Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2017 11:37:21 PM EDT
I’m trying to decide what to do with my post-ban AR: PWA lower with Model 1 Sales 16” carry-top and CAA collapsible stock. PWA lowers are apparently high quality. I’d like something more functional for home defense, general plinking, and a little more tacticool, i.e., a 16” flat-top w/ fixed post, bayonet lug, flash suppressor, flip-up rear site. Eventually I’d add a close-range optic and maybe a tac light and vertical grip. One friend suggested I stick with my PWA lower and add a mid-length upper from Palmetto State Armory (PSA) ($299 with BCG, no rear sight). Others recommend that I either stick with the PWA lower but put a Bravo Co. Recce mid-length upper on it ($603 w/o charging handle, BCG, or rear sight), or that I sell my current rig and buy a S&W M&P15 Sport II ($699.99, w/ rear sight).

So which is better overall: PWA lower w/ PSA upper, PWA lower w/ Bravo upper, or ditching the current rig and getting the S&W? I know nothing about PSA, and I wonder if the Bravo upper might be overkill for a casual shooter like me, but I understand the mid-length uppers have better gas systems than the standard carbine uppers like the S&W. With the S&W I’d also have to replace the barrel guards to add a foregrip and light. Should I rebuild my current gun with a “pre-ban” upper or should I sell the whole thing and just buy a new rig like the S&W?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:35:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's time you add another AR to the collection.

If there's nothing wrong with your rig, I wouldn't mess with it. Shop PSA and buy a shooter. PSA is gtg.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So which is better overall: PWA lower w/ PSA upper, PWA lower w/ Bravo upper, or ditching the current rig and getting the S&W? I know nothing about PSA, and I wonder if the Bravo upper might be overkill for a casual shooter like me, but I understand the mid-length uppers have better gas systems than the standard carbine uppers like the S&W. With the S&W I’d also have to replace the barrel guards to add a foregrip and light. Should I rebuild my current gun with a “pre-ban” upper or should I sell the whole thing and just buy a new rig like the S&W?
View Quote

PWA lowers are nice lowers, but these days mill-spec lowers are all pretty much the same.  To answer your question, keep the old PWA rifle, buy a complete lower and a complete upper from PSA - you can put together a nice mid-length stainless barreled 1:8 rifle for under $500 (+ S&H and transfer) if you get the pieces on sale.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I’m trying to decide what to do with my post-ban AR: PWA lower with Model 1 Sales 16” carry-top and CAA collapsible stock. PWA lowers are apparently high quality. I’d like something more functional for home defense, general plinking, and a little more tacticool, i.e., a 16” flat-top w/ fixed post, bayonet lug, flash suppressor, flip-up rear site. Eventually I’d add a close-range optic and maybe a tac light and vertical grip. One friend suggested I stick with my PWA lower and add a mid-length upper from Palmetto State Armory (PSA) ($299 with BCG, no rear sight). Others recommend that I either stick with the PWA lower but put a Bravo Co. Recce mid-length upper on it ($603 w/o charging handle, BCG, or rear sight), or that I sell my current rig and buy a S&W M&P15 Sport II ($699.99, w/ rear sight).

View Quote

If funds don't allow to keep and buy. I'd suggest Anderson kit, complete rifle with 80% receiver for $399 shipped at midway I know and sure other places have them too. Depending on where you live you could recoup about a $100 by selling the lower and then buy a $50 stripped at a LGS. Either way that's a full gun for under $400. It's not the best gun but (to me) the quality exceeds the price. Having owned a Ruger AR556, M&P Sport and an Anderson kit gun they are all pretty equal, except the bcg, Ruger has the best of the three.

EDIT: This should allow you to keep what you have, if it's tighter than that.....Johnny Cash it.........one piece at a time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Many thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback very much. Keeping the old plain-jane PWA/Model 1 rig and adding an Anderson or PSA kit gun to the collection Cash style sounds like a good plan to me. The Bravo Co. upper is really more than I need and would require more immediate budget stretching than I need to do. Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Johnny Cash it.........one piece at a time.
View Quote

Wonder how many under 50 got your reference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Ha! Not too many, but I'm well under 50 myself, so I may be the exception.

D.B.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top