Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2017 7:56:01 PM EDT
For a long time if thought about doing a suppressed 300 BO SBR to run subsonic AND supersonic ammo. This would be an HD gun.

Two questions:

1. Are such weapons difficult to get right?  I mean, to run subs and supers reliably?

2. Is it worth it to add another caliber? I mean, instead of just staying with 5.55?

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
My 9" BCM runs my hand loaded 220gr subs and 147gr supers reliably, suppressed and unsuppressed.  No issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 9" BCM runs my hand loaded 220gr subs and 147gr supers reliably, suppressed and unsuppressed.  No issues whatsoever.
View Quote
Yeah, I was thinking just buy a complete upper. BMC stuff looks good. What suppressor you running?

You have it double stamped?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I built my 9 inch SBR piece by piece. Never had one issue running suppressed or unsuppressed and didn't have to tinker with it at all.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My 16 inch is extremely quiet.

With that being said, the pistol length has system did require me opening up the port a bit when using subs/unsupressed. Tried multiple buffer combinations and even took some weights out of a carbine buffer.

An adjustable gas block makes it extremely pleasurable to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I built my 9 inch SBR piece by piece. Never had one issue running suppressed or unsuppressed and didn't have to tinker with it at all.
View Quote
Same with my 10" BA pistol gas w/"H" buffer

Also built a 14.5"  pin and weld, same everything else....Zero issue.

I feel 80% of the issues you hear about are from people screwing with something just because the Internet said to.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I feel 80% of the issues you hear about are from people screwing with something just because the Internet said to.
View Quote
I agree with this 100%.

If you do get into tuning the rifle, as long as you tune it to cycle subsonic rounds unsuppressed, it should run everything else just fine, but probably would be slightly over-gassed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]

1. Are such weapons difficult to get right?  I mean, to run subs and supers reliably?
View Quote

I built a suppressed 300 BO with a pistol-length 10" barrel.  It has never failed to cycle, subs or supers.  Do your research on port sizes first, then build with confidence.

As to the additional caliber, that's a personal choice.  The one thing you have to be very careful about is to NEVER mix .223 and 300 BO -- a bolt *can* close on a 300 BO cartridge in a .223 chamber, resulting in a kaboom when the firing pin hits.  I have my 300 BO magazines distinctly marked, but that is not a guarantee -- I generally have no 300 BO out when shooting a .223 rifle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Shooting both supers and subs is typically a theory people have before actually owning the gun unless you are just using it for plinking at the range.  The point of impact is very different between the rounds so there is not a great way to make it work.  I shot a friend's Noveske w/ AAC SDN-6 prior to my tax stamps coming back and subs were like 8" low and 7" to the left if I recall.  You can't really manage a holdover with that.  I had I thought a simple goal of having a zero with supers at 100yds and holdover for subs (for outlaw 3-gun) for close shots.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Above post is very true.

I'm thinking of a qd mount on the red dot for subs, and moving my Nixon carbine scope into another qd mount for supers.

The scope is mounted to my 14.5 upper now and with the hold over marks, Its very close to zeroed for subs and supers by using different  holdover marks....
Ya right! Try and remember that...
So I ordered a red dot for subs, and its on the 10' and left the scope on the 14.5"
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I agree with this 100%.

If you do get into tuning the rifle, as long as you tune it to cycle subsonic rounds unsuppressed, it should run everything else just fine, but probably would be slightly over-gassed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with this 100%.

And I agree with this 100%

Built the 300 for subs, and with my combo of parts, for whatever crazy reason, subs and supers both end up ejecting at aprox 3:30 and basically in one pile.

Pistol gas is the trick....
i think it makes everything more "even" between the subs and supers.

Or BA has a magic gas port.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top