Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2017 10:33:27 PM EDT
I began putting together the lower for a new pistol build today. When I went to a attach the grip (magpul moe) it fit extremely tight and when I got it in place and screwed it in, I noticed there was a very small gap between the grip and receiver. I backed out the screw and fought with it to close the gap. Now I can't get the screw to start going back in the hole.

I removed the grip and the screw went in fine. I tried an a2 style grip that did not fit tight at all and same problem, couldn't get the screw in. When I could get it to grab a thread it would turn a couple time then get tight to the point where it felt I would damage the receiver threads.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like the angle and/or location of the hole in the lower is out of spec? Put the A2 in place on the lower and look inside the grip with a light and see?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  I've got one with a gap between the grip and the trigger guard ears.  Once you've got your grip located where you want it, check for alignment of the hole in the grip, as #2 suggested above, and swap out some spares to try to eliminate the grip or the frame.  If this hole is slightly misaligned, this is expected to happen.  

I'd be more inclined to blame the grip, although I've never had a problem with any magpul stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Could I possibly have done something to the receiver trying to force the grip into position? It screwed in perfectly fine the first time
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could I possibly have done something to the receiver trying to force the grip into position? It screwed in perfectly fine the first time
View Quote

Not likely, if the screw is still going in with out the handle on, then you know the threads are not messed up, it has to be the alignment between the handle and the screw hole, if you want to be sure, take the handle off and screw the grip screw all the way in, to make sure there is not a burr on the threads.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's this "first time" stuff?  About the only thing you could have possibly done is cross threaded it.  Take a look at the threads in your receiver if in doubt.  

Cross threading is not very easy to do on an aluminum receiver.  You'll really feel it if it's not threading in properly.  But even then, you shouldn't have problems.  Have you stuck it together and looked at it with a flashlight yet?  Where is the gap showing up?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Pics!
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
It sure looks as though the location /angle of the hole in the lower is not located correctly.

Are the threads stripped now in the lower?

Eta: spelling
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not likely, except to strip the threads. Most likely the grip was canted to match the hole angle, thus the gap once "tight".
Some grips are tighter than others, I've had to "pound" them on before.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It sure looks as tho the location /angle of the hole in the lower is no located correctly.

Are the threads stripped now in the lower?
View Quote

The threads are fine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The threads are fine.
View Quote

Then my vote is the hole location/angle in the lower.

What brand lower?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Then my vote is the hole location/angle in the lower.

What brand lower?
View Quote

BCI Defense. I contacted them. They are also local to me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

BCI Defense. I contacted them. They are also local to me.
View Quote

Good plan. And lucky for you, local. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#14]
They asked me to call tomorrow. I've had good luck with their customer service in the past.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Update: BCI Defense is sending me a UPS label so they can inspect the lower and correct the problem or replace the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice, OP.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Hi,
   I've had your exact same problem,with Magpul MOE's.First,I'm not putting Magpul down.I have many of their product's,and,I have nothing but praise for them.
Now,without rambling on,it is not your lower.What I have discovered is that if you enlarge the hole in the grip by just a few .000's,by passing  a 9/32"  sharp drill
ONCE through the hole you will find your problem solved.You are basically reaming the hole without using a dedicated size reamer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
It happens with an a2 style grip also, not just the magpul
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#20]
BCI Defense will receive my lower tomorrow so well see what they say.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]

It looks like you need to take a round file and oval out the hole more towards the front.
Sometimes parts need to be fitted, facts of life. I've built all sorts of stuff and to me what you have is like the smallest problem I've ever had I could have fixed it in less time than it took you to post. I really don't know what the "spec" is for grip screw location, so I don't know if the manufacturer will fix it or tell you it's in spec, but me personally, I'd just fit the grip. And 99% of my grips have been tight to get onto the receiver, I wouldn't want them loose.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Not worried about what they will say. They replaced an upper for me because it had marks from machining on the finish inside the upper receiver. They have great customer service.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
The verdict was the screw hole was in the wrong place so they are sending me a new lower.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
but me personally, I'd just fit the grip. And 99% of my grips have been tight to get onto the receiver, I wouldn't want them loose.
View Quote

Same here.
A few times I've had to snug the screw, rock the grip forward and backward to walk it on more, tighten the screw some more, rinse/repeat until tight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The verdict was the screw hole was in the wrong place so they are sending me a new lower.
View Quote

Good deal!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top