Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 10:58:26 PM EDT
New to ar15s so i'm sorry in advance if this comes off as a dumb question, but is it possible to pin a low pro gas block after removing a factory fsb? The reason why i'm asking is after I removed the fsb, the taper pins holding the fsb in place were obviously pinned into the barrel, they've left two notches on the barrel. My question is, will one of these notches interfere with the potential third notch that I will make once pinning the gas block? I'm currently in college outside my home state and don't have my rifle with me so I can't just take the ffr and the gas block out and estimate. Has anyone ever done this? I'd really appreciate any info, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I would've just cut down the pinned fsb with a hacksaw and dremel. That way you retain the reliability of a pinned fsb while keeping it low profile.

The only pro I see to pinning a low profile over cutting down is that you can get an adjustable gas block.

I would think that it wouldn't interfere as the fsb pins are a lot wider than the low profile gas block.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Cut down FSB and use that it's cheap easy and effective.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
New to ar15s so i'm sorry in advance if this comes off as a dumb question, but is it possible to pin a low pro gas block after removing a factory fsb? The reason why i'm asking is after I removed the fsb, the taper pins holding the fsb in place were obviously pinned into the barrel, they've left two notches on the barrel. My question is, will one of these notches interfere with the potential third notch that I will make once pinning the gas block? I'm currently in college outside my home state and don't have my rifle with me so I can't just take the ffr and the gas block out and estimate. Has anyone ever done this? I'd really appreciate any info, thanks.
View Quote

So...you want people to answer your question with no measurements, no pictures, and you don't even have the rifle with you to provide us with any other info  ??

Go have someone get a measuring caliper, and measure the c/l from the pins to the edge where it meets the barrel shoulder.
Then....measure the set screw c/l from the edge of the block gas block where it will meet the barrel shoulder.

Then....you compare the 2 measurements.
After that, you will know if you have a fitment issue.

If you do have a fitment issue, you can fill it in with a weld.

Next time...do some research before hacking up your gun.
Probably would have made more sense just to build what you wanted from the start.

-
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your input, I originally found a good deal on a set screw yhm gas block for $15.00, that's why i initially didn't go "the shaving of the fsb" route  if there is a fitment issue i'll just shave the fsb down and be out 15 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, i'll be looking into that if this low pro gas block pinning doesn't do the job.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting take on the welding, but I won't be getting into that much trouble. Worst case, if I suspect fitment issues, i'll just shave the fsb down and just be out 15 bucks for the low pro yhm gas block I had bought. Initially bought the gas block to save weight. I also wouldn't considering properly punching out the pins of the fsb and installing a set screwed gas block as "hacking" my gun Just thought i'd ask if anyone had a similar experience.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top