Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 5:24:28 PM EDT
Like the title says, I want to build a 9mm AR that has an upper with a built in 9mm shell deflector (I'm a lefty) and takes glock magazines.  I would also prefer to build, not buy, so I'm not having to pay for parts I'm going to replace anyways.  

It seems like most "one stop shop" for an upper and lower see either one or the other.

And it seems like I might be able to combine parts from different manufactures, but I'm a little unsure about the part about having a special bolt to accept glock magazines.  I'd prefer to buy one milled already and not have to send it off to get work done.  

So, does anyone have any experience buying an off the shelf compete upper with a shell deflector and combining it with a glock-style lower (I'd really like to use a PSA glock lower, if possible).

ETA: typo.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
First off the shell deflector is on the upper, and has nothing to do with the lower.

Anderson lightweight upper is what you seek.  Got mine from AIM sports shipped for about $50.  It's sitting on a PSA forged Glock lower.  Still need a few parts to finish it off.  You could also get a regular upper, and install a 9mm gas deflector and half dust cover instead of a standard dust cover.  It sticks out more than just the standard deflector.

JSE surplus has a bunch of 9mm parts including the gas deflector and half dust cover.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First off the shell deflector is on the upper, and has nothing to do with the lower.

Anderson lightweight upper is what you seek.  Got mine from AIM sports shipped for about $50.  It's sitting on a PSA forged Glock lower.  Still need a few parts to finish it off.  You could also get a regular upper, and install a 9mm gas deflector and half dust cover instead of a standard dust cover.  It sticks out more than just the standard deflector.http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/jterry831/shockwave/20170214_172452.jpg

JSE surplus has a bunch of 9mm parts including the gas deflector and half dust cover.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. That was just a typo at the bottom when I called it a lower, as you can tell in the first part of my post when I correctly said upper. I've corrected it.

That said, with the correction made, what I was meaning to say was I'm really wanting a complete upper with a deflector.  I don't mind modifying a complete upper somewhat but I'm not set up, nor really have a desire right now, to build an upper yet.  

So are you saying you can add a deflector fairly easily?  Obviously not like the upper you posted but one of those plastic looking half circle ones (a la colt)?  How do they attach? So could you add one to a complete PSA upper?

...off to look at JSE.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If you buy this kit you can add it to whatever upper receiver you want so long as it has an ejection port door (the Anderson light weight listed above doesn't have one).  It installs same as a standard ejection port door.  You can buy a 9mm specific upper receiver if you really want...I think they're way overpriced since you can us any cheap AR upper with shell deflector and FA (even if you don't use the FA) for ~$50 rather than a 9mm specific one with that kit on it for over $100.

BCG's are easy, lots of options.  I picked up a KAW valley one from AIM during their 20yr sale.  Only one I'd stay away from is the NFA modular one.  You'll likely have to replace the firing pin in short order so the cost savings sort of goes out the window.  

AIM also has some 9mm barrels on sale right now (4" NFA I know was in stock a few hours ago)
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep an eye at Rock River, they have one but is currently out of stock.

Rock River 9mm upper
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The rock river 9mm upper is a little pricey for me.........I just bought a stripped Aero Precision flat top upper without forward assist.......I initially was using a standard AR dust cover but took it off........I sent the upper to the Mad Machinist for some barrel work and to my surprise he returned it with the Colt style half/cover and I really like the set up he supplied me........You can get one from Tom's Tactical for  65.00 with free shipping............just replace the dust cover with a colt style half/cover.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#6]
the jse addon listed above looks like this installed

be sure to install it before you put on the barrel. lol.
you can see the original deflector behind it. is a little weird, but I got used to it. vs spending more for a slick upper.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#7]
A number of places sell the rubber deflector, and spring, and you can cut your ejection port cover yourself, However, I have been told that the rubber deflector isn't really needed, unless you're using a suppressor, and that's a maybe (some who use suppressors say they have not had problem with blowback gas in their faces).  I just assembled a 9mm upper on a slick sided Aero Precision upper and everything went on smoothly, no issues; haven't shot it (Colt style mags).  As cool as the rubber deflector and small door look, if it works with the standard parts, then I see no reason to alter them.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the jse addon listed above looks like this installed

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff216/andrewshsia/dustcover_zpszfbvdvbi.jpg

be sure to install it before you put on the barrel. lol.
you can see the original deflector behind it. is a little weird, but I got used to it. vs spending more for a slick upper.
View Quote

My preference is to buy a complete upper. So is it impossible to add it after assembly?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A number of places sell the rubber deflector, and spring, and you can cut your ejection port cover yourself, However, I have been told that the rubber deflector isn't really needed, unless you're using a suppressor, and that's a maybe (some who use suppressors say they have not had problem with blowback gas in their faces).  I just assembled a 9mm upper on a slick sided Aero Precision upper and everything went on smoothly, no issues; haven't shot it (Colt style mags).  As cool as the rubber deflector and small door look, if it works with the standard parts, then I see no reason to alter them.

Good luck
View Quote

Are you left handed?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My preference is to buy a complete upper. So is it impossible to add it after assembly?
View Quote

The easiest way is remove the handguard, and slide the pin out the front. That way you don't have to fight that tiny c clip.  You just have to thread it back in through the spring with the legs going the right direction.  Just snap a pic to so you'll know.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top