Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 2:45:51 PM EDT
I have a standard stealth 16 inch barrel from Larue. Is it correct that I need an upper receiver without m4 feed ramps? Where can I find this receiver? I am starting to wonder if I am out of my element here and maybe I should just trade it off. I know nothing of building uppers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Email or call Larue

Odds are your barrel is already cut for extended feed ramps post a picture of the barrel extension (The part that goes into the receiver.) if the feed ramp cuts noticeably extend over the edge then its cut for for a feed ramp receiver.

Most newer barrels are cut for feedramps.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Email or call Larue

Odds are your barrel is already cut for extended feed ramps post a picture of the barrel extension (The part that goes into the receiver.) if the feed ramp cuts noticeably extend over the edge then its cut for for a feed ramp receiver.

Most newer barrels are cut for feedramps.
View Quote

I don't think it is cut like that. Larue has the standard and the M4 feed ramps. I have the standard. Maybe it is best to just save a bit more and order direct from Larue.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a standard stealth 16 inch barrel from Larue. Is it correct that I need an upper receiver without m4 feed ramps? Where can I find this receiver? I am starting to wonder if I am out of my element here and maybe I should just trade it off. I know nothing of building uppers.
View Quote

Per Larue, if you have standard you need rifle receiver and if you have m4 use m4 receiver. They have a picture about it on the website showing correct and incorrect setup on the page to buy the Stealth barrel.

EDIT: I can't post pick but if you Google "Larue stealth barrel" it will show their site with stealth 556, take the link and scroll down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Rule of thumb:

Rifle upper=rifle or m4 ramped bbl extension
M4 upper= m4 ramped extension only

Determine which cuts your bbl extension has.

As stated above, there is a pic on the Larue site.

I have one setup rifle upper/M4 cut bbl and it shoots like a dream. No worries.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think it is cut like that. Larue has the standard and the M4 feed ramps. I have the standard. Maybe it is best to just save a bit more and order direct from Larue.
View Quote

You are correct, you don't want an upper with M4 cuts.  LaRue is the only one I'm aware of the makes them, but there are surely others.

A lot of A1 and A2 uppers on the EE don't have M4 cuts, if you want to go that route.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Aero has them as well.
link to Aero
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Aero has them as well.
link to Aero
View Quote

I subscribed to get a notification of when they are back in stock.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Noveske sells them as well.
Out of stock also, atm.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:08:01 AM EDT
[#9]
In stock at Brownells here

"These stripped, fully-forged upper receivers are CNC machined from a solid 7075 T-6 aluminum billet. Features include an integrated Picatinny rail with T-marks, forward assist housing, and a black anodized finish. Does not feature M4 feed ramps."
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"These stripped, fully-forged upper receivers are CNC machined from a solid 7075 T-6 aluminum billet. Features include an integrated Picatinny rail with T-marks, forward assist housing, and a black anodized finish. Does not feature M4 feed ramps."
View Quote

Nice. I saw some on the EE awhile back and wondered where else to find them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks!!! Ordered
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Yay!!! Just showed up. Only a few more pieces needed. Gas block, gas tube, forward assist, dust cover, and a rail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yay!!! Just showed up. Only a few more pieces needed. Gas block, gas tube, forward assist, dust cover, and a rail.
View Quote

Brownells or JSE Surplus are my go to.

Glad you found what you wanted.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Brownells or JSE Surplus are my go to.

Glad you found what you wanted.
View Quote

Since it is a Larue barrel I am trying to decide if I should just order a gas block from them
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Since it is a Larue barrel I am trying to decide if I should just order a gas block from them
View Quote

I would. Some components I like to keep manufacturer specific, just my personal preference. The smalls(dust cover, FA, etc.) I like to use the vendors mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can order the Larue for $75 or the SLR with .450 set screw spacing for $35.  I have both and would use the SLR going forward.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd use the SLR that's $35. No need to pay twice as much for a gas block. I used a plain steel low profile gas block I paid $18.95 for on the latest upper I built last weekend and it works great.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Just picked up a 13 inch parallax gen 2
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You can order the Larue for $75 or the SLR with .450 set screw spacing for $35.  I have both and would use the SLR going forward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went ahead and ordered the SLR
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top