Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2017 3:39:39 PM EDT
Hey guys,

So I am wanting to get into building my own AR's, I hear they are like legos but for grown ups.

So I've watched several different AR build videos on YouTube and they show what tools are required. But I am wondering which specific tools have you guys learned to trust and lean on, looking at brownells, they have a bazillion different options for every tool. I'm not sure which are a safe buy and which might be more prone to breaking quickly.

I don't really have a budget in mind, I'm not trying to spend anything like $1000. But I want the tools I buy to last for longer than just a couple of builds. So I'm not looking for full blown professional Gunsmith tools, but I'm also not looking for the cheapest/weakest.

Can y'all make some recommendations on which specific tools (brand, model) you use/recommend? I'm trying to build a solid tool set. (Right now I have zero tools as far as gun smithing goes.)

Any insight y'all could provide would be extremely helpful, I'm a complete novice so the more recommendations you make the better off I'll be.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Roll pin punch set

Small brass hammer

Razor blade

Electrical tape

Vise block

Blue loctite

Needle nose pliers

Castle nut wrench

Auto punch

For a lower at least.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd highly recommend the Magpul BEV block for barrel/muzzle device installation and removal, as well as it's function as a mag well block. When used in the mag well, you can install optics and stocks without needing three hands.

Of course, that necessitates having a good bench vise. I have one with a 5" jaw and a wide range of adjustment.

A good torque wrench for barrels and a small one for in-lbs for scope mounts is a good deal.

A good set of punches. A good screwdriver set. A decent AR wrench for stocks and muzzle devices.

I'd invest in a good cleaning rod like a Dewey rod.

That'll get you started.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The Geisselle gas block roll pin starter is also helpful if you are assembling a complete upper.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 magpul bev block, love it
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Kypnex pliers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on the Bev block from Magpul. Also there is a company called Arnzen Arms that sells their locally made version of the reaction rod for about half price. I have Geissele, Bev blocks, AND Arnzen Arms RR's in the shop. They both work as designed. Good set of ROLL PIN punches, AR multi-tools, Allen wrenches. Vise and a bench to put it on. Feel free to IM me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kypnex pliers.
View Quote

You can lead a horse to water, everything looks like a nail.

err, wait

When all you have is a hammer, you can't make it drink.

But really, the 7" Knipex pliers are the cats knees for putting the pins in. Hammer and drift are only needed for taking them back out.

These here, and very handy for non-gun stuff also.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Holy Smokes!! Those pliers ain't cheap. Thought they looked nifty to have around for all kinds of jobs but I'll have to pass unless I find someone selling them reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
What I have:

Tapco vice block for the lower and to hold the completed assembled rifle.

I have the wheeler front takedown pin tool, not really needed.  Kinda wish I had that $10 back.

I have a big set of vice grips that kind of looks like a whale to walk in the bolt catch roll pin.  A few turns, click, a few more turns, click...

Wheeler upper clamshell for the upper. Bevblock looks cool, not cool enough to replace a tool I had before it came out and for a rifle I am not going to assemble a bunch of.  My clamshell also has the insert with the gas block alignment tool which works great.  No complaints with it all.

Borrowed a DPMS armorer's wrench.  Going to get a Magpul wrench with a gift card from Christmas.  The green Tapco is supposed to be a good one, it was my first pic but the Magpul with a gift card costs about the same as the Tapco without.  Depending on what config you do it may not be required.  Most full float handgaurds with a proprietary barrel nut come with their own wrench.  A2 stocks don't use anything special to tighten down, I just used a good tight fitting open end wrench same as flash hider.  Just a stock wrench is much cheaper if you don't need the barrel nut part of the wrench but are planning on installing a telescoping stock.  

Bench vice.  I use it to press in the trigger guard rollpin.

Hard clear plastic packaging to use on the backside of the receiver when I am pressing the pins in to not harm the finish. (per iraqvetteran88's youtube video)

Kinda missed the boat but Sears has torque wrenches on sale at Christmas time for around $50.  Darn good deal.  I have a 1/2" drive one of those (not digital)

Rollpin punches.  I had a set of Wheeler ones, they bent like wet noodles the first time out.  I got a set of Mayhew ones and it has been good since.

A smaller ball peen hammer.

And headspace gauges for whatever caliber you are playing with.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They are expensive.   I made without a set for at least a decade after someone here recommended them.
I decided I'm not falling for some stupid overpriced German pliers, especially something so specialized.

