Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:12:35 AM EDT
So I was getting a bunch of failure to feeds like this

And I think I found the problem, from what it looks like my feed ramps and misaligned

I was told I could use a dremel with a chainsaw stone tip and take that down a bit so it'll match up. I'm a little afraid of doing that and accidentally making the problem much worse. What do you guys think? Does it need to be dremeled? Should I do it if it does?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess if you use a dremel for stuff then it will work.  I am a file and sandpaper guy myself but as long as the end product turns out the same, the tool does not matter.
Yes the feed ramps may very well be your problem. If not, I would still get them lined up and smooth anyway.
The Barrel looks like it is not centered correctly with your receiver so the little male/ female groove at the front of your receiver where the barrel meets may not have been a good fit with the barrel. Realligning the barrel is probobly a better fix but your dremel idea may very well fix it also. I only worry that the bolt teeth will hit the barrel extension grooves and possibly break off a tooth if they are not alligned properly as well ,leaving your bolt carrier looking like this>
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]
New rifle?  Send it back.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess if you use a dremel for stuff then it will work.  I am a file and sandpaper guy myself but as long as the end product turns out the same, the tool does not matter.
Yes the feed ramps may very well be your problem. If not, I would still get them lined up and smooth anyway.
The Barrel looks like it is not centered correctly with your receiver so the little male/ female groove at the front of your receiver where the barrel meets may not have been a good fit with the barrel. Realligning the barrel is probobly a better fix but your dremel idea may very well fix it also. I only worry that the bolt teeth will hit the barrel extension grooves and possibly break off a tooth if they are not alligned properly as well ,leaving your bolt carrier looking like this>

So if I take a look at my BCG should I see some scratches or something if it's not aligned with the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:55:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's also what I was thinking.
I sent the armorer I bought it from an email along with pictures. He said he warranties all work so I'll probably just send it back.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
send it back.  as soon as you work on it and possibly mess it up, warranty may become void.  ask if you can watch or assist and maybe learn something.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not a feed ramp problem with the jam (maybe, since the short stroke problem could be that with the slipped barrel, and bolt to barrel extension lugs off causing a bind at lock/unlock).

Take a look at the first photo, and note how the bolt is not behind the round rim, but on top of the case instead.

Here the problem is either the rifle is short stroking, with the bolt never getting back behind the rim, or the mag not recovering fast enough to get the top round in the mag up against the feed lips for the bolt (if it is getting behind the rim) to strip the round out correctly, or the mag just not retained high enough in the well for the bolt to correctly strip a round from behind the rim.

As for the barrel ramps to the upper receiver ramps, the barrel spun as the barrel nut was being tightened, and the reason that the ramps are not lined up.

So on that note, barrel needs to be reinstalled, the gas tube to carrier key aligned correctly, and then function fired to first confirm that the bolt is full stroking, the mag checked to confirm that its retained high enough in the mag well for the bolt to correctly strip the round.

I think you are right on, and that's what I originally thought. I think it's short stroking because I ran a little test, and I don't know how accurate the test actually is but this is what I did, I loaded up 10 round into 6 different magazines and for all 60 rounds I locked the bolt to the rear then sent it home, every single round fed flawlessly. That's why I ruled out magazines. And I thought because it was feeding perfectly the feed ramps weren't affecting it, but I had someone tell me the feed ramps were the cause of my problem. I think my buffer is too heavy and/or it's under gassed. I have a 16" mid length has system with a spikes tactical ST-T2 heavy buffer and buffer spring so I think the bolt isn't coming back far enough.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's also what I was thinking.
I sent the armorer I bought it from an email along with pictures. He said he warranties all work so I'll probably just send it back.

Good plan.    Better plan, is DIY
How will you know if he doesn't just shim the pin slot with a sliver from his beer can and send it back?

Get you money back.  Let him figure out the rest
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top