Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 4:49:28 PM EDT
im going to start to order some parts, i want a reliable shooter, something i can take to a rifle class in the future, and a shtf gun.  i have a carbine 16" with drop in guards currently but my fever came back to build a new setup.
barrel length i want 16" so i dont have to deal with the bullshit if i need to replace parts.
slr ion lite 15 or the 13.7 length, not sure on length of rail
surefire muzzle brake or their flash hider for future use of a suppressor. (i dont have one yet but i will be owning on down the road) i under stand adjustable gas blocks, and gas port sizes and from what i understand i can run the bcm middy with non adjustable block fine due to the gas port size.
for the barrel, i was aiming towards the proven track record of the BCM middy hammer forged enhanced light weight, with their gas block to match, reliable, can take a beating.
for the upper i was going to get a bcm upper later when it comes in stock, so my components sit true with eachother.
for the bolt i have a new stag bcg i can use for now. but i will be getting either a bcm or another brand for this build once it gets running.

i just want a reliable gun that shoots decent. im not shooting tight groups on sandbags, but id like to hit where i aim effectively. i will be putting a red dot on it.
for my lower, since im in the ban state, i have a preban PWA lower with a stag LPK in it. but id like to get a larue trigger as well, but after the upper is built.

any suggestions or input would be nice, personal opinions, etc. just looking for some guidance if im on the right track here. what would you guys do different?  

thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#1]
no one huh?

ordered 33ms grease
ordered BCM 16" bfh ELW barrel
ordered BCM low pro GB .625
ordered BCM midlength tube

narrowed it down to the surefire flash suppressor SF3P, still debating the rail length, leaning towards the 15" SLR ION lite.   inputs on length but i think 15 on a 16 looks sweet.

will be ordering rail soon, hopefully SLR will have a promo or deal going on.
will be waiting for bcm upper or another brand (recommend one) for another order along with flash suppressor.
i love battle arms products in terms of quality and finish, their BCG looks nice, but how does it hold up? am i better off getting a BCM because they are proven?
i will be ordering slowly to lessen the blow to the wallet
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered slr ion lite mlok 15" last night.
I got my aeroshell
I got my barrel GB and tube today.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Slid on GB to see how it fit, and to start to mark where I need to drill the second dimple. The barrel came predimpled under the gas port and lined up easy and correctly.
Now I need to find an upper.
I want a BCM upper so everything is true and in spec with each other, but they are no where to be found.
What other brand has good specs, good quality control and is tight? Not looking for psa parts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The Vltor MUR upper receiver would be a great choice to look at.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Was trying to keep it around 125.
What other brand is a good one that have been personally used by you guys? I'm looking for a good fit and finish from a reputable brand.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
What you're doing should work fine.  I personally don't care for the 15" handguards.  I've got one, and definitely prefer mine to be in the 12-13" area.  The 15" is just too long for me to use fully, and it adds bulk and some weight.  

My personal preferences are to use mid-length gas, forged upper and lower, and keep everything as simple as possible.  My guns get used and get knocked around a little more than they maybe should, but they end up showing their character, much like my favorite boots always do.  I figure simpler construction and parts means less to go wrong, less to worry about, and simpler to repair should the need arise.  I also don't buy real high-dollar stuff, so I may be coming at this from a different angle than you are.

I don't personally care for the AAC flash hider, but I know it's pretty popular.  Something to keep in mind on that is that once you have a 16" barrel, and then add a suppressor to it, you end up with a pretty long setup.  It's one of the biggest reasons so many people go the SBR route.  It's up to you though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea I'm kind of building a do all rifle, with the shit I've been wanting since the beginning. And I agree about the can deal. It will be long, but that's down a road I haven't gotten to yet, future use.
Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I found a bcm stripped upper finally, Bauer precision in case anyone was wondering. Shipped out same day!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Received my rail and upperAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Going to start slapping parts together. Barrel is in the freezer and the upper is getting warmed up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#12]
WOW! from 2/17/2017 to 2/28/2017, your build is going fast! It looks great as well! you asked about different mods, here are my recommendations.

1. geissele ssa-e two stage trigger. Like my Jewish friends say,..."Dahling..it's like buttah"
2 bravo co. charging handle, I have the extensions on both sides, because I have scoped this rifle.
3. the odin extended magazine release...gen. 1..(it's the little things)

my 1/2 build consisted of an anderson standard stripped lower, then I couldn't pass up a dpms brand complete upper assy,,"tpr 20" bead blasted stainless steel barrel,  with their  modular free float m-111 handgard....the whole upper with upgraded bcg was $631.00 free shipping... combined with the trigger, it will shoot the balls off a male knat.
Regards!
1shot1killed
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Was the slip fit on your barrel that tight that it required heat & freezing?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes. Bcm uppers are machined to tighter tolerances for more tight fit which can lead to better accuracy. Plus, I wouldn't want my barrel to ever fit into a upper with slop or being a little loose. I like to have these parts fit snugly. I even had to get the rubber mallet out as well for some taps.

There was a note that said it may require heat.

I used my caliber to measure ID of upper and OD of barrel extension. And it was a over a thousandth difference between the two if I recall correctly I did not write the numbers down though.

ETA: I put the barrel in the freezer for 30minutes, and heated the upper with a hair dryer for 5 minutes
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#15]
So I test fired today, loaded one 855 in the mag, bolt locked back fine.

Loaded 193's, cycles great. and very smooth compared to my carbine gas upper.
Loaded cheap ass PMC 223 55gr and dumped all 10 I loaded up. Bolt locked back last round.  

Again I can't believe how smooth this is compared to a carbine length gas system.

No feed issues, no cycling issues, ejects at 330-4, runs good. I get my irons tomorrow and my new flash hider. I found a surefire sf3p 1/2x28 finally the supplier had 1 left. Good thing I ordered a smith vortex for nothing!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top