Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2017 5:34:08 PM EDT
Hello all,

I have gotten the "go-ahead" from my wife to start parting together an AR-15 build. This is my first AR-15 and I am willing to learn anything from anyone as I make this journey. I will be buying all of the parts separately, and may take me a few years to do so. Below are the parts I have researched and added to my list. If you have any suggestions please let me know what you think. I cannot promise that I listen, but like I said before I am willing to learn anything and everything about these rifles. The intent for the rifle is home defense, and secondary uses include hunting (I have never gone, but my wife and I are moving to Texas in the next few months and I think i might get into hunting more). The caliber I have chosen is 5.56 (open for suggestion). One area I would like your help in particular is to suggest a different barrel than the one below. I think I can save some more money for the same quality of barrel but I do not know if this is true. I would like to keep the barrel 16" long with a carbine length gas system. Any help is greatly appreciated and I am over joyed at the opportunity of building my first AR.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#1]
List of parts:

Upper - Aero Precicion AR 15 M4E1 Enhanced Upper (Black)
Lower - Aero Precision AR 15 Stripped Lower (Black) (I have already purchased this)
Upper parts kit - Aero Precision
Lower parts kit - Aero Precision
Barrel - Daniel Defense 16" 5.56MM, Carbine, 1:7
Handguard - Aero Precision Quantum M-LOK Handguards, Gen2, FDE, 12", NO
Bolt carrier group - FailZero AR15 Semi-Auto BCG
Stock - Magpul MOE Carbine Stock MIL-SPEC MAG400 (FDE)
Stock Buffer Kit - Aero Precision AR15/M4 Carbine Buffer Kit, No Stock
Charging Handle - Radian Raptor
Trigger - Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced (SE-E) Trigger
Non-rotational Pins - KNS Precision Non-rotational pins (Black/0.154)
Grips - Magul MOE + Grip (FDE)
Sling - Magpul MS4 Dual QD Sling Gen2 (Black)
Front Sight - Magpul MBUS PRO Sight
Rear Sight - Magpul MBUS PRO Rear Sight
Gas Tube - Daniels Defense Carbine Length
Ambi. Safety Selector - BCM Ambi. Safety Selector Semi
B.A.D. Lever - Magpul Battery Assist Device
Compensator - BCM Gun Fighter Compensator MOD 0
Fore Grip - Magpul M-LOK AFG (FDE)
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
My 2cents:
I'd go with the Magpul CTR vr MOE. It's a few ounces hever but has a clamp to reduce the rattle/wiggle and a quick release option. If you thingk you might like a check weld stay away from Magpuls it's junk. Look at LaRue Tactical RISR you can use the charge handle with the stock fully collapsed.
Best of luck,
Kye
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not just buy an Armalite or Colt 6920 and be done with it and start shooting ?

Build you Areo precision as a second rifle or one for the wife.

Don't get caught up in some of the hype that goes on with some brand names or devices.

Any particular reason you specified carbine length gas system over mid ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you, I appreciate it
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not just buy an Armalite or Colt 6920 and be done with it and start shooting ?

Build you Areo precision as a second rifle or one for the wife.

Don't get caught up in some of the hype that goes on with some brand names or devices.

Any particular reason you specified carbine length gas system over mid ?
View Quote
Because I want the experience of building my first rifle. Understanding how it all works and fits together will help me when I need to fix it and maintain it.

As per the gas system, I read a post on this forum saying to stick with carbine length gas systems when using 16" barrels. I could have read it wrong and I don't have the original link to the post. Why should I use a mid length gas system?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#6]
a few years to build!?!

check out palmetto state armory
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Parts list looks good. I would suggest a mid length gas system though. My first build was carbine. Then next 8 builds were midlength. Midlength just shoots much softer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Drop the BAD lever and anti-rotation pins, add that stuff later if you need it. As said, go with the Magpul ctr.
lastly, consider an 14.5 barrel with extended FH.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
a few years to build!?!

check out palmetto state armory
View Quote
Thank you for the response. I am graduating from college this May and I will have other bills to pay then to pay for a $1700 rifle off the bat. It may only take me 6 months to save the money for the parts but I am not going to rush it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Parts list looks good. I would suggest a mid length gas system though. My first build was carbine. Then next 8 builds were midlength. Midlength just shoots much softer.
View Quote
Awesome. Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Drop the BAD lever and anti-rotation pins, add that stuff later if you need it. As said, go with the Magpul ctr.
lastly, consider an 14.5 barrel with extended FH.
View Quote
I am assuming FH stands for Flash Hider. If I get a 14.5" barrel then will I have to pin the flash hider to the barrel so that it is not an NFA item, and then have to pay the $200 tax stamp? What extended FH would you suggest? Should I have an experienced gunsmith pin the FH for me, or can I do that on my own? Thank you for the response, I will get rid of the anti-rotational pins and BAD lever.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My 2cents:
I'd go with the Magpul CTR vr MOE. It's a few ounces hever but has a clamp to reduce the rattle/wiggle and a quick release option. If you thingk you might like a check weld stay away from Magpuls it's junk. Look at LaRue Tactical RISR you can use the charge handle with the stock fully collapsed.
Best of luck,
Kye
View Quote
Thank you Kye. I will look into the LaRue Tactical stock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I might not have a list of parts for your build but I wouldn't go high end just keep it simple to start so you can learn the ins and outs of the AR15 platform and most of all enjoy the build. Its a buyers market so you should easily be able to cobble together a quality build for $500. Hell I did my first build at the height of the 2008-2009 panic for around $500 (equipment exchange was good to me) so I know you will now. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I might not have a list of parts for your build but I wouldn't go high end just keep it simple to start so you can learn the ins and outs of the AR15 platform and most of all enjoy the build. Its a buyers market so you should easily be able to cobble together a quality build for $500. Hell I did my first build at the height of the 2008-2009 panic for around $500 (equipment exchange was good to me) so I know you will now. Enjoy!
View Quote
Thank you for the suggestion
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top