Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2017 10:32:31 PM EDT
Good evening everyone, I am finally in the process of getting ready to build my first AR 15.  Im not looking to do an economical build per say, I'm trying to do a quality mid price build.  I will look at some of the ideas I have so far, please chime in and give me some thoughts or guidance. This will be for home protection, shooting, and some hunting. Thanks

1. Spikes Tactical Spider Stripped Lower - $58.00 - Getting Ready to order
2. Spikes Tactical T Marked M4 Feed Ramp Stripped Upper - $55.00 - Ordered
3. I haven't decided between Spikes enhanced lpk, Anderson Enhanced LPK, or getting a Geissele S3G or SSA-E Trigger.  
4. Spikes Nickel Boron BCG
5.Spikes 14.5 CHF Barrel

This is just what I have so far, so please let me know what you think and what you would do.  I'm trying to come in around $800.  So not a cheap build
, but not over the top either.  And that price doesn't include any optics, that will be later!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go for a LPK without the fire control group and go straight to an upgraded trigger. I've seen a few places that do kind of a super upgraded LPK with a Geissele trigger or something similar.
Upgrade the grip while you're at it too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO a LPK is an LPK. Spend the money on the BCG and the Barrel.

You might look at a lower build kit instead of a lower parts kit- this includes the buffer assembly and pistol grip generally. You'll save a few dollars buying it together.

The Geissele trigger is going to make your $800 price point a little bit tougher to hit but it could certainly be done.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good evening everyone, I am finally in the process of getting ready to build my first AR 15.  Im not looking to do an economical build per say, I'm trying to do a quality mid price build.  I will look at some of the ideas I have so far, please chime in and give me some thoughts or guidance. This will be for home protection, shooting, and some hunting. Thanks

1. Spikes Tactical Spider Stripped Lower - $58.00 - Getting Ready to order  I cant get past the double dong one I have seen it. But hey maybe you haven't. I would get the Punisher or the Crusader.
2. Spikes Tactical T Marked M4 Feed Ramp Stripped Upper - $55.00 - Ordered  Good to go.
3. I haven't decided between Spikes enhanced lpk, Anderson Enhanced LPK, or getting a Geissele S3G or SSA-E Trigger. I would buy the lower parts separate and then get a Geissele trigger by its self.
4. Spikes Nickel Boron BCG  ** I would skip this IMO and get a standard Phosphate or a Nitride BCG.  NIB BCGs can sometimes have stacking tolerance issues
5.Spikes 14.5 CHF Barrel  Good Barrels, so are Faxons, Daniel defense, Ballistic advantage

This is just what I have so far, so please let me know what you think and what you would do.  I'm trying to come in around $800.  So not a cheap build
, but not over the top either.  And that price doesn't include any optics, that will be later!!!
View Quote

Spikes lower extension tube don't forget.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you guys for your feedback so far.  I looked at your feedback, and looked for some other options.  I am still going to try to find some of these parts on here.  Thanks

1.  Spikes Crusader - I like the Punisher better, but I won't have to deal with a trigger guard on this one.  
2. DPMS - LK Minus Trigger - $35 Brownells!!!
3.Spikes 6 Position Carbine Buffer tube and spring - $68 - Joe Bobs
4.Standard Spikes Phosphate BCG -$140.00
5.Geissele Trigger - S3G 3.5lb Trigger - $240, this may put me over budget!!!

Would you recommend the following barrel for a build like this?  Spikes - 14.5" lightweight barrels,midlength gas system,.625 gas block
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you guys for your feedback so far.  I looked at your feedback, and looked for some other options.  I am still going to try to find some of these parts on here.  Thanks

1.  Spikes Crusader - I like the Punisher better, but I won't have to deal with a trigger guard on this one.  
2. DPMS - LK Minus Trigger - $35 Brownells!!!
3.Spikes 6 Position Carbine Buffer tube and spring - $68 - Joe Bobs
4.Standard Spikes Phosphate BCG -$140.00
5.Geissele Trigger - S3G 3.5lb Trigger - $240, this may put me over budget!!!

Would you recommend the following barrel for a build like this?  Spikes - 14.5" lightweight barrels,midlength gas system,.625 gas block
View Quote
Keep in mind with a 14.5 inch barrel you will need to do one of 2 things. You will need to get the rifle classified as an SBR by the ATF and pay the 200 bucks plus the wait or permanently attach your muzzle device. Unless you planned on SBR'ing this and did not say so or wanted a specific look, I would go with a 16 inch barrel.

That said, if you want a quality 14.5 inch barrel, check this one out. We put a 16 inch Faxon pencil barrel on my fiancee's rifle and it shoots just as well as my Daniel Defense barrel. Faxon on is here on ARF and post up quite a bit.
Faxon 14.5 inch barrel

ETA: the Faxon is 3oz lighter then the Spikes.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd go for a LPK without the fire control group and go straight to an upgraded trigger. I've seen a few places that do kind of a super upgraded LPK with a Geissele trigger or something similar.
View Quote
This. Go to White Oak Armament. They usually have lower parks kits combined with good Geissele and ALG triggers at fair prices.

You'll pull that trigger every shot you fire. Getting a good one costs a fraction of a cent per shot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This. Go to White Oak Armament. They usually have lower parks kits combined with good Geissele and ALG triggers at fair prices.

You'll pull that trigger every shot you fire. Getting a good one costs a fraction of a cent per shot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for WOA.  I used their LPKs in a few builds so far and they are great quality.  You can get the LPK w/out the FCG for around $40 and just buy a Larue MBTfor $99 on sale (there are a few every year at that price) or $125 from Larue "I can wait" price...even at the $200 regular price they are excellent triggers and well worth it.  Brownell's also has triggers that are made by Geissele B-G2S-E (2-stage like the G2S/SSA) & B-GRF (similar to the S3G) if you want a Geissele at a cheaper price.

EE also has some good pricing on new/like new Larue MBTs ~$115 - $145.  Memorial Day is right around the corner and there will be plenty of great deals at: PSA, Primary Arms, Aim Surplus, etc...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top