Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2017 1:26:28 AM EDT
Recently built a new upper for my AR, but the upper and lower receiver halves have rattle/slop between them / loose fit. Specifically the upper can move laterally along the axis of the take-down pins. Not much mind you, maybe the width of a piece of paper, but it annoys me. Doesn't feel "solid." To fix this would require a new upper and disassembly of the upper parts (barrel, handgaurd etc.) to attach to a new upper half, so major PITA. So, should I care? does it matter?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:34:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Really shouldn't make any difference. There are some plastic parts you can buy that will fix this if it really bothers you. They go around the take down pins. A little slop is find though if if only the amount around the thickness of a piece of paper I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:25:25 AM EDT
[#3]
No, you shouldn't care. I know OCD gets the best of us when doing builds... but the movement there is seriously a non issue. I used to be the same as you, but now I actually prefer looser fitting upper/lowers. They're easier to separate, easier to shotgun for working on/clearing malfs, etc.
But if you can't get over it... use an accu-wedge. They do tighten things up, although temporarily (they eventually "settle in" and you'll have some slop again). I did that with some combos.. but now they're all out and I live with the slop (and now prefer that). I've actually found that my (mildly) sloppy fitting upper/lowers have a smoother CH pull while the tighter ones do not. So that tells me the slightly sloppy ones are "as they should be" and I'm happy with that
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Slop annoys me. If your lower doesn't have a tension screw, use a dense foam earplug under the rear lug. If the rear pin won't close on a whole ear plug, cut a little off the plug and try again. Repeat until it is tight and the rear pin slides snuggly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
That's it the  Accu Wedge. Never saw the need for it since I am not OCD like some. And can never remember the name of it since I have never used it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Appreciated, can rest easy now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#7]
It annoys the hell out of me. I only use mega for this reason. I decided to put together rifles for my son & daughter l,bought 2 psa reciever sets. 1 was extremely tight and other was sloppy loose. Took it all apart and threw them in parts bin & re ordered 2 mega forged sets. Smooth as butter when breaking down & finish is always top notch!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Upper/lower slop annoys me but has no effects of performance. I just shoot it
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#9]
ZFG about slop.  My issued rifles have all had some to a lot of it.  All shot just fine and dandy and haven't affected my ability to qual expert my entire career.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Slop annoys me. If your lower doesn't have a tension screw, use a dense foam earplug under the rear lug. If the rear pin won't close on a whole ear plug, cut a little off the plug and try again. Repeat until it is tight and the rear pin slides snuggly. add one
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FIFY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Slop annoys me. If your lower doesn't have a tension screw, use a dense foam earplug under the rear lug. If the rear pin won't close on a whole ear plug, cut a little off the plug and try again. Repeat until it is tight and the rear pin slides snuggly. add one
FIFY
This.

I dont let it bother me anymore.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#12]
There is a peel and stick type of shim kit, I forget the name, but it looked pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Meh, doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I know it doesn't affect accuracy or function but it bothers me enough to fix it since it's easy to do.  If it's a low shelf lower, the AccuWedge works pretty well. Just make sure to trim in on the bottom so it's not too tight. And next time, buy a lower that comes with an adjusting screw. Mega and Aero are two that do, and there are others I can't think of off hand.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Itis not hard to drill and add an adjustment screw.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#16]
O-ring around the front pivot pin lug might work.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/513122_.html
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
O-ring around the front pivot pin lug might work.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/513122_.html
View Quote
Helps some. O rings dont last long.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#18]
trimmed up accu-wedge fixes it good enough for me
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's it the  Accu Wedge. Never saw the need for it since I am not OCD like some. And can never remember the name of it since I have never used it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm not OCD.
I'm not OCD.
I'm not OCD.
I'm not OCD.

I have it in two of my builds. Definitely a personal choice.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Hmmm, how did I know reading down this post that PSA lower would be mentioned? I have 5 of these and am replacing all of them due to two reasons:

[1] Sloopy fit to upper, side to side rock.

[2] Refuse to free drop empty Lancer, ETS, and C-Products 7.62x39  mags during mag change drills.

I went to Anderson and one Bear Creek Arsanal lowers which cured these mentioned issues period. Draw your own conclusion from my post.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#21]
If many of us worried about slop between uppers and lowers, we wouldn't have had anybody to deploy when we needed to!

I think just about every rifle I used and was issued during my time in the service was sloppy!

