Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2017 5:27:25 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a stripped lower for a second rifle and was curious as to how much of an improvement it is going from a $90 Aero Precision stripped lower to say a $249 Seekins Precision lower.

Does it come down to quality/features/weight etc?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
And resale...
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Bragging rights that you spent more on a lower than you really needed to, but hey, you'll have the most expensive AR rifle at the range if you continue to buy over priced parts.  I have lowers and uppers that I am ashamed to admit I paid just as much as you are considering and I can tell you from personal experience, they are not really one bit better than the builds I have done using Aero, Spikes, and even Anderson lowers.  If you want bragging rights and maybe a better cosmetic appearance, and spending a LOT more money for perks that are totally non functional, go for it, it is your money.  Personally, I use Spikes and Aero lowers and uppers almost exclusively now.  To each his own though.  There will be a lot to say you get what you pay for trying to justify their expenditures, but if one is really honest about it, that $39 Anderson lower will build you just as accurate a rifle as will that $300 billet lower or $600 upper/lower billet set.  All that extra money only gets you cosmetic perks.  Those perks and 50 cents will get you a senior cup of McDs coffee IMO.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I can see paying that if you need all the ambi controls, but if you don't the <$100 lowers work fine.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty Sweet
View Quote
I need to get me one of those.

To the OP: not all lowers are equal as there are a ton of manufacturers out there trying to get into the AR business. However, there is certainly a point of diminishing return on a stripped, non-ambi lower. As long as you buy from a reputable company you will be good to go. It boils down to your budget and what you want the rollmark to look like.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hell, the only person who can answer which Lower to get is you.

I want an AXTS A-DAC Lower receiver, but they no longer sell them as stripped lowers, IIRC, they were $400.00+
View Quote

To the OP,

I'll echo what these guys have said. I paid over $500 for this lower after transfer fees and shipping BUT, it is by far my favorite lower ever made and is worth every penny to me. I've used rock river, spikes, essential arms and bcm forged lowers, seekins and now the axts billet. Buy what you like, no need to justify it.
It's worth the extra money if it's worth it to you.
If I had the opportunity I'd buy 3 more Ax556 lowers at $500 each in a heartbeat. I like them that much!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If you buy one with a fancy roll mark it'll impress your friends.

Fwiw, I have built 8 Anderson lowers and 1DTI lower, zero issues.Never paid more than $100 for a stripped lower ($100 was panic time ).

A forged lower is a forged lower, so long as it is machined to spec. Some have "nicer" finish, but that is subjective, imo. Install quality parts and you are gtg.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/theif01/20170221_172608_zpsorttghxs.jpg

To the OP,

I'll echo what these guys have said. I paid over $500 for this lower after transfer fees and shipping BUT, it is by far my favorite lower ever made and is worth every penny to me. I've used rock river, spikes, essential arms and bcm forged lowers, seekins and now the axts billet. Buy what you like, no need to justify it.
If I had the opportunity I'd buy 3 more Ax556 lowers at $500 each in a heartbeat. I like them that much!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell, the only person who can answer which Lower to get is you.

I want an AXTS A-DAC Lower receiver, but they no longer sell them as stripped lowers, IIRC, they were $400.00+

To the OP,

That's cool.  We all like different things.  No judgement on how you spend YOUR money.  

But serious question, WHY?  Again no judgement, just wondering what makes that lower worth five hundo to you?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm looking to get a stripped lower for a second rifle and was curious as to how much of an improvement it is going from a $90 Aero Precision stripped lower to say a $249 Seekins Precision lower.

View Quote

One is more expensive
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

One is more expensive
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One is more expensive
The Aero lower is forged.  The Seekins lower is billet.  That's what accounts for the huge difference in cost.  Billet will always be more expensive than a forged lower.  

When comparing apples to apples (forged vs forged) I honestly comes down to the roll mark 9.5 times out of 10.  It's pretty hard to fuck up a forged lower, but there are some companies out there that do.  Stick to the big names and you'll be fine.  There are occasionally difference in features on forged lowers but it's not common (I.E. integral trigger guards, ambi bolt release, upper tensioning screw, ect).

When comparing oranges to oranges (billet vs billet) it comes down to how it looks and what features it has.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm perfectly happy sticking with the Aero/Spikes receivers if that means more money for more essential parts, and I'm definitely not in it for the 'likes' both on and off the range.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's cool.  We all like different things.  No judgement on how you spend YOUR money.  

But serious question, WHY?  Again no judgement, just wondering what makes that lower worth five hundo to you?
View Quote
Flawless ambi controls, flawless machining and finish and its beautiful. Likely the best made lower out there.
On top of that it's rare. Mine has a serial # in the 400's.
It really isn't bragging rights or anything or the sort. The first time I saw the pictures online I wanted one. It took me 5 or 6 years to finally get my hands on it. That makes it pretty damned special to me. It's been by far my hardest part to secure.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:38:51 AM EDT
[#14]
$90 for the Aero lower?  Brownells has them for $59 right now.  However for my most recent build I used a $47 Anderson and it's been 100% perfect.  I bought a billet lower way back for my first build because I thought something "fancy" would be cool, but now I realize it's just heavier with zero benefit.  I actually prefer the Anderson.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:00:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been perfectly happy with my Aero build. I also have a build that'll be on a Spikes lower that I'm still in the parts gathering stage for.

Aero build below, pre-optic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Waste of money. A lower is a lower is a lower. Only thing is to make sure the lower is 7075-t6, and you usually don't have to worry about that unless you are rolling your own with 80% lowers. Unless rollmark is overly important to you, or if you buy into the whole billet fad, spend $50 on an Anderson or Aero Precision and the other $200 on ammo.

That said, I roll my own, all are 80% 7075-t6 forged lowers, anodized, and they run $45-60 a piece.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

To the OP,

View Quote

Very, VERY NICE....
Thats is worth x2 on cool factor alone.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#18]
For $140(currently on sale), you can have a true ambi-capable lower from Aero Precision here!!!!  It's also compatible with short throw safety selectors and has the markings to work with those or the traditional 90 degree safety.

I don't consider most "ambi" lowers to be true ambi unless the both catch actually stop and release the bolt, like the LWRC, Falkor Defense and a couple others.  Those are usually hard to get or quite expensive.

I've played around with the PDQ lever on a couple Aero lowers and I love it!  Some folks complain that the dust cover won't open all the way, doesn't bother me.  The PDQ release can also be installed in most other milspec type lowers but they must be machined for it.  I plan on doing that to a few of my lowers as I really dig the idea.

OP- Regarding the Spike's lowers: they don't make their lowers but their maker uses quality forgings so you should never have and issue.  

If you haven't looked into them much, MEGA Arms makes incredible lowers that are usually around $120.  Their roll mark, edges, fit and anodizing are the best of the forged bunch that I've ever found.  Their billet stuff is really nice too, but I prefer forged just as personal preference, including lower cost.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
One is prettier than the other.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top