Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2017 9:44:24 PM EDT
Hi all.
I have a few Daniel Defense hand guards. I like how they bolt up on the barrel nut. They seem solid to me.
I am building my first SBR. I'm thinking I'd like to switch it up...maybe...
My options are:

Daniel Defense SLiM Rail 9.0 Keymod

OR

LaRue Tactical 9.0" Handguard LT15-9

OR

Noveske NSR Keymod Rail 9.0"

What's your experience??

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi all.
I have a few Daniel Defense hand guards. I like how they bolt up on the barrel nut. They seem solid to me.
I am building my first SBR. I'm thinking I'd like to switch it up...maybe...
My options are:

Daniel Defense SLiM Rail 9.0 Keymod

OR

LaRue Tactical 9.0" Handguard LT15-9

OR

Noveske NSR Keymod Rail 9.0"

What's your experience??

Thanks!!
View Quote

Take a look at the ALG EMR rails.  I have one and it's nice.  M lok is best lok.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If my task is to pick only from those 3, then it'd be Daniel Defense. I have a few DD rails, but no experience with the other two.

I'm not a keymod guy, so there's that, but I far and away prefer the mounting system. It's solid, as are the others, but DD doesn't require the barrel nut to be timed, which takes out some potential hassle.

The market is flooded with options. What made you narrow it down to those three?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I chose those three because,  I have experience with the DD rails.
I'm using a Noveske upper and lower. So if I was to keep it all Noveske I'd get the barrel and rail from them. I'm most likely getting the Noveske barrel anyhow.
I've seen a few people tout the LaRue system. So, that jumped on the radar.
They all seem solid. I don't mind timing barrel nuts to get the guards right.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Larue is good stuff. It's also the only railed handguard on the list. I don't mind, personally, but the other two are keymod, so it's an outlier there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd pick/prefer Geissele, Centurion, ALG, SLR to the stuff on your list.  In MLOK, for sure.  If you want a quad rail on the end for laze/bipod and dont want to use mlok attachments for that, Geissele MK4 would be good.

ALG is great value, especially when on sale (it does what you need it to)
Geissele is the best heavy duty rail
Centurion are slick and comfy, thin OD and lightweight rails.  Handle great offhand.
SLR are also slick and comfy lightweight rails.  They have a ton of different models/weights/etc

of your list, DD. I guess.  

Just doing what i can to make your choices harder

If youre going to be loading up on a bipod, get the Geissele, they have less flex than the others, from what i can tell.  Yoi definitely cannot go wrong with G/ALG. Centurion is the thinnest.  SLR has a large product line.

Larue and NSR work, they are just kinda "older" designs that arent as "cool" as the others.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like Midwest Industries, a lot, and I believe they are a site sponsor. They'll have a ton of excellent MLOK handguards, and offer a great quad rail, also. In addition to MI having high quality handguards, I like that their barrel nuts don't require timing. Plus they're semi-local (based in Wisconsin, and 100% USA made AFAIK.), and I like supporting locals, even if they may be Packer Backers. They have great CS and a lifetime warranty on all of the products I've bought from them. Plus, they're generally less expensive than some of the boutique brands, with no sacrifice in quality that I can see.

Bravo Company is another site sponsor, and their barrels nuts don't require timing either. With BravoCo, I'd wait until their MLOK offering hits the market, though.

Centurion makes a quality handguard as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like Midwest Industries, a lot, and I believe they are a site sponsor. They'll have a ton of excellent MLOK handguards, and offer a great quad rail, also. In addition to MI having high quality handguards, I like that their barrel nuts don't require timing. Plus they're semi-local (based in Wisconsin, and 100% USA made AFAIK.), and I like supporting locals, even if they may be Packer Backers. They have great CS and a lifetime warranty on all of the products I've bought from them. Plus, they're generally less expensive than some of the boutique brands, with no sacrifice in quality that I can see.

Bravo Company is another site sponsor, and their barrels nuts don't require timing either. With BravoCo, I'd wait until their MLOK offering hits the market, though.

Centurion makes a quality handguard as well.
View Quote
I have had a few MI handguards and imo their attachment method leaves something to be desired
 I still have my OG SSG12 because it's super lightweight and comfortable, and still have one of their AK handguards.

But the attachment point leaves quite a bit to.be desIred imo.  Great company but not what I would consider hard use barrel nut.

Their sister company ADM has a better barrel nut, similar to the centurion.

I also don't love the little "divots" they put along the rails edges on their mlok and keymod handguards, compared to some others.

I definitely prefer the Geissele/ALG/Centurion handguards overall
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for your suggestions so far. I checked out what you guys listed.
Most of them seem to be the clamp on type that uses a pinch bolt or bolts to secure them to the barrel nut.
I want to stay away from that type of set-up. I failed to give enough information in the original post. I suck.

The ALG EMR rail looks cool, but they don't have a 9" model that I saw.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#9]
You could wait for the Geissele Mk13 'slim' rail to release. It looks pretty good...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top