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Oversized pivot and takedown pins will take the majority, if not all, of the slop out of the fit. Only issue is that it is then harder to breakdown the rifle. I used them on one that was really loose and it tightened it right up......but now Im unable to just push the pivot pin it with only my fingers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Unless you're sights are attached to the lower receiver assembly somewhere it doesn't matter
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oversized pivot and takedown pins will take the majority, if not all, of the slop out of the fit. Only issue is that it is then harder to breakdown the rifle. I used them on one that was really loose and it tightened it right up......but now Im unable to just push the pivot pin it with only my fingers.
View Quote
IMO, that defeats one of the main benefits of the platform.

that being said, I have a Stag Arms lower that I can't push out without "help" (but I believe that's a STAG arms issue as the upper mounts easily on every other receiver I have)
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hmmm, how did I know reading down this post that PSA lower would be mentioned? I have 5 of these and am replacing all of them due to two reasons:

[1] Sloopy fit to upper, side to side rock.

[2] Refuse to free drop empty Lancer, ETS, and C-Products 7.62x39  mags during mag change drills.

I went to Anderson and one Bear Creek Arsanal lowers which cured these mentioned issues period. Draw your own conclusion from my post.
View Quote
I have two PSA lowers and they both fit pretty tight. Tighter than my Colt 6920 lowers. Draw your own conclusions I guess.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had some PSA lowers fit SNUG, others a hair loose. I've never touched an M4 that wasn't loose. On my loose receiver sets, I shim the rear lug of the upper receiver with masking tape until the slop is gone (usually takes 3-4 layers). Never had an issue this way, and its cheaper than the accuwedge. It isn't super permanent, but a roll of 1/4" masking tape is about $2, and will likely last about 6000 applications. A bit of slop is the nature of the beast when working with AR15s. The exception, is when you buy a pair of MATCHED receivers, these are typically selected from a bin to ensure they fit snug together. If you're anal about it, its probably worth the extra cost.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Too tight can affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Too tight can affect accuracy.
View Quote
How so?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've had some PSA lowers fit SNUG, others a hair loose. I've never touched an M4 that wasn't loose. On my loose receiver sets, I shim the rear lug of the upper receiver with masking tape until the slop is gone (usually takes 3-4 layers). Never had an issue this way, and its cheaper than the accuwedge. It isn't super permanent, but a roll of 1/4" masking tape is about $2, and will likely last about 6000 applications. A bit of slop is the nature of the beast when working with AR15s. The exception, is when you buy a pair of MATCHED receivers, these are typically selected from a bin to ensure they fit snug together. If you're anal about it, its probably worth the extra cost.
View Quote
I've used clear packing tape on a couple with good results. 

I bought a 5 pack of accu-wedges and they stuck,  as most of the slop is at the front and they don't help at that end,  also made for very hard to take down,  so I Gabe my brother a couple to try and pitched the others. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Placing a foreign material inside the gun is not a good idea. Silicone, O-rings, accu crap....

Buy 2-3 uppers and see which has the best fit, sell the others. Also, purchasing a lower with a tension screw helps! No reason to settle for a sloppy build.

My requirements are that the lines have to match between upper and lower and the pivot pins must take some force to get in for a nice tight fit. Otherwise, it does not get built.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Placing a foreign material inside the gun is not a good idea. Silicone, O-rings, accu crap....

Buy 2-3 uppers and see which has the best fit, sell the others. Also, purchasing a lower with a tension screw helps! No reason to settle for a sloppy build.

My requirements are that the lines have to match between upper and lower and the pivot pins must take some force to get in for a nice tight fit. Otherwise, it does not get built.
View Quote
Brings a whole new meaning to the term "sloppy seconds"

so how much do you end up losing selling off good, and I mean in the functional sense not the OCD sense, uppers. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol, foreign material. If it was something that could/would come lose and get in the way/block something, sure. But if its stuck under/behind the rear lug, how in the world is this going to cause an issue? I admire your OCD with matching uppers and lowers though. Takes guts. And a willingness to throw away money in pursuit of a tight fit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I use only matching sets for this reason of a loose fit. Mega spoiled. I must have OCD as well
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#35]
It does not matter, but should you care is up to you.  Some AR owners are in the "fit and finish" camp.  That's their prerogative.  Those who are in the "performance" camp don't care about upper/lower play or color matching.  I prefer a little slop because it makes take down easier.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top