Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 8:37:06 PM EDT
I don't know if this exists... but I was hoping for a Taiwan T91 lower receiver vector graphics or something so I can use my laser to engrave it. I can do most of the letters (I can type in Chinese) but that Taiwan Armory logo I can't really do...

if anyone can help, thanks in advanced.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You might have to make your own. I thought about building one, but trying to find a similar hand guard was impossible.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I just made one... I had to draw the logo in CorelDraw myself...

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=54208749995261230774

I hope this works...

The paint is to cover any dots and stuff that I made trying to position the laser. I will salt etch it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just made one... I had to draw the logo in CorelDraw myself...

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=54208749995261230774

I hope this works...

http://i.imgur.com/UAk9qJu.jpg

The paint is to cover any dots and stuff that I made trying to position the laser. I will salt etch it.
View Quote
Seems like the makings of a cool build. Please keep this updated.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea I got some Wolf T91 upper coming, and parts kit and stock.

I'm spending too much money, and that is in addition to the 3000 dollars I'm sinking into a lathe.

I'm doing this because I just got a paid teaching assistant job at my university... nothing big, just supporting a 1 hour lecture series course (graduate students must attend). But it will bring in extra money and not to mention huge amount of networking (really distinguished scientist from all over the world speaks there)
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yea I got some Wolf T91 upper coming, and parts kit and stock.

I'm spending too much money, and that is in addition to the 3000 dollars I'm sinking into a lathe.

I'm doing this because I just got a paid teaching assistant job at my university... nothing big, just supporting a 1 hour lecture series course (graduate students must attend). But it will bring in extra money and not to mention huge amount of networking (really distinguished scientist from all over the world speaks there)
View Quote
I assume you make instruments as well, so good luck with your bank account...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:45:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I assume you make instruments as well, so good luck with your bank account...
View Quote
Yes, I did make instruments for a living. I had one commissions but honestly that was one phase of my life in the past... I was in Taiwan and as you know, making guns is a CAPITAL (meaning possible death penalty) offense in Taiwan. What are they so afraid that they're open to the possibility of executing someone for having a piece of metal??

At least in America they don't execute people for making guns.

I tried to etch the painted lower... unfortunately I was not having much success. I formed a dam around the text with clay and went etching, but unfortunately either the etch was VERY shallow (meaning I can let it react for a long time and the etch is only skin deep) or the bubbling force was so powerful that it was destroying details. For Chinese texts fine detail is very important and I am going to try it again with the vinyl. I find if I set the laser power fairly high and the speed fast, I can engrave deep stuff (such as a vinyl sheet) in one pass without messing up details. I know vinyl holds up much better compared to paint...

And yea, me getting the Wolf A1 upper is my way of saying #@$% YOU to the gun control laws in Taiwan. As well as just having something that I used in the army.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, I did make instruments for a living. I had one commissions but honestly that was one phase of my life in the past... I was in Taiwan and as you know, making guns is a CAPITAL (meaning possible death penalty) offense in Taiwan. What are they so afraid that they're open to the possibility of executing someone for having a piece of metal??

At least in America they don't execute people for making guns.

I tried to etch the painted lower... unfortunately I was not having much success. I formed a dam around the text with clay and went etching, but unfortunately either the etch was VERY shallow (meaning I can let it react for a long time and the etch is only skin deep) or the bubbling force was so powerful that it was destroying details. For Chinese texts fine detail is very important and I am going to try it again with the vinyl. I find if I set the laser power fairly high and the speed fast, I can engrave deep stuff (such as a vinyl sheet) in one pass without messing up details. I know vinyl holds up much better compared to paint...

And yea, me getting the Wolf A1 upper is my way of saying #@$% YOU to the gun control laws in Taiwan. As well as just having something that I used in the army.
View Quote
I used this stencil and method on an unfinished lower with okay results. It turned out okay, but I forgot to clean the lower, so the stencil didn't stick 100%.

I live in California, so I wouldn't know what full freedom feels like.

That's cool, the last time anyone in my family had a link to the Chinese military, was when Sun Yat Sen led it, so that was quite awhile ago.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried...

