Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2017 6:27:25 PM EDT
Even though I have a couple of ARs, My first and only ground up build so far is a LR 308 Xanthos Light weight 6.5 CM build.

I want to start another, less expensive build on the AR-15 platform using a more economical upper/lower combo with a "premium" barrel /BCG

With sets from Aero, PSA, Live Free Armory or Karris Guns out there for a very reasonable cost, if I go with a "premium" barrel (ie Lilja, Proof Research) is it best to keep the BCG brand the same as the barrel, or at least what the barrel manufacturer suggests?

Or since this is all mil spec, am I able to use whatever barrel/BCG combo I want with a certain degree of confidence?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Many times with barrel mfrs they will sell you a headspaced bolt with the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you want to use it for? I would use a Faxon, Green Mountain, or other quality barrel, CMC or Triggertech adjustable trigger and bargain shop the residual parts. You should be able to build a .75MOA for less than $850.
Putting a Proof Barrel on lower priced components does not make sense. So unless you are after a match grade bolt and barrel most any milspec bolt will work with a quality barrel.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you want to use it for? I would use a Faxon, Green Mountain, or other quality barrel, CMC or Triggertech adjustable trigger and bargain shop the residual parts. You should be able to build a .75MOA for less than $850.
Putting a Proof Barrel on lower priced components does not make sense. So unless you are after a match grade bolt and barrel most any milspec bolt will work with a quality barrel.
View Quote
I mean the Upper and Lower are pretty standard, so it really shouldn't matter.
If you want a matched billet set go ahead, but you're not going to gain much. I bring my upper into my Local Gun Store, and find the lower with the best fit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top