Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2017 12:59:42 PM EDT
my buddy has got a stripped set screw in the rear takedown pin. Any ideas how to easily remove it?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Carefully with a left hand drill bit.

You mean there's a set screw for the spring/detent hole for the rear takedown pin right?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

It's called an easy out and they come in a lot of sizes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You can always try a Torx that is similar in size to the allen key.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the hex key that fits it and put super glue on it, let it sit in screw for cpl minutes, if it ain't that tight it should work if not no damage done. Keep us posted
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#5]
tried super glue and was unsuccessful
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:51:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it SAE or Metric, often times I have had luck on SAE by finding a metric that is just a bit bigger and tap it in with a brass hammer, it will give you enough bite to slowly back it out.

I have also drilled a few out as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
tried super glue and was unsuccessful
View Quote
try something stronger, maybe jb weld, only a dab! Don't get it everywhere, last resort I'd use easy out or left hand bit. Good luck
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Reverse drill bits.  

Harbor Freight.  

If you are reading this, put them on your list and get a set.  They may be in your drawer for years without needing them, but the day you do, it will be magical!!!!

Liquid Wrench has saved my bacon plenty of times.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Just to clarify, a reverse bit (left hand drill bit) which is different from an easy out by the way can work a little better on real small screws.

You aren't drilling with it you are just slowly spinning it backwards while applying pressure enough so it gets some bite.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's called an easy out and they come in a lot of sizes.
View Quote
None of which are small enough for a 4-40 screw
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm confused.

Are the threads in the receiver channel stripped?  In other words you can seat the hex wrench in the 4-40 set screw and turn it, but the screw just spins and does not back out.

Or is the hex socket in the set screw rounded to the point that the hex wrench doesn't grip and won't turn the set screw?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Fellows, remember the smallest easy out is a #1 which need a drill bit size of 9/64". Now it might work providing the set screw is bigger than 3/16". It will need enough meat as that one is good for 3/16"-5/16" bolt.

I would say as above as well, try a tight fitting metric or even torque bit, pound it in.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top