Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2017 7:51:32 AM EDT
This is the second time I'm creating this post, since the first one was an "in progres" thread. Three years ago I helped my brother assemble a 300 Blackout AR15. I had never been a fan of the AR platform, but I fell in love with the upgradability and market saturation in parts. I started my build with an 80% lower, but after buying a billet side-charging upper, I became dissatisfied with the lines mismatching between my lower and upper receivers, so I purchased a billet lower. As cliche as this sounds, I had a dream about an AR15 that had a hexagonal barrel, and I knew that I had to find one. After searching the internet for weeks, I determined that such a barrel did not exist. Using the drafting skills I got in college as a mechanical engineer, I decided to design my own barrel (settling on octagonal, instead of hexagonal). I purchased a stainless steel, 24" 1x8 bull barrel, and sent it along with my designs to have it milled into the shape I desired. Once again, I found myself scouring the Intermet for a furniture kit that I thought would do my build justice. Having loved m16a1 furniture, I was leaning toward an original a1 stock set when I stumbled across Ironwood Designs solid walnut stock sets. I ordered a bare wood set so I could choose my own varnish, and spent a few weeks sanding the handguards to fit my bull barrel, since they were meant for a pencil barrel. Im convinced that I managed to find the only a1 handguard cap in existence that had been bored out to fit on a bull barrel, and found a JP adjustable gas block that was also octagonal, to match the profile of my barrel. Since my upper receiver had no dust cover or forward assist, I was hell bent of getting a BCG that had neither forward assist notches or a cutout to accomodate a dustcover (slabside style BCG).
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Young Manufacturing stainless steel side charging BCG, because it matched the shape of my barrel perfectly. A few minor parts later (Including a custom engraved magazine release, JP silent captured recoil spring, paddle selectors, antiwalk/rotation pins, etc), the rifle was assembled, but needed a trigger. After talking with my friend, who is also the local gun store owner, I decided on a Geisselle trigger, with full pull weight adjustment on both the first and second stage. I took the rifle out and test fired it, having to tune my gas block to proper cycling. I noticed a week later that the high humidity environment here in North Carolina had caused surface rust to form on most of the mild steel bolts that held my gas block together, on my safety selector, on my charging handle, and others. After a few trips to the hardware store, I mansged to replace all but a few of the original bolts and machine screws with stainless steel ones. Now all I need is a good scope (Im thinking a Leopold). Thank you for taking the time to read this; pictures below (as soon as i can get them to render), and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I realize that, but I cant post pictures through photobucket like I used to be able to. Im trying to find a picture hosting site I can use, any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone please let me know if these links do not work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Your pics work
Beautiful work. I hope a firearm that purty is also accurate. What brand barrel did you get? Wilson? E.R. Shaw?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]
To be honest, I don't remember the brand. I did however keep all of my purchase receipts, so Ill dig through my filing cabinet and get back to you when I get off work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Well done with posting pics and your rifle.  Is it accurate?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#10]
No idea, I have no optics yet. She's only seen 15 rounds as a function test.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice - to be honest when i read the first post I thought, "this is going to be god ugly". But after seeing the pictures, I must say not bad at all. I like the barrel the most
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#12]
it looks pretty neat.

great job.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#13]
So i got home and checked my purchase receipts, the barrel is from JSE Surplus, and the manufacturer is listed as "multiple manufacturers" so its kind of a crapshoot Iguess. If you go to their website and type in the model number BAR24MB8SS you'll find the exact barrel I used.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#14]
That's very well done, great looking rifle.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top