Problem is, when I apply the stencil to the lower, then laser it, there's an invisible layer of adhesive that isn't burned off and you won't know until you apply current. By then it's too late. With really small details (which is really apparent on Chinese characters) you can try to transfer the vinyl and only parts of it will transfer. So after several tries, and sanding it off when it just would not cut it, I give up... I can only do this so many times before the lower looks like it's got its serial number wiped off... and that's bad because anyone in Law Enforcement sees that is going to confiscate it and send it to a lab to determine that, while I sit in jail trying to prove my innocence (while they figure out what other obscure laws they can charge me with).

This guy sells a lower that's been engraved with a fiber laser...

https://www.atomicengraving.com/product/ar15-80-forged-lower-clone-republic-china-taiwan-t91-replica/

At 99 dollars it's a little steep considering I got a bunch of Tactical Machining ones I got that costs way less...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tried...

Problem is, when I apply the stencil to the lower, then laser it, there's an invisible layer of adhesive that isn't burned off and you won't know until you apply current. By then it's too late. With really small details (which is really apparent on Chinese characters) you can try to transfer the vinyl and only parts of it will transfer. So after several tries, and sanding it off when it just would not cut it, I give up... I can only do this so many times before the lower looks like it's got its serial number wiped off... and that's bad because anyone in Law Enforcement sees that is going to confiscate it and send it to a lab to determine that, while I sit in jail trying to prove my innocence (while they figure out what other obscure laws they can charge me with).

This guy sells a lower that's been engraved with a fiber laser...

https://www.atomicengraving.com/product/ar15-80-forged-lower-clone-republic-china-taiwan-t91-replica/

At 99 dollars it's a little steep considering I got a bunch of Tactical Machining ones I got that costs way less...
View Quote
I wish someone would just make a finished stripper lower with the markings. I'm not sure why wolf isn't doing it themselves along with either importing or making copies of things like the pistol grip, stock, and carry handle sight. I think a lot of the people buying these would buy a few of the extras to make more of a clone. I know wolf said they were looking at importing some of it but I'd like to know when.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wish someone would just make a finished stripper lower with the markings. I'm not sure why wolf isn't doing it themselves along with either importing or making copies of things like the pistol grip, stock, and carry handle sight. I think a lot of the people buying these would buy a few of the extras to make more of a clone. I know wolf said they were looking at importing some of it but I'd like to know when.
View Quote
Most likely importing, as they can just ship as many uppers as they want.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#11]
You can't import Taiwanese lowers at all!

They are full auto, with the hole for the auto sear drilled, and it comes with full auto part kit.

Unless you are a Class 3 dealer making dealer samples, it absolutely cannot be sold to civilians unless they repeal the Hughs Amendment.

I do not know if Wolf Performance Ammunition has a 7 FFL because they would need that to sell complete lower clone (but semi auto).
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can't import Taiwanese lowers at all!

They are full auto, with the hole for the auto sear drilled, and it comes with full auto part kit.

Unless you are a Class 3 dealer making dealer samples, it absolutely cannot be sold to civilians unless they repeal the Hughs Amendment.

I do not know if Wolf Performance Ammunition has a 7 FFL because they would need that to sell complete lower clone (but semi auto).
View Quote
I'm pretty sure we're talking about cloned lowers. Semi auto receivers, but with similar markings to make it look like a T91.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#13]
We can ask if the usual FFL's can make one... does not have to be WPA
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Finally got it...

I still lose some details but it came out better than before... and I got it deep enough (any deeper and further details will be lost)

I think with small things like serial numbers and stuff vinyl isn't the best thing to use because the area is so small, you can easily lose tiny bits and pieces of details. I need something that sticks VERY well...
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#15]
It looks very nice.  What does it say?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It looks very nice.  What does it say?
View Quote
First line: 5.56mm T91 rifle

Second line: Made in Republic of China

Honestly I wished they imported T65 uppers... I used it and lots more sentimentality for me. It could be sold cheaper since they are hand-me-downs so Taiwan would have lots of them. Damn the stupid 922r rule
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top