Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2016 9:34:26 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm new to the AR community but recently my friend took me shooting and I was hooked. However, when I went to look on the market for AR's, I was lost. There are so many different models and variations that I have no idea where to start. After hours of research and talking to various people at the range/store, I think I have come to the conclusion of getting a Colt LE6920. Originally I was thinking about getting the M&P 15, but have now decided against it, mostly because a couple of close friends said I would regret it. The other option that I am leaning towards is building my own AR because I love working on stuff with my hands. However, I have no idea where to start and what parts to get. The group of people that I have asked are all super intense and the builds that they recommend are all top tier and cost around $1700 and I don't think that I need a gun that specialized with a noveske barrel and other laure parts.

TL:DR - Colt LE6920 or Build? If I choose to build where do I start, and any recommended builds for around $1000?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Build.  Click Here.  Hours of research is just the start, but buy parts now.

If you love working with your hands, and don't mind putting in as much research as you can, building is the way to go.  

The LaRue barrel is an incredible deal on sale.  I would buy it now.  Get M4 feed ramps, your upper selection will be much easier.  If you don't want to spend that much, Ballistic Advantage and Faxon have very good barrels.

You don't need top tier parts for a very reliable rifle.  LaRue barrel, PSA lower build kit on sale (I think $90), LaRue trigger, or Geissele if you want to spend a little more.  ALG makes a very nice trigger if you want a single stage.  Nothing wrong with that route at all.

Pick up any lower you want.  I like Spike's, but they are abundant in my area.  I have a Stag blem that I like a lot as well.  Mega is fantastic, a little more expensive, but very nice.  If you get a Mega, you will probably want a Mega upper as well.  The finish will look a lot better together.

Aero uppers can be had at good prices.  Look at Primary Arms and Aim Surplus for a wide selection of handguards.  You can break a budget with handguards, or you can come in under budget and still have a quality piece.  This always seems to be where I have to decide how much I want my build to cost.  I always put the most thought in to the handguard, even though it isn't ultimately that important.  Free float can be had cheap, or you can go all out and get a Daniel Defense Lite Rail, which is my favorite, but it's expensive.

Decide if you want optics or not.  You should always get familiar with a platform on iron sights.  It sounds like you are fairly new to ARs, so fixed sights would be a good option until you master them.  My favorite is Rock River Arms fixed rear and Daniel Defense fixed front.  Magpul makes affordable flip ups, but as I said, you will benefit mastering iron sights first.  If you plan on keeping iron sights forever, getting a barrel with a front sight base installed can be beneficial.  If you want to go that route, I would order from Ballistic Advantage.  They will pin a front sight base to any barrel that isn't already pinned for a low profile gas block.  This will limit your rail length, if you want your rail to cover the majority of your barrel, a front sight base isn't a good option.

Things people break the bank on that I don't think are necessary are fancy receivers, gas blocks, and muzzle devices.  Standard forged receivers, A2 bird cage flash hider, and a standard low profile gas block are really all you need.  A Daniel Defense or BCM bolt carrier group is nice, but a cheaper PSA premium or AIM Surplus should be fine for just about anything.  Most places like AIM and Rainier Arms, for example, also have their own low profile gas blocks these days.  They are affordable, and everything you need out of a gas block.

For stocks, the M4 stock that comes with the PSA kit is fine.  I don't really mind them.  Most of mine are SOPMODs.  Magpul makes good stocks, but they don't really work for me.

You don't need billet ambi receivers, fancy lower part kits with ambi controls, muzzle brakes, or expensive stocks like the UBR.  They aren't entirely unnecessary, but a reliable build doesn't necessarily need them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy the Colt, that is a great rifle. You can always build the next one after gaining information on what you do and don't like about the Colt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I'm new to the AR community but recently my friend took me shooting and I was hooked. However, when I went to look on the market for AR's, I was lost. There are so many different models and variations that I have no idea where to start. After hours of research and talking to various people at the range/store, I think I have come to the conclusion of getting a Colt LE6920. Originally I was thinking about getting the M&P 15, but have now decided against it, mostly because a couple of close friends said I would regret it. The other option that I am leaning towards is building my own AR because I love working on stuff with my hands. However, I have no idea where to start and what parts to get. The group of people that I have asked are all super intense and the builds that they recommend are all top tier and cost around $1700 and I don't think that I need a gun that specialized with a noveske barrel and other laure parts.

