Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2017 2:58:13 PM EDT
Has anyone tried this kit (below) from Brownells. It doesn't use a clip to retain the pain - I guess it screws in?
Thanks

Ejection Port Kit
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It has a knurled section that holds itin place. My personal preference is the Dead On Arms port door that has spiring loaded pins in both ends and can be put on and taken off whenever needed. They also make a terrific trigger guard that is spring loaded as well. Great people and products.

http://www.deadonarmsllc.com/
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one in my spare parts box, have not used it yet.

I believe that the knurling takes the place of the c clip.

I do not believe it is threaded at all. I will have to look closer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Removing or installing the little "c" clip is really, really not that difficult.  Not enough to justify something special, IMHO.  If you should lose one, it's a 10 cent hardware store item.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep lots of little tiny C clips around, you can pick up a pack of a 100 of them for less than $7.00, cause no matter what happens, those suckers always disappear!

I keep a lot of detent pins around as well, cause sooner or later, you going to launch one of them off in to the unknown as well.

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Removing or installing the little "c" clip is really, really not that difficult.  Not enough to justify something special, IMHO.  If you should lose one, it's a 10 cent hardware store item.
View Quote
This. I don't see the need for this or fancy trigger guards that try to get around using a roll pin. Nothing wrong with anyone that likes them, they're just not my thing. Never had trouble installing c-clips or roll pins.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not tried this ejection port cover pin. The price is right to try it, 5 bucks with a port door and spring (might be low quality for that price). What I don't get is why it's knurled to keep it from moving apparently it's a friction fit, no threads or anything to keep it in place. The standard rod C clip keeps the pin from going rearward and falling out/off. I believe it's kept from going forward and falling out/off by the delta ring, handguard, rail, whatever you may have covering your barrel nut. They can't go forward as far as I know. So why not place a small crimp in the rod to keep it from going through the rod hole backwards? Almost seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Just my two cents worth on it. I'm happy with old standard clip.  -CB
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The c-clip is tried and true but I don't see how you could really go wrong with installing this. It's cheap and it's just one less part to worry about breaking or falling off. The only thing is, it looks like you'd have to remove your handguard to install it or if you want to replace the ejection port cover.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Can also look at strike industries poly cover. Installs with spring loaded pin.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#9]
44-40pro: Nice product - thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
zooming in on the Brownells picture, it might be knurled to prevent it from going through, not to be driven through, retained by Delta Ring, sorta along the lines of what CustomBuilder suggested above.  if so, then, it's a great idea.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I dug mine out. Knurling on one end, smooth the other. Knurling acts as a C clip does, prevents rod from backing out. Only way to replace is to remove bbl from upper receiver.

Not like replacing the door/rod is real fun with the two mated and a standard clip anyhow!
Still, like it better than the clip, one less part to lose.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#12]
As mentioned, it just prevents the rod from going through. It can only be installed from the front, which means that you can't take it OFF (if need be) unless you remove the barrel/nut. No thanks.
Much easier to pull a C-clip and (bending slightly) remove from the rear side, if necessary.
Also as mentioned, the Dead On Arms dust covers (as well as Strike Industries) are cool pieces (no rod, both brands use plungers instead). Even if one broke on you... you just snap in another one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:36:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
44-40pro: Nice product - thanks.
View Quote
your welcome. always happy to help out an arfcommer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I happened to help my sons friend last night install one of these knurled types.  You have to slide the smooth end first going forward towards the barrel, slide door and spring on and use a third hand to lightly tap it in the back loop.  Had to protect the back loop from cosmetic damage when sliding the rod forward with a piece of tape.  Seems to hold ok, I prefer the c-clip.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#15]
What is the official size of the clip (to buy a bag of them)?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What is the official size of the clip (to buy a bag of them)?
View Quote
1/8" low clearance c clip.  Be sure it is the low clearance style.  They are smaller on the outside diameter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks MS556.
By the way, I just received an Aero Precision M4E1(5.56) enhanced upper. It doesn't use clips either. The pin is inserted through the protruding barrel nut holder and then is locked in once the barrel is locked in. Here also you would need to remove the barrel to change or repair the ejection port cover.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I happened to help my sons friend last night install one of these knurled types.  You have to slide the smooth end first going forward towards the barrel, slide door and spring on and use a third hand to lightly tap it in the back loop.  Had to protect the back loop from cosmetic damage when sliding the rod forward with a piece of tape.  Seems to hold ok, I prefer the c-clip.
View Quote
Seems to me like the knurled end would go on the same side as the c-clip normally would. In other words, on the barrel end of the upper and not the forward assist end. Why would you install it the opposite direction with the knurled end away from the barrel? The knurling isn't meant to be driven into the pin slot on either end. It just retains the pin from sliding all the way through.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Knurling goes towards nose of receiver, replacing the c clip. You have it on backwards.

Did you flex it to get past your F/A?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Knurling goes towards nose of receiver, replacing the c clip. You have it on backwards.

Did you flex it to get past your F/A?
View Quote
This is what I was saying. To install it backwards, he had to have forced it past the forward assist. Should've been obvious it went the other way. Come on, guys. Common sense!

ETA: Unless he was installing it on an upper that was already barreled. In that case, this isn't the way to go. Use a standard port door rod and clip, or some other type that doesn't require disassembly to install. It's possible to install a standard rod from back to front without damaging the receiver, just takes some care.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top