Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2017 12:34:43 AM EDT
Just finished up my first build. Loved it all in all, I bought my first ar about a year ago and wanted to start swapping parts out and was reading up on it and kept seeing things about people saying just build your own. Started adding up what i wanted to do and decided to sell the one I had bought (bushmaster from buds for about $600) and save up some money to do my own build. Started with an anderson lower and lpk then an anderson upper, they fit together like a glove, for the price i couldnt be any happier. Went witn a PSA Nickel boron bcg, palmetto 16" mid 1:7 Nitride barrel, PSA mid length gas tube, Swapped out the terrible trigger that came with the anderson lpk for a PSA polished trigger, which feels good so far.BCM buffer tube kit, MAGPUL CTR stock and MBUS sights, troy low profile gas block, UTS 15" free float hand guard, utg flashlight mount. Went with the magpul MBUS for now just so I can head to the range with it while I save up for a good red dot. now I cant wait to build a pistol.. Its addicting

Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good. Have you shot it yet? Its always good to learn 'Iron Sights' as a backup. don't get into a hurry to get a red dot. Instead, get plenty of ammo and learn to shoot well with the irons. You'll be surprised how good you can get with them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice job! Move that rear sight back and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice job! Move that rear sight back and you're good to go.
View Quote

Rear sight all the way REAR
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I'll get it moved to the rear. And he sights I'm not too worried about shoot the m16 at work and only have ever had the iron sights. Taking it to the range I'm a couple hours for the first time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks great! Glad you took on the task of building something with your own two hands. You appreciate it much more after that regardless of the tier you build. High end, low end, mid range, precision, etc., it's all better building it yourself and seeing what REALLY goes on inside the blood and guts.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I like it.

Now how long until you find yourself having to build another one
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I want to build a pistol next haha. But at the range today. Had a lot if failure to feeds. It sure what was going on. Did it more with my one magpul 20 round mag than the others. Any ideas? M4 feed Ramps and m4 barrel
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I want to build a pistol next haha. But at the range today. Had a lot if failure to feeds. It sure what was going on. Did it more with my one magpul 20 round mag than the others. Any ideas? M4 feed Ramps and m4 barrel
View Quote

Without pictures, you're going to have a slew of suggestions. Failure to feed means a few things are happening. Here are the suggestions that are going to follow in some fashion:
1. Is the BCG dry? Was it lubricated before use? If not, this can be an issue.
2. Did you try a few different magazines? Did it fail to feed with every mag? If so, this may not be the issue.
3. Is the gas tube mounted correctly? It's possible that you're not getting enough gas to the BCG to fully cycle.
4. Is the BCG cycling properly against the barrel? Make sure you don't see weird marks against the feed ramps as if it wasn't cycling correctly into the ramps.
5. What type of ammo are you using? Sometimes, steel cased ammo gives some AR's issues. It shouldn't but it's not uncommon.
6. Is the gas key lining up with the gas tube? Is there any friction or resistance?
7, How often is it failing to feed? Every single time?
8. What buffer are you using? Regular weight, heavy, specialized?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Without pictures, you're going to have a slew of suggestions. Failure to feed means a few things are happening. Here are the suggestions that are going to follow in some fashion:
1. Is the BCG dry? Was it lubricated before use? If not, this can be an issue.
2. Did you try a few different magazines? Did it fail to feed with every mag? If so, this may not be the issue.
3. Is the gas tube mounted correctly? It's possible that you're not getting enough gas to the BCG to fully cycle.
4. Is the BCG cycling properly against the barrel? Make sure you don't see weird marks against the feed ramps as if it wasn't cycling correctly into the ramps.
5. What type of ammo are you using? Sometimes, steel cased ammo gives some AR's issues. It shouldn't but it's not uncommon.
6. Is the gas key lining up with the gas tube? Is there any friction or resistance?
7, How often is it failing to feed? Every single time?
8. What buffer are you using? Regular weight, heavy, specialized?
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. Ill have to wait till I'm off duty to pull it apart. I did not lube the bcg too much. Hopefully that is the issue. It has a back buffer. Just regular weight. 16" barrel with mid length gas tube.  It would cycle normal bolt would go forward. But just not chamber a round. It did it a couple times with my magpul 30 rd mag, then almost every time with my magpul 20 rd mag them my aluminum 30 rd mag only once. (Shot this one last with cheap tulammo).  Other mags had pic bronze loaded
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, like Hidden was saying.

Check easier fixes:
-Make sure you have enough lub
-Try different mags

Medium difficulty fixes:
-The buffer might be too heavy.
-the buffer spring might be too stiff.
-Gas tube and gas key not aligned right.

Hard fixes:
-Gas port on the barrel isn't wide enough (pretty sure you just have to send it back if that's the case).
-Gas block not aligned right, blocking off a portion of the gas port.

Hidden listed a few other possibilities, but that's what I'm familiar with.  There's probably more possibilities than this.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#11]
So what ammo are you shooting?
Is the BCG a AR-15 or M-16?
Here's my suggestion,
Lube it up good,
Load one round in mag, send it, check that the BCG is locking back on the final round.
Then move to two rounds, see how it does.
If you have an AR-15 BCG with a light buffer it could be cycling too fast in which you'll need a heavier buffer.
If it's short stroking it could possibly be, gas key, tube alignment, gas port or gas block could be off but I don't imagine that'd be the issue.
OH one other thing doubt it's this but.. process of elimination is how you'll learn to trouble shoot issues. Pull the bolt from the carrier and check the gas rings there are three separate rings and that gap in the rings can align, like I said though its unlikely.

Eta nevermind the ammo question, (PMC bronze)
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you informed next time I can get to the range. Hopefully this weekend. The mags don't need to be greased or anything right? Also it's an m16 bcg
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Really nice build and thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish you the best. Maybe take a few pictures of what's going on. Stove piping, short stroking, pictures of the bolt in full battery, how the M4 feed ramps mate with the upper receiver, etc. Take a ton of pictures. Also, look for any obvious wear that shouldn't be obvious.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I really appreciate the help guys. New update I moved the gas block just a little bit It was a little bitoff center I think and also lubed the bcg more, took it to the range and fired about 90 rounds with no problem. Not sure which of the two were the problem but it's running good now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I really appreciate the help guys. New update I moved the gas block just a little bit It was a little bitoff center I think and also lubed the bcg more, took it to the range and fired about 90 rounds with no problem. Not sure which of the two were the problem but it's running good now.
View Quote

nice drag!  If the gas block was off center that was probably your problem.  But not having a lubed BCG definitely wouldn't have made things any easier.  Glad it's working properly!
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Where did you get the american flag dust cover?  Its awesome.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Where did you get the american flag dust cover?  Its awesome.
View Quote

Thanks man I got it from tacticalgearjunkie.com was about $12
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:20:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice looking build!
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a similar problem. It was the Anderson nitride finished BCG causing the problem.
Replaced it with a NiB Fail Zero.. it's perfect.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top