Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2017 5:18:34 PM EDT
Hey boys. I'm in the process of building a new SBR upper. I want the barrel to be around 11.5" because, we'll lets be honest chicks dig sbrs, and it'll be running suppressed a majority of the time.

My 3 priorities, in no particular order, are:
1) Accuracy; tight groups= smiles on my face. Mag dumps are cool and whatnot but i'll save them for the dozen other guns I have in my safe
2) Reliability: Jams = Frowns on my face and other people at the range laughing at me.
3) Weight: I pick up enough heavy stuff in the gym, I want my gun to be light

Options in no particular order:

1. Arfcom's favroite, Larue 12" Stealth barrel. My main concern is with weight of this barrel.
2. Rainer Arms 12" match Barrel
3.?????

***To be honest I don't know a ton about the velocities of a 12"vs a 10.5" so I'm not sure this is a valid concern. I'm also not sure the dwell time is a valid concern either. Its just what I was told at one point.

Any input would be appreciate.
Thanks!!!

Well I went with larue. I'm really hoping this barrel does me good.
Attachment Attached File

MOA OR BUST!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive got a GTS Recce barrel 12.5" on my SBR. Medium contour and it balances really well even with a can.

Not sure if they make them anymore but wanted a chrome lined match barrel and that was how they billed it when it was developed.

LaRue came out with theirs shortly after. That would have likely been my second or even first pick had it been available
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive got a GTS Recce barrel 12.5" on my SBR. Medium contour and it balances really well even with a can.

Not sure if they make them anymore but wanted a chrome lined match barrel and that was how they billed it when it was developed.

LaRue came out with theirs shortly after. That would have likely been my second or even first pick had it been available
View Quote
I'm leaning towards LaRue simply because of the 1 MOA All Day Challenge sort of speaks for it's self. The weight will just be something I have to deal with. As long as I keep my other components lightweight, it should be alright.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I just finished a 7.5" pistol build and I have to tell you, I am impressed the Ballistic Advantage barrel I used on it, it is an accurate barrel, I can keep it in a 3" bulls eye at 50 yards, which is nothing to sneeze at on a 7.5" pistol.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Larue Stealth 12" on mine, and it groups as tight as my Noveske 14.5.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got a Larue Stealth 12" on mine, and it groups as tight as my Noveske 14.5.
View Quote
Sub moa?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Look into Sionics.  I saw a youtube video where a guy was getting 1 moa with their 11.5 inch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard rumors of LaRue oversizing their gas port sizes. Would it be wise to get a adjustable gas block if I go that route?
Pay day is Saturday, so I'll probably order then.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Adjustable gas is recommended if you plan on going suppressed SBR route. That being said, if you run that 10.5 suppressed your dwell time is effectively increased and you won't have any worries concerning short stroking.

Have you considered a Lothar Walther barrel?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Adjustable gas is recommended if you plan on going suppressed SBR route. That being said, if you run that 10.5 suppressed your dwell time is effectively increased and you won't have any worries concerning short stroking.

Have you considered a Lothar Walther barrel?
View Quote
Intesting, thanks. I hadn't looked at them until now. Do they offer a 11.5/12" barrel? I didn't see one on their website.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Been thinking the same thing for a while... I have an old colt commando 11.5 right now, but am going to refresh it soon...

Probably a noveske 11.5 with Marvin Pitts dimples for the sex factor. I'd give my left nut for a noveske 11.5 chf
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
When I get around to putting a upper on my lower I think I'm going to get a Centurion 12.5" barrel. Centurion barrels seem very well regarded.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently finished my latest sbr.

12" stealth, stealth stripped upper, SLR adj block, SLR ion ultra lite 11" rail. Acog ta33.

It's the same weight as my 11.5" bcm upper with aipmoint micro.

I was sure the barrel would be heavier, but it balanced out very nicely.

Also very accurate, that never hurts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Alright boys, I guess I'm ordering the Larue soon. Any one want the discount MBT?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
The mbt pairs pretty nicely with the stealth

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38811/IMG-4798-167007.png  
View Quote
Very nice!
If I include a trigger, will I be waiting a long time?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm leaning towards LaRue simply because of the 1 MOA All Day Challenge sort of speaks for it's self. The weight will just be something I have to deal with. As long as I keep my other components lightweight, it should be alright.
View Quote
I dont think you can go wrong LaRue. If I had to replace mine that would be the route I go.

For reference. 12.5" with LaRue 11 rail.

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Very nice!
If I include a trigger, will I be waiting a long time?
View Quote
Honestly I'm not sure. I'd call the shop and ask, they have really friendly folks there.

From my experience (4 mbt's) same day to 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I ordered one a few weeks ago and it shipped the same day.
I just got an email from LaRue and they are running the $99 sale again.
From the email:

"25,000 MBT triggers sold ... give or take a few. Looks like we make and sell about a 1,000 MBT triggers a month ...

Folks seem to like and jump at our occasional $99 MBT deal, so we're doing it again for Easter. This time we kept making MBTs until we accumulated us a sizable pile. That means they will ship immediately !!

We've added something - for free, we're throwing in our new T.A.C. Trigger Action Chassis - a great visual aid for trigger operation. You put your trigger in it, add a grip, use our APEX grip or any grip you may have laying around your reloading bench, then click to your heart's content."
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just got an email from LaRue that the $99 trigger sale is back on.
View Quote
Came to post this.

Glad I'm out of AR's too put these in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:34:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38811/IMG-4798-167007.png  
View Quote
Seems like we have similar tastes

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Time to get working!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Done!

I may shoot it tomorrow. I actually had this lower paired with a PSA 11.5 upper that I never shot. So waiting wasn't an issue.
Weight wise, its actually not bad at all. Even with the giant scope and heavy ass suppressor, its not that bad.
The scope is just temporary, I'll swap it out with something like a 1-4 in the future, this is just for testing.
Right now I have it paired with a H2 buffer. I'll see how it works with the h2.
Comon Larue! Don't let me down!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#23]
So I shot my upper for the first time today. H2 buffer, no issues suppressed or unsuppressed.
I burned through 100 rounds fairly quickly just to break in the barrel. Accuracy left a little to be desired but it was just wolf gold 55gr ammo. I'm sure the groups will tighten up with better ammo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So I shot my upper for the first time today. H2 buffer, no issues suppressed or unsuppressed.
I burned through 100 rounds fairly quickly just to break in the barrel. Accuracy left a little to be desired but it was just wolf gold 55gr ammo. I'm sure the groups will tighten up with better ammo.
View Quote
Mine do pretty well on wolf gold, not sub moa but I'm happy with it for plinking ammo
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top