TL:DR - Colt LE6920 or Build? If I choose to build where do I start, and any recommended builds for around $1000?
View Quote

Buy the Colt now! You have about 2 weeks before things go haywire if Hillary wins. Here's some LE6920 information for you. If you want to build, at least buy the OEM2 so that you can add your own options.

By the time you research all the options, get all the tools and order all the parts, the two weeks would be gone.

No, it doesn't take only $1000. Tools alone would cost you about $400 unless you own a machine shop - I don't. I had to buy everything from drill pit, vise to armorer's wrench. Personally, if I were you to spend $1400, I'd throw in another $100 and buy a Daniel Defense M4V7 off one of the EE vendors and call it done since that's your only AR. I decided to buy all the tools becasue I bought enough ARs to "justify" me becoming self-reliant - my wife still thinks I am beyond stupid.

Keep in mind that your own build may not work right. You may need to tinker with it like changing buffer etc. Either the Colt or DDM4 would be a fantastic rifle that would last you 10 lifetime but Colt's milspec trigger sucks and DD isn't much better.

Also, if you don't like your Colt or DDM4 a few months later, I am always here to take it off your hands as long as you don't dig your yard with it or try to shoot a few 300BLK through it. :-)
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the COLT TONIGHT then shoot as much as possible before changing a damn thing.  I think you'll find that it's perfect the way it is but easily changed if not.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but buy the Colt

Seriously. Get it before the panic, take a while to just learn the basics and figure out what you like/don't like.  THEN build, create, mix, match, collect, etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy the colt
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Counterpoint:  get the Colt, especially for a first AR.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
could do either.  I can't really tell you a build for $1k as everyone has their own preferences.

Couldn't go wrong with the Colt.  Plus pick up a few stripped lowers to save for later builds.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:16:16 AM EDT
[#9]
That Colt is about as close to "standard" as you can get. If you're completely new to ARs, go with that, and get a feel for how you want to build your next one.

To be perfectly honest, you pay a little bit extra to have that prancing pony on there, but I don't know of any Colt owners that regret them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd buy the 6920 and shoot it a lot to see what if anything you'd like to change on it. Then build your second one accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys thanks for all the support and advice! I kind of went rogue and did't do what any of you guys said
Instead the local gun shop that I went to actually had a bunch of spare parts lying around and they let me mix and match parts to build it in store!
(I think they were just working on a project and had extra parts lying around)
It ended up being

Anderson Lower Receiver
Daniel Defense Parts Kit
Magpul pistol grip
Magpul stock
Magpul flip ups
Daniel Defense BCG
Spikes tactical Upper
Daniel defense barrel

and then some other stuff that I cant really remember, kind of in a rush to shoot it!
Overall it came out to around $1100 and then I got some spare mags and what not (Any tips where I can get lots of ammo for cheaper than range prices?)
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#12]
For a factory rifle I'd suggest the S&W MP15 Magpul edition.

You do not need a $1700 build full of gucci parts to have a good, functional, reliable rifle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Build.

It is much funner than opening a box.

My handguard came with a barrel nut wrench, castle nut wrenches are cheap.  I have a torque wrench and a vice for working on my trucks/tractors.  Roll pin punches are not bank breakers either.

If you buy, Colt and many others is good.  As you can tell people go nuts over rollmarks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey guys thanks for all the support and advice! I kind of went rogue and did't do what any of you guys said
Instead the local gun shop that I went to actually had a bunch of spare parts lying around and they let me mix and match parts to build it in store!
(I think they were just working on a project and had extra parts lying around)
It ended up being

Anderson Lower Receiver
Daniel Defense Parts Kit
Magpul pistol grip
Magpul stock
Magpul flip ups
Daniel Defense BCG
Spikes tactical Upper
Daniel defense barrel

and then some other stuff that I cant really remember, kind of in a rush to shoot it!
Overall it came out to around $1100 and then I got some spare mags and what not (Any tips where I can get lots of ammo for cheaper than range prices?)
View Quote

Looks like an awesome build! DD barrel is one of the best!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top