I've never been more wrong!

The things are pure gold - they're worth EVERY PENNY! They'll pay for themselves the first time you (don't) crack a lower, but more importantly, I was dead-wrong about parallel-closing jaws being 'specialized'.  I catch myself using 'em (instead of pliers or vice-grips) all the time.
The only thing I regret is not buying a set twenty years ago.

I know they're not cheap, but they're so rugged they'll last a lifetime (or more). Not like something you'll have to replace every few years.
View Quote

^^ For real!

They are one of those tools that has a place in the box, but very rarely stay there. Stupid handy in so many applications.
Have a compound jaw so you can pinch the shit out of stuff, with little effort. Matco guy was always folding nickels up with them to show off. I think he just liked doing it, prob folded up his retirement doing that shit. lol

They do all the things that normal pliers do, and-
Better than a crescent wrench for bending sheet metal and stripping nuts.
Great for crimping insulated wiring ends without cutting the insulation, esp the heat shrink ones.
I have cold forged tools out of paper clips to push the pins out of wiring connectors many times.
Lost the spring bail off the back of your headlight? Let me see what the other one looks like and your key ring

They will become one of your goto tools when you get used to having them around. One of the few prized ones that you don't let anybody borrow.
Like that really fkn sweet pair of scissors your wife has an actual restraining order preventing you from getting within 10ft of, these are their manly counterpart
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

err, wait

But really, the 7" Knipex pliers are the cats knees for putting the pins in. Hammer and drift are only needed for taking them back out.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Vtw6Op7NL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kypnex pliers.

err, wait

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Vtw6Op7NL._SL1500_.jpg

This, a set of camshells for the upper, and a barrel nut wrench are all you need (and maybe a screwdriver for the grip screw).  A pair of needle nose pliers are helpful to study the pins when you're starting to push them in.

FWIW, kobalt makes parallel jaw pliers for about half the price.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]
A roll pin pusher and bolt catch tool from Little Crow Gunworks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#15]
As far as punches go, I have multiple sets of Grace USA and they have worked great for several builds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
It had been awhile since I put a lower together and forgot how nice it was to have a pivot pin installation tool. So much easier.
I got mine from squirelldaddy.com but I believe brownells and a couple other places carry them too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep collecting tools to make my life easier.

1. Set of punches
2. Roll pin starter punches
3. KAK Industries Walt's tool
4. 1/2" Torque wrench
5. Armor's Wrench
6. Magpul BEV block
7. Tapco Castle nut wrench
8. Brass hammer
9. Rubber mallet dual end soft hard
10. 1/4" x2" clevis pin
11. 1/4"x2"x2" wood block to support trigger guard ears
12. Geiselle gas block punches
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Magpul Bev block if you are building an upper. They are great! As far as a barrel nut wrench, it's all dependent on the handguard you buy, some even supply a wrench. ALG used to now I think you have to buy it. Last one I built I just used an large adj wrench I had because 1-3/16 crow foot wrenches are rare and/or expensive. Knipex pliers are expensive and just large jaw pliers will work but i just tapered my pins on last build and tapped em in. You'll need some punch sets. I've just used plain punches being careful.

On my second build I did make a block to help me with the assembly of the gas tube being pinned to the gas block. I just used a dremel to hollow into the wood block so I could contain the block while tapping in the pin.

Everybody makes a big deal out of starting the detent pin and pivot pin. It's really easy. I just use a small thin blade from a small swiss army knife to hold the pin back while I start in the pivot pin. A 3rd hand from a friend does help a lot.

So the only dedicated tools you should need are a
castle nut wrench,
a bev block if you are building your upper,
maybe a proprietary barrel nut wrench,
some punches,
oh a brass&nylon mallet are nice,
Just rent a torque wrench from AutoZone etc to torque the barrel nut.

ETA, here is the simple block I made to help me pin and unpin gas tubes/gas blocks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Wheeler upper receiver clam shell and/or reaction rod
Armorers wrench - I have the tapco wrench and it gets the job done but im looking for a nicer one. Hate the coating on it.
Set of punches
Squirrel Daddy roll pin starter punches
Multi bit screw driver set
Nylon or brass hammer (small regular hammer if you're brave)
small file collection (not necessary but always useful)
3/8 torque wrench (ft lbs)
1/4 torque wrench (in lbs) - I use the harbor freight ones. Not the best but they work.

