Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2017 7:24:53 PM EDT
I have an upper I might buy a lighter weight barrel for.  I might either sell that rail (someone is interested in it) or just use it with a new barrel.  

I've never built a gun.  It was built by ADCO.  However, I have a buddy that has built a lot of AR's and he wasn't sure about this......

Here's the upper:

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
See if you can find your rail here
DD manuals
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm like 99% sure it's the M4 Rail, but the nut on mine is different than in that pic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You're gonna need a clamshell block to hold the upper in a vise, a pin spanner for the barrel nut and a strap wrench for the threaded ring nut. I'd warm it up with a heat gun in case there is loctite on it. My strap wrenches are Kobalt Brand from Lowes, Built a few uppers with the older DD rails back in the day.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the Plastixrevolution vise block set to be used in the horizontal position. Vise block

This strap wrench has served me well with many LaRue and KAC FF RAS collar installs.

A breaker bar and torque wrench will help you remove/install various barre nuts. I also recommend the Magpul armorer's wrench.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have an upper I might buy a lighter weight barrel for.  I might either sell that rail (someone is interested in it) or just use it with a new barrel.  

I've never built a gun.  It was built by ADCO.  However, I have a buddy that has built a lot of AR's and he wasn't sure about this......

Here's the upper:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/14397321_10209068708106770_192935213_n.jpg?oh=5c2d2b7c3f9cca6000fa83d43880c3ba&oe=58B4620D
View Quote

Link to pic is not working.  DD has made rails with standard barrel nuts and several different proprietary nuts.  We need to identify the rail to figure out which nut wrench or adapter you need.  With a good upper receiver vise block and wrench it should be an easy task to remove the barrel.  I like Brownells clamshell vise block.  See if you can get that pic posted and we will try to better identify the DD rail model.  Then, if proprietary you can get the adapter from DD.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top