Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2017 9:01:01 PM EDT
Thought a few of you might enjoy this.

I had a commercial spec receiver extension that was boogered at the threads from a customer trying to install their own end plate without proper tools, and an MFT minimalist stock sitting about.

Couple those with about an hour of lathe time, some stainless round stock, and a Wolff XP buffer spring and you get this:

Same overall length as my LWRC UC stock, but lighter due to the MFT stock body and some trimming on the commercial tube (lots of unnecessary material on the back end).

Solid stainless buffer weighs like an H2, while being significantly shorter. So far running like a champ, suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that's seriously awesome. I'd buy that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Very similar to how I did mine. I used a UCIW receiver extension though. To get the MFT stock to collapse to the point that the receiver extension actually bottoms out inside the very back of the inside of stock, I had to use my mill to elongate the slot toward the front and add another forward locking position hole for the stock's pin to lock into. Inside, I've got a short JP SCS out of a Maxim Defense CQB stock with a urethane spacer. I really like how you clipped the bottom off the butt pad area of your stock and may have to do mine. Have you noticed any comfort issues with shortening this area, or is it all upside?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't noticed any discomfort from the trimmed stock so far, but everyone is different.
I like that you left the QD socket on your stock body; my lower has a socket in the end plate, so I trimmed the stock to allow easier access to that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice work but IMO it needs some reciprocating mass in the buffer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

jaqufrost - if the rifle had adjustable gas, would you still believe you needed buffer mass?  Since an ultra-light buffer system like Taccom's works great with adjustable gas, I'm thinking trading buffer mass with gas would be ok?

OP - I really like your ingenuity.  Looks awesome.  That little bit of additional angled section at the bottom of the butt stock helps me roll the rifle up into shooting position from a ready position, so I think I would not cut it off if I copied your modification (I've come to rely on that during drills).  But, without that little bit, it does look better proportionally.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#7]
That looks great OP
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

jaqufrost - if the rifle had adjustable gas, would you still believe you needed buffer mass?  Since an ultra-light buffer system like Taccom's works great with adjustable gas, I'm thinking trading buffer mass with gas would be ok?

OP - I really like your ingenuity.  Looks awesome.  That little bit of additional angled section at the bottom of the butt stock helps me roll the rifle up into shooting position from a ready position, so I think I would not cut it off if I copied your modification (I've come to rely on that during drills).  But, without that little bit, it does look better proportionally.  Nice job.
View Quote
While that stuff works fine on semi auto guns run at low speeds, it leads to issues on machineguns and fast semi auto's.

Buffer selection for me is about preventing bolt bounce so I never hit a point my hammer falls and the carrier has bounced back open preventing the firing pin from getting a good strike and a failure to fire.

Buffer selection to prevent bolt bounce is different from taming recoil and is largely based upon the mass of the barrel, though other factors such as carrier weight, spring weight and overall rifle weight come into play.

I've got quite a few semi auto's that see 650 to 1400 rounds per minute, so it sticks out to me more than most
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got quite a few semi auto's that see 650 to 1400 rounds per minute, so it sticks out to me more than most
View Quote

WOW!  That is an amazing rate for a semi!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#10]
To be fair, I spend a lot more time at 900-1,000 RPM than 1400.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice work OP.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Got any pics of the tube?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#13]
These threads keep reminding me that I need to get a lathe. And maybe a mill. And maybe a garage to put them in. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I understand where you are coming from in terms of high rate of fire, but I've not had an issue with a fixed weight buffer in any of my 3 rifles that have them. One is my primary 3 gun rifle with many thousands of rounds through multiple barrels.
For an application other than controlled pairs or "slow" semi auto, the reciprocating mass can definitely come in to play. If I were to make this system for a rapid fire weapon (bumpSAW, select fire, etc), then I would have incorporated reciprocating mass into the buffer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got any pics of the tube?
View Quote

Happy to take a few; anything in particular you would like to see?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice work, looks great! Now take some pliers and work that last coil flat.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice work, looks great! Now take some pliers and work that last coil flat.
View Quote

If I do decide to close the coil, I definitely won't be doing it with pliers... there are more refined ways to get that done.
Other than aesthetics, I don't really see a reason to though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Just what the tube looks like
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top