Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2017 7:37:57 PM EDT
When removing my gas block, I sheared my hex key off in BOTH bolts.  I couldn't get those nubs out no matter what I did so I got the dremel out with a cutting bit to just cut them out.  Well, I went too deep on both of them and went into the barral about 1mm on one and 2mm on the other.  Should I scrap the barrel or is it still ok?

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Your barrel is fine
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It's fine
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That barrel is a SURVIVOR!

I say keep using it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You will be fine as long as you didn't go through to the inside. I've see deeper dimples than that so I wouldn't worry.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Fubar. Send it to me, I'll rehab it.

Kidding. I'm sure it's fine. EASY on the power tools.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you use loctite or rocksett on the threads?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EASY on the power tools.
View Quote

I like to learn the hardway
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't put the gas block on originally but I think it did have some sort of thread locker on it.  I thought about that after I broke the second hex key.  Probably should have used heat.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Next time before you WECSOG it with a dremel tool try using some easy outs....or better yet use penetrating oil and heat before trying to loosen the screws. And if that fails cut the gas block off rather than trying to dremel out the screws 
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Next time before you WECSOG it with a dremel tool try using some easy outs....or better yet use penetrating oil and heat before trying to loosen the screws. And if that fails cut the gas block off rather than trying to dremel out the screws 
View Quote

Plus, a heat gun is your friend.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah your okay. They probably used red loctite or rocksett. Try heat and acitone with loctite. Try heated water with rocksett. For rocksett I break out my wife's best pan. Fill it with water and boil the part on the stove top for a few mins then try and free the screw etc. She loves when I do that
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah your okay. They probably used red loctite or rocksett. Try heat and acetone with loctite. Try heated water with rocksett. For rocksett I break out my wife's best pan. Fill it with water and boil the part on the stove top for a few mins then try and free the screw etc. She loves when I do that
View Quote
Acetone +heat/ignition source= BAD
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top