Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2016 1:32:29 AM EDT
First off, there is not a single item I skimped on, or would change.  I chose what I thought would be the highest quality custom ar parts.  I have another thread discussing how I got here.  Unfortunately pics do not do this rifle justice.  
Cerekote by Mad Custom Coating.  I am amazed how they brought to life exactly what was in my head.

Build Thread

Parts list
Cross Machine and Tool Matched Billet Ambi Lower and UPUR upper receivers. Upper Blueprinted by CIVTac

Lower Parts-
Geissele National Match Trigger
JP Captured Buffer Spring
VSeven Heavy Receiver extension
Vseven Raw Titanium Ambi safety selector
VSeven Ultralight S7 NP3 bolt catch
VSeven Raw TI castlenut & endplate
VSeven TI Mag Catch/Release Diamond Raw
Ruger Precision MSR Stock (stock that comes on the Ruger Precision Rifle)
Executive Ordnance Grip
2A Armory Titanium takedown and Pivot Pins

Upper Parts-
22" Custom Handmade Barrel by CIVtac using a Shilen Blank chambered in 223 Wylde
Young Machine Chrome National Match Carrier/ Bolt provided by CIVTac to match barrel
Noveske 16,7 NSR
Fortis Hammer Charging Handle
Vseven ultralight ar15 port door
VSeven port door rod
Forward Controls Low Drag Titanium Forward Assist
Syrac Gen 2 Adjust able Gas Block
Wilson Combat Rapid Thread Muzzle Break for Whisper Suppressor

Accessories
LRA Bipod
CTK Monopod
Geissele Superprecision Scope Mount
Nightforce Benchrest 12-42x56
Nightforce Angle Indicarot
MSA Anticant Devise
ZeroBravo REOS

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:06:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice rig. Hows it shoot?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice rig. Hows it shoot?
View Quote

will find out today
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious about the scope height, buttstock, and charging handle interaction
To gain full adjustment I'm afraid you're probably gonna end up going with a side-charging alteration of some sort

Also, the buttstock has some known issues, some of which you can prevent (like the dreaded "buttstock burr") and others that you simply have to look out for (like knowing how to adjust the stock).
Otherwise, it's a handsome weapon.  I hope it serves you well

Looking forward to your thoughts on it
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#4]
That is bunch of fancy.

I hope it one holes for you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice job, J.  I recently completed a similar rifle, building the upper and using an existing lower.  Mine features a Compass Lake "varmint" barrel, made by Frank White on a Douglas stainless steel blank with a matching bolt.  Its 22" long, unthreaded muzzle, 1in8 twist and Wylde chamber.  Profile dimensions are 1", .875" and .840", weight is right at 4 lbs.  I'm going through a careful break-in and load development process, starting with selected bullets from Sierra and Berger in the 53 to 69 grain range.  Starting powders are Vit N133 for the lighter bullets and Norma 202 for the heavier ones.  Please post your conclusions in the pet load department, including pics of some 10-shot groups if you can. thx - CW
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To gain full adjustment I'm afraid you're probably gonna end up going with a side-charging alteration of some sort

Also, the buttstock has some known issues, some of which you can prevent (like the dreaded "buttstock burr") and others that you simply have to look out for (like knowing how to adjust the stock).

View Quote

I guess I am not quite sure what your concerns are as far as being able to operate the charging handle.  When I mounted the scope, I adjusted the stock to fit me.  I had absolutely no issues yesterday at the range.  Of course, if it was in the fully forward position I wouldn't be able to operate the charging handle with the cheek piece up,  However, I wouldn't have proper eye relief to even see through the scope.  It is the same way on my LuthAR MB3 on my LR308.  I built this as a benchrest gun.  As pictured it is set up for me, and the set-up worked flawlessly.  I could see other purposes, the stock not being ideal.  Buttstock bur? Is that the issues on the ralied section?  
As set up, it is extremely solid and has the perfect cheek weld and eye relief.  You just have to get everything tightened down.  I also used it with rear bags and the CTK monopod folded up.    

