Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 3:44:43 PM EDT
So, I pulled a total dumb-ass and just kept torquing down the screws on this gas block: https://www.stagarms.com/railed-gas-block/#ProductSpecsDetail and stripped one of the threads. Questions is, should I get a HeliCoil or other thread repair kit and fix it, or just buy another gas block? Please advise. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
just throw it out and get a new one
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Even that is is 7075, I would just thread it to the next bigger size and pick up a set screw from True Value or one of the other hardware stores.  Should not be hard to do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Helicoil repair kit is gonna be 20+ bucks.  If you do it right it's going to be a better component. ( stainless threads )

OR just Drill and tap to next size up less than 10 bucks. Bring it with you to hardware store find next size up Allen head and purchase tap.

If you fuck it up somehow then buy a new one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
If you are like me, waiting for something from China is worse than biting the bullet and buying a new gas block, if you want to wait that long, send it to me and I will fix and send back to you!  I could fix that in less that 10 minutes and have it back in the mail!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are like me, waiting for something from China is worse than biting the bullet and buying a new gas block, if you want to wait that long, send it to me and I will fix and send back to you!  I could fix that in less that 10 minutes and have it back in the mail![/quote
Now,thats a helluva nice gesture!!

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are like me, waiting for something from China is worse than biting the bullet and buying a new gas block, if you want to wait that long, send it to me and I will fix and send back to you!  I could fix that in less that 10 minutes and have it back in the mail!
View Quote
While I greatly greatly appreciate that super generous offer, I decided to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092QURLU?tag=vglnk-c102-20 which will only take 2 days to get to me. Thanks everyone for your responses.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
So, got the thread repair kit and took care of everything. In hindsight I wish I would have listened to some of the people on here and either just bought a new one or sent it to DaveP1 to fix it. By the time I spent the time and purchased everything (had to buy a tap wrench on top of the kit from amazon, doh!!! ) it was quite a project for something as stupid as a gas block. I did learn how to fix a stripped thread and now own some more tools, so at least there is that. Moral of the story, listen to others good advice on here ha-ha!!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top