gas checks/ a gas check bullet design.  
The gas checks help to keep the barrel from leading up, even with slower speed rounds.

Gas checks are very cheap for a pack of 2K or more, and since they install when you are sizing the casted bullets anyway (put the gas check on the bullet and run it through the sizer/waxer), less than a half second to install them as you sizing the bullets after casting.
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141210335708?lpid=82[url=http://

http://]
Casted bullet designed for gas checks, and you can tell this by just looking at the base of the bullet.
http://leeprecision.com/graphics/shoppingcart/chrtbull.jpg

And FYI, lee only makes gas checked design bullet molds in 30 cal, and you need to run gas checks on them or will have blow by past the base of the bullet, ending up with the round not very accurate.
http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/rifle-bullet-molds/bullet-mold-double-cavity/
View Quote

Thanks for the info (again) Dano... Like I mentioned, I hadn't even looked into the recipes yet, but since you seem to have some direct experience, do you have a suggestion on which powder(s) might be in the range I'd be looking for?  This will be my first time reloading rifle rounds (except for once over 30 years ago when I reloaded a batch of 30-30 ammo for my Win-94... it got me started in reloading, but I haven't done any rifle rounds since then)

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#9]
So, just to close this out...
It turns out that the hydrolic buffer was just too heavy.  I tried a reduced pressure spring, which DID allow the BCG to cycle all the bay back, but in order to handle that the spring had to be so weak that it couldn't even strip the next round off of the magazine (and I had to use the forward assist on each round.

So then I wen back to the full power spring and used a lightened carbine buffer, and PRESTO... a perfectly cycling AR-15 with all ammo types.

but.. on the up side... the next AR build I do will start with a nice buffer... :)

-
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top