That should get you started. If you do enough searching and stay to the cheaper side you wont be spending much more than $200
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I use on a regular basis:

Roll Pin punches
Standard punches
small brass hammer (harbor freight)
Wheeler clamshell with gas tube alignment insert
Armoror's wrench (can't remember the brand...Gem state or something, but recommended here and awesome)
1/4" clevis
Vise
torque wrench (harbor freight)
Allen wrenchs
screwdrivers

I still want to get some sort of barrel vise clamp, reaction rod or the BEV block. I use the clamshell for barrel nut work, but for muzzle devices I've just made an impromptu V block out of heavy cardboard to clamp the barrel in a vice. It works, but is obviously not ideal.

I also used a hacksaw to cut down through the end of the clevis pin to make a tool that I can use for installing the spring/pin in a rear carry handle style sight. You need something if you're going to assemble stripped A2 uppers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Certainly not a requirement, but a very nice to have is a Wheeler FAT Wrench (or something similar).  For attaching accessories and mounting scopes and prevent over and under torquing screws, this is a really handy tool.  I recently bought one when it was on sale for under $50 shipped and used it on my last build.  It sure is nice to know that you have the appropriate amount of torque on all the various small threaded fasteners on your rifle.  I use it a lot!  If you're like me and don't have calibrated hands like a lot of you do, this tool really is worth it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Certainly not a requirement, but a very nice to have is a Wheeler FAT Wrench (or something similar).  For attaching accessories and mounting scopes and prevent over and under torquing screws, this is a really handy tool.  I recently bought one when it was on sale for under $50 shipped and used it on my last build.  It sure is nice to know that you have the appropriate amount of torque on all the various small threaded fasteners on your rifle.  I use it a lot!  If you're like me and don't have calibrated hands like a lot of you do, this tool really is worth it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/415329/FAT-Wrench-131985.JPG
View Quote

I just used my Fat wrench to mount a new scope yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey - Have you guys seen this upper receiver vise block fixture from Brownells?  If you have money to burn ($279) , this looks pretty dang robust (7075-T6 Aluminum construction).  There is a video at that link that demonstrates how this works.  Really slick, but really expensive.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I've built around 15-20 AR's that are all still out there working great.

I have a small cheap tool box
Harbor Freight punches, pliers, screw drivers
DPMS vise block set
NC Star Barrel Nut wrench
Husky Torque wrench
Other misc stuff.

Nothing is really specialized or expensive in my tool box.
I've also never broken a receiver ear....
It's usually not the tools but the tool using the tools.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:53:39 AM EDT
[#27]
The Magpul Armorer's Wrench is spendy, but it's my "go to".  Once you use one, you never go back to the NCStar, DPMS, etc...

The Bev Block is also worth it's weight in gold.  

+1 on Walt's tool.  It helps to keep from scratching your receiver when installing bolt catch pins.

The Wheeler handguard removal tool is also a must have, if you ever work on rigs that don't have free float hand guards (especially for the Magpul SL line of handguards).  I have worn out the protective plastic finish on mine, so I wrapped some electrical tape around it.

Aside from the typical tools available from retail outlets, I love seeing all of the homemade tools that people have built or purposed for building AR's.

I use a chopstick to install my magazine releases.  Doesn't scratch and make it super easy to install.  The plastic chamber flags work well for this too.

For fancy muzzle devices, i wrap them with painter's tape, then use a large crescent wrench to install.  Keeps them scratch free.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes! 

Every new builder should add one on to their next Amazon order (or keep an eye out for one at Lowes, Home Depot, or wherever).
Even a "universal" 1/4" clevis-pin with multiple holes saves a lot of headaches (looking for front TD pin detents launched into orbit). 

Best 79 cents you'll ever spend.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41KJK2pBoQL._AA160_.jpg

http://www.towsmart.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/1204_ClevisPin.jpg

https://www.pivotpins.com/products/images/clevis-pin-single-II.jpg   
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10. 1/4" x2" clevis pin
Yes! 

Every new builder should add one on to their next Amazon order (or keep an eye out for one at Lowes, Home Depot, or wherever).
Even a "universal" 1/4" clevis-pin with multiple holes saves a lot of headaches (looking for front TD pin detents launched into orbit). 

Best 79 cents you'll ever spend.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41KJK2pBoQL._AA160_.jpg

http://www.towsmart.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/1204_ClevisPin.jpg

https://www.pivotpins.com/products/images/clevis-pin-single-II.jpg   

What do you use them for?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#30]
PRI barrel nut wrench
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top