Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2017 10:32:04 PM EDT
Recent build included a MI G3 Lightweight ML-Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, M-LOK

Attachment Attached File

This is the super slim 1.5 OD stock.  So obviously there is going to be some heat transfer to the hand, even with the magpul covers.  I'm tossing around the idea of using exaust pipe wrap, not on the barrel itself but, on the inside of the stock and not touching the barrel.  My thought is to place it only in the 4-6" space where my hand holds the stock.  

My goal would be to reduce the heat to my hand and redirect as little heat as possible back to the barrel.

I really like the feel of this stock and don't want to change it.  I don't mind customizing my gear to fit me.  Just looking for thoughts on making this stock a little better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have that same rail on my 3 gun rifle and it never gets that hot. If it is a big deal to you, if I need mlok rail guards then I would suggest strike industries. They are reasonable priced and great quality.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have that same rail on my 3 gun rifle and it never gets that hot. If it is a big deal to you, if I need mlok rail guards then I would suggest strike industries. They are reasonable priced and great quality.
View Quote

It's a fairly new build and I haven't personally had a chance to shoot a great amount of rounds trough it yet.  I have magpuls mlok covers surrounding the area that I place my hand.  I've just read several complaints of how much they heat up and started brainstorming ideas for a fix.  Running three gun I'd imagine you have put quite a few mags through yours at one time.  If you haven't noticed heat beyond that of the old quad rail set up then I think I'll hold off.  Can't do much in the way of really "running" the gun to test how much it'll heat up at the ranges around me.  Slow shooting only is starting to drive me crazy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you seen anyone do what you are thinking about?  No, because it is unnecessary. Try gloves
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
How are you planning to apply the tape on the inside of the handguard?  Seems like it will be difficult to get in there.

Have you tried it out yet? You shouldn't really need extra heat protection.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
A heat shield in the handguard is not a new idea.
Personally I just wear the thin nomex gloves.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have that rail but i do have a BCM KMR which is pretty close to the barrel and just as if not thinner than that along with a pencil profile faxon barrel and i noticed a huge difference in heat mitigation when i just used the bcm keymod rail covers, on top of that if they are the bigger m lok covers from magpul you shouldn't have a single issue and if you do it will probably be negligible. I think you are over thinking the solution to the problem which can happen, but just take it a step at a time shouldn't be a problem
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Gloves are the heat shield you seek.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top