Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2016 7:49:27 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Let me preface by saying I live in MA, which in itself sucks even before the retarded gun laws. Thankfully, I stocked up on lowers prior to our AG going crazy and illegally banning any "scary" looking semi-automatic platforms but that is a discussion for another day. I already have an AR but its a 16 incher and I don't really like how it turned out, it seems too short.

I have about 650 to play with that can just be for the upper. I wanted to build another 18 inch barrel AR.

I have an Anderson Lower and Anderson LPK so I am good for the lower itself. I was wondering if you guys could recommend an 18-inch package (doesn't have to have the BCG or Charging handle, I prefer if it didn't actually) from PSA. I would really appreciate it. The main purpose is going to be shooting at paper. I don't need sub MOA but I'd like something that is fairly accurate and looks nice. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:51:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait for the "Daily Deals" and buy their Premium Line.  

Should get you where you need to be.  

Good Luck POW!  (J/K)
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#2]
For about your budget white oak armament has a 18 inch spr type upaper that will shoot good. I got a white oak barrel on a mk12 mod 1 upper I have and it'll print some damn good groups. Let me grab you a link.

clicky here
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For about your budget white oak armament has a 18 inch spr type upaper that will shoot good. I got a white oak barrel on a mk12 mod 1 upper I have and it'll print some damn good groups. Let me grab you a link.

clicky here
View Quote

What sort of MOA do you think I'd get out of this upper?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wait for the "Daily Deals" and buy their Premium Line.  

Should get you where you need to be.  

Good Luck POW!  (J/K)
View Quote

What sort of MOA you think?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

clicky here

With match grade ammo or tuned reloads you should be able to get sub MOA, probably close to half MOA, as long as you're good enough to do it.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With match grade ammo or tuned reloads you should be able to get sub MOA, probably close to half MOA, as long as you're good enough to do it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

clicky here

Seriously? I thought sub MOA with an AR you'd have to spend 2k+. Wow, that is amazing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Seriously? I thought sub MOA with an AR you'd have to spend 2k+. Wow, that is amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

clicky here

A good barrel, good trigger, free float handguard, and decent glass and you're good to go!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The barrel and ammo. Are the heