Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 7:51:07 PM EDT
Hello!

This is my second post here. I am building an AR15 that I will be using for standard range shooting, maybe even some 3-gun.

I am currently trying to buy all parts required to assemble my lower receiver. I am, however, confused about the buffer weight.

I have heard that a heavyweight buffer may slow the gun down and prevent it from cycling at its normal rate.

I am looking specifically at the Spike's Tactical kit, which includes their T2 buffer, which is a 'Heavy Buffer' based on their website.

Is that a good buffer or should I buy a lighter one?

I will be using a 16" stainless steel barrel on my AR15 with a 1:7 twist.

Buffer kit I was talking about: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spikes_Tactical_6pos_Milspec_Carbine_Stock_Kit_p/sp-sla500r-k.htm?CartID=7

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a chart (link provided) on this ARFCOM post.

Might be a good place to start.

ARFCOM Post - buffer question

Let me Google that for you...   :-)

mm
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
What gas system and barrel length?

I assume a collapsible (carbine) stock.

"Slowing down" the action is still measured in milliseconds.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so many people praised Spike's T2 buffer on that post due to it being between an H1 and H2 buffer in weight.

And based on the chart, it should work fine with a 16" barrel.

Thank you for your reply!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Fast is relative.  You want the heaviest buffer that will cycle your weakest ammo.  No matter how slow it will still be faster then you can pull the trigger.  Don't use a powder buffer.  A5 is proven more reliable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I realize that, the problem I have is this is my first build. Sadly, I cannot afford to buy multiple buffers and test them. Based on the reviews of the T2 buffer, I may go with that.

It's lighter than an H2, heavier than an H1 and for my first build, I think that's a reasonoble purchase.

Or does anyone know anything inherently wrong with the ST-T2 buffer?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Shot timer doesn't lie. I discovered I'm significantly faster on followup shots (26% faster) using the lighter carbine buffer in my 16" middys than with the H2 buffer.

Tomac
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Well with the ST-T2 being 4.1 oz compared to the 4.6oz on the H2 buffer, it may also work for me.

Atleast it's a good starting point I would assume.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#8]
KAK sells an adjustable buffer kit for about $45 and comes with everything to assemble any weight buffer.

KAK adjustable buffer kit
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Heavier buffers slow the weapon’s cyclic rate down.
I run H2 buffers and it is still faster than I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shot timer doesn't lie. I discovered I'm significantly faster on followup shots (26% faster) using the lighter carbine buffer in my 16" middys than with the H2 buffer.

Tomac
View Quote
Well, there can be a number of reasons for this, but the faster cyclic rate isn't likely one of them.  Mainly, because the increase in cyclic rate between a H2 and a 3.75 oz buffer is only about .008 second, at most.  The time to complete one full cycle of firing, unlocking, extracting, ejecting, feeding and locking is around .075 second for a H2 and .067 second for a standard buffer....
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, there can be a number of reasons for this, but the faster cyclic rate isn't likely one of them.  Mainly, because the increase in cyclic rate between a H2 and a 3.75 oz buffer is only about .008 second, at most.  The time to complete one full cycle of firing, unlocking, extracting, ejecting, feeding and locking is around .075 second for a H2 and .067 second for a standard buffer....
View Quote

More reciprocating weight imparts more momentum during recoil and recoils slightly stronger, so more muzzle rise (however slight).
The same principle that ensures the bolt closes more securely when going home, works against your shoulder on the recoil stroke.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
More reciprocating weight imparts more momentum during recoil and recoils slightly stronger, so more muzzle rise (however slight).
The same principle that ensures the bolt closes more securely when going home, works against your shoulder on the recoil stroke.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also causes more sight disruption when the bolt closes.  All of that will lead to longer split times. 
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#13]
You need to pick a buffer for the most reliable weapon.  Lighter buffers will allow the action to operate faster, often faster than the brass can shrink therefore you run into extraction problems with some hot ammo in a carbine.  A heavy buffer will not slow you down nearly as much as brass that stays in the chamber.  

My follow-up shots are much better with a heavy buffer.  If you do the 3 gun race gun thing, well they go with lighter buffers but also use adjustable gas blocks and turn them down quite a bit.

A H2 in a carbine is still much faster than what most people can use.  If you had a full auto gun you may notice it spending money at a slightly slower rate.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
It also causes more sight disruption when the bolt closes.  All of that will lead to longer split times. 
I didn't say that a lighter buffer cannot leads to faster times, I said that the saving of 8 milliseconds in bolt cycle time does not account for a 25% decrease in time for a follow-up shot...

Also, mileage may vary.  Some people, myself included, find a slightly heavier buffer better for speedy, accurate shooting.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top