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
She's a beaut'

- AG
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice job, J.  I recently completed a similar rifle, building the upper and using an existing lower.  Mine features a Compass Lake "varmint" barrel, made by Frank White on a Douglas stainless steel blank with a matching bolt.  Its 22" long, unthreaded muzzle, 1in8 twist and Wylde chamber.  Profile dimensions are 1", .875" and .840", weight is right at 4 lbs.  I'm going through a careful break-in and load development process, starting with selected bullets from Sierra and Berger in the 53 to 69 grain range.  Starting powders are Vit N133 for the lighter bullets and Norma 202 for the heavier ones.  Please post your conclusions in the pet load department, including pics of some 10-shot groups if you can. thx - CW
View Quote

Thank you for the complement.  

I only shot 5 round groups yesterday, other than two 3 rnd to sight it in. Total Round count 36 so far.  I do not reload, and probably wont until my kids get older.  (two high-schoolers, one middle schooler that play multiple sports each) Yesterday I used some Black Hills 223 69gr Sierra Match King OTM and Federal Premium 77gr Sierra MK BTHP.  Both shot sub MOA.  Let me be clear, I am not an experienced bench-rest shooter, I just recently became interested in shooting paper.  So, I havent learned much yet.  So the rifle is capable of much more, in more capable hands.  It made for the best day at the range I have ever had accuracy wise.  I will definitely post some groupings next weekend, It didn't occur to me, as after I shot this some, I went the other route and blasted some off with my 7.5" SBR onto the same paper

On another note, the Geissele targets are a deal for the price.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I guess I am not quite sure what your concerns are as far as being able to operate the charging handle.  When I mounted the scope, I adjusted the stock to fit me.  I had absolutely no issues yesterday at the range.  Of course, if it was in the fully forward position I wouldn't be able to operate the charging handle with the cheek piece up,  However, I wouldn't have proper eye relief to even see through the scope.  It is the same way on my LuthAR MB3 on my LR308.  I built this as a benchrest gun.  As pictured it is set up for me, and the set-up worked flawlessly.  I could see other purposes, the stock not being ideal.  Buttstock bur? Is that the issues on the ralied section?  
As set up, it is extremely solid and has the perfect cheek weld and eye relief.  You just have to get everything tightened down...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As set up, it is extremely solid and has the perfect cheek weld and eye relief.  You just have to get everything tightened down...

I was simply commenting on the adjustment for the eye relief.  
With an optic with a 3-inch relief I would have expected the cheek piece riser to be more forward, that's all
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
AWESOME build.  Love the stock, was wanting one but gave up looking.  The cerakote finish is the icing on the cake.  I'm itching to get one cerakoted in kryptek pontus, even got a quote, just haven't followed through yet.  Great part selection and attention/balance of form/function and just general badassery!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Love both your rifles. I use a lot of the same stuff, CMT V7 etc.  keep em coming!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
By the way, love CMT Tac myself!!!

" />
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Love both your rifles. I use a lot of the same stuff, CMT V7 etc.  keep em coming!
View Quote

Both?  LOL I wish I could have quit at 2...   Thanks for the complement!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Excellent looking build.  I've been looking at the NF 2.5-10 and the US Optics.  I haven't used any SI parts because I am not sure if they are US made.  Do you know if they are because I like the way their mag catch is shaped.  And when I have the choice, I try and buy US.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

With an optic with a 3-inch relief I would have expected the cheek piece riser to be more forward, that's all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.    For me it's GTG as is
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Excellent looking build.  I've been looking at the NF 2.5-10 and the US Optics.  I haven't used any SI parts because I am not sure if they are US made.  Do you know if they are because I like the way their mag catch is shaped.  And when I have the choice, I try and buy US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure if they're USA made or not.  I went and looked but I've thrown the packaging away.  I shot a question to them on their website to find out.  I think their bolt catch looks good on the CMT and I like the bigger pad as I'm a lefty and can drop the bolt with my trigger finger.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:34:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not sure if they're USA made or not.  I went and looked but I've thrown the packaging away.  I shot a question to them on their website to find out.  I think their bolt catch looks good on the CMT and I like the bigger pad as I'm a lefty and can drop the bolt with my trigger finger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya. I like the seekins bigger pad, but doesnt look right on the CMT.  Forward Controls Bolt catch would look sharp too.  I was using the ambi release with my trigger finger sunday.  Was pretty natural prone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I hear ya. I like the seekins bigger pad, but doesnt look right on the CMT.  Forward Controls Bolt catch would look sharp too.  I was using the ambi release with my trigger finger sunday.  Was pretty natural prone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the fcd bolt catch on my cmt build, its a great piece
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice rifle.

Looking forward to your 1moa all day post with it.

Txl
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top