Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2017 12:41:44 PM EDT
This whole build has been a freaking fight... first trying to get parts (before election) and now trying to get it together.

Anyway got a grip for it last weekend, stuck it on to see how it felt and noticed it wasn't centered on the receiver.  The grip tab is offset while I think the grip screw hole is centered, the screw does screw in all the way but with quite a bit of drag as it cut threads in the side of the grip.  Bottom line is it will work and is functional but less than ideal for my "nicer" Grendel build.  My two previous builds (using the same brand of receivers) are perfect, the aluminum changes to plastic with no seam other than the different textures.

The thickness of the tab is correct but it's location is not, machinging the trigger guard tabs must be based off the grip mounting because the built in one fits that perfectly.  What is "mil-spec" for that?   The one drawing I found online was +/- .005, is that correct?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
This is what happens when you buy cheap parts
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Swap grips around some, maybe find a forgiving combination. Stack those tolerances.

Im gonna quit buying Andersons soon.....before my luck changes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Swap grips around some, maybe find a forgiving combination. Stack those tolerances.

Im gonna quit buying Andersons soon.....before my luck changes.
View Quote

Between me, my brother and my dad out of 5 this is the biggest problem.

And I know they all have a bad one slip out.

I thought about switching but my other two are FDE, this one was going to have black furniture.  I have tried my CMMG A2 grips from the previous parts kits and they are the same.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
My son bought a few Anderson lowers and commented that he was unhappy with the quality. He said he wished he had sent them back before completing the FFL paperwork.

I think this is a phenomenon (sloppy quality control) with many of the the manufacturers... as demand/sales went up, the quality control went down. Thing is, this can come back to hurt a company's reputation.

And, no, you are not being too picky in my view. Although the defect is minor in terms of size, it's major in terms of your perception/satisfaction with your build components.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Between me, my brother and my dad out of 5 this is the biggest problem.

And I know they all have a bad one slip out.

I thought about switching but my other two are FDE, this one was going to have black furniture.  I have tried my CMMG A2 grips from the previous parts kits and they are the same.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm on #7 with zero issues thus far. Just being cheeky.

Eta: Contact Anderson, sure they will work it out for you.
More delays though, I know.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#6]
CERRO technically forged the product and Anderson did their little Q.C. with some light machining but it seems to be a growing trend. I only have 1 Anderson lower in the fleet but for the most part, everything seemed on par. I couldn't use a MIAD pistol grip because of a small hiccup but I put on a MOE+ and it worked fine. Never really looked too in depth with calipers to check tolerances on it as it was one of my first builds that I didn't throw much high end stuff at but it makes me wonder. At this point - and it's shitty to say - you get what you pay for. I have a few VSEVEN lowers which are probably double the cost of an Anderson but more than double the quality. As are my Sons of Liberty Gun Works lowers. Spending a few more bucks and yielding a better product is always a trade off I'd welcome.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
cut

file

jb weld.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I only have a upper, lower, UPK and a grip in hand and a buffer kit and charging handle on order.  So not a whole lot of progress to stop yet.

I have been talking with Anderson about it, not sure which way it is going to go.

Quoted:
CERRO technically forged the product and Anderson did their little Q.C. with some light machining but it seems to be a growing trend. I only have 1 Anderson lower in the fleet but for the most part, everything seemed on par. I couldn't use a MIAD pistol grip because of a small hiccup but I put on a MOE+ and it worked fine. Never really looked too in depth with calipers to check tolerances on it as it was one of my first builds that I didn't throw much high end stuff at but it makes me wonder. At this point - and it's shitty to say - you get what you pay for. I have a few VSEVEN lowers which are probably double the cost of an Anderson but more than double the quality. As are my Sons of Liberty Gun Works lowers. Spending a few more bucks and yielding a better product is always a trade off I'd welcome.

No complaints on my first two, and they actually do have MIADs on them.

Quoted:
cut

file

jb weld.

Thought about it, the integrated trigger guard complicates it.  Still not off the table though (thinking if it didn't work out cut the trigger guard off and drill a hole so it could be held on by a setscrew at the back)  Also on the fence if it is really worth the work to do that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Anderson did basicly everything that matters , which is all the machining.  

I never understood the obsession with the forge an forge marks.  You basically never here of an issue that is related to the forging as opposed to the machining.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is what happens when you buy cheap parts
View Quote

Ayup.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Picked up a digital caliper so I can go a little finer than "about half of 1/32""

According to the drawing I found:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/cad/

The grip mounting hole has .015+/-" of play since it isn't marked otherwise.  And then the right side of the tab has an additional .005"+/-.  So there is .020" of tolerance to fumble around with right there.  Mine is off .015" about on the nose... still in spec.

I pulled the grip off my 20" rifle, it is off .010".  And the MIAD grip fits both lowers about the same... and quite a bit better than the Danial Defense grip.  Dang no name cheap parts anyway...

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Andersons are 40 bucks. V7s cheapest are 150.
Do any of you people shoot your guns, or just look at them and complain? You guys are complaining about cheap parts. If it fits it works plain and simple.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey, I knew I purchased a "mil-spec" lower.  I know about the thread depth on the grip screw hole but that doesn't bother me.  I just thought it looked weird when I put it together and asked for what the measurement was supposed to be.  Nobody apparently knew.  I found it on my own and it is fine.

I was concerned how the plastic grip would like having stress on it from the grip bolt pushing on the one side of the hole but it must be ok.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have built several anderson lowers,  I had one that the bolt catch roll pin hole was too clost to the reciever causing the bolt to catch every round. By that time the whole lower was together, so I said screw it and modified the bolt catch a bit. Its a throw around truck gun so I could care less.  I guess if I were building a nice build I would not use an Anderson when there are so many great quality lower for just a bit more money.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top