Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2016 2:52:21 AM EDT
Hey guys. I have been going back-and-forth with if I should get enhanced takedown pins or not. I have no issues with mil spec pins but I'm curious. I have seen conflicting reviews on them. So what's the point? What are they good for and which brands do y'all think are the best?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 3:45:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If you live in Cali, where bullet buttons are now outlawed, and you have to shotgun the receiver open to reload, then they're worth it.

If you don't have a frequent and urgent need to shotgun the receiver open, then what exactly is the point?

Guess if you like the idea, it's your money, and they don't really hurt anything...
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Are they needed? No. Are they useful? Maybe, depending on your needs.
They are a "because I have the money to spend on this" kind of thing. Like upgraded trigger guards.... do you REALLY need them? No. But hell, why not.
Personally, I just use mil spec takedown pins, but all the merrier for those that want to rock them. 'Murica!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't matter.
View Quote

Realistically there is no practical difference.
The extended pins are slightly easier to pull out. They add about 1/4" to the side of the rifle.

Random web page example picture:
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Edited, so someone doesn't buy by mistake.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Many Drop in triggers require them 
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you thinking of anti-walk pins?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a set of them by accident in a LPK before Christmas.  I had been thinking that I wanted extended pins for years.  After using them some, I think they're borderline useless.  Appears to be something for those that really want them.  And I'm sure some guys will swear by them.  I don't have a big need to be continually pulling my receivers apart, so the Milspec pins work just fine.  I'm also not a fan of ambidextrous safeties or bolt catch levers or that kind of stuff either, though.  Guess I'm getting to old and cranky.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Realistically there is no practical difference.
The extended pins are slightly easier to pull out. They add about 1/4" to the side of the rifle.  
View Quote

Certainly not all of them do.  These hardly add anything at all.
BAD takedown pins

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#10]

The BAD pins go on every one of my builds. On really tight fitting receivers that make it much easier to push/pull.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a set... Still not sure if I'm going featureless or the mag lock thing.if I have to break the gun open to reload, I'll use the extended pins. Otherwise, I feel like they get in the way honesty. I like the lower to be as smooth as possible so things get hung up less. Just my opinion though. I usually run the CMMG lower kits which come with pins that are a little longer on the left side of the gun So it's still relatively smooth, doesn't stick out too far. They look similar to the BAD pins posted above.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, sorry
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#13]
If billet receivers are really tight I find them useful. On forged receivers, no.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
They work really well on my build. Makes a great spot to push into.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/VLpYlxLc1vU[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I use them.  I like them.

New CA laws aside, many of my receivers are a tight fit, and pushing out a standard take down pin without a tool can be a huge PITA when compared to the relative ease of an extended pin.  I do like the Yankee Hills for this purpose but have tried several others.

Having a failure requiring you to pull the upper during a match is already a hassle...not having to waste any time on getting the pin out is that much more of a time saver.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a set... Still not sure if I'm going featureless or the mag lock thing.if I have to break the gun open to reload, I'll use the extended pins. Otherwise, I feel like they get in the way honesty. I like the lower to be as smooth as possible so things get hung up less. Just my opinion though. I usually run the CMMG lower kits which come with pins that are a little longer on the left side of the gun So it's still relatively smooth, doesn't stick out too far. They look similar to the BAD pins posted above.
View Quote

My last kit from them was like that.  I kinda like the difference vs the standard ones on my first kit.  The little extra push out you get makes a big difference with basically no side effect.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I use the BAD enhanced pins on my rifle. Quality made and look right. I store my AR in a takedown case, pins work well with this set up.
Are they nessesay for you, don't know, for me, sure.
As I only have 1 AR, I like to use only premium parts.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#18]
BAD certainly work as advertised without protruding like some others.  Since i have a fixed mag to comply with NY BS makes life easier on reloads.  Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#19]
VSEVEN makes a good product. I use 2A titanium hollow center pins on my 3-gun rifle and VSEVEN on everything else. Is there any REAL savings there? Not entirely but a few grams here and a few there add to ounces. Ounces lead to pounds. But pins themselves without a purpose aren't really worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the BAD pins; they do seem to help on my tighter fits.
Overall I would say personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I like mine, don't remember where I got them, they save my fingernails, gives me something to grab onto.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to think they were silly and kinda pointless.

Then I started using them about two years ago.

Arthritis and neuropathy in my hands makes them a very worthwhile upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I've used the BAD titanium pins on the last couple builds and really like them. My reason are:
I need the pins anyway
Super easy install
Lightweight
Look great
Easier to open
And not expensive enough to really make me say no
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#24]
On my last build, I used a CMMG LPK minus the FCG and grip. It had their MK3 pins in the kit and I like them a lot so far. Cheaper than the BAD pins if you buy them by themselves. Or get the LPK with them in there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I have used them on every lower I have built.

I disassemble mine all the time & would not have a lower without them.

I use mine for hunting. It makes it especially nice to take down before climbing the stand if you have gloves on in cold weather.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The BAD pins go on every one of my builds. On really tight fitting receivers that make it much easier to push/pull.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Those look nice - never seen them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you live in Cali, where bullet buttons are now outlawed, and you have to shotgun the receiver open to reload, then they're worth it.

If you don't have a frequent and urgent need to shotgun the receiver open, then what exactly is the point?

Guess if you like the idea, it's your money, and they don't really hurt anything...
View Quote

The Cali guys also now have a extended mag release with no bullet button that will only drop a mag with the upper open.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Cali guys also now have a extended mag release with no bullet button that will only drop a mag with the upper open.
View Quote

The new "bullet button" which requires the upper to be open was why I mentioned Cali as a potential market for these takedown pins.

If you don't need to frequently shotgun the upper open, they're at best a marginal convenience.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got a set of them by accident in a LPK before Christmas.  I had been thinking that I wanted extended pins for years.  After using them some, I think they're borderline useless.  Appears to be something for those that really want them.  And I'm sure some guys will swear by them.  I don't have a big need to be continually pulling my receivers apart, so the Milspec pins work just fine.  I'm also not a fan of ambidextrous safeties or bolt catch levers or that kind of stuff either, though.  Guess I'm getting to old and cranky.
View Quote

Agree. Kinda like titts on a boar hog. Solution looking for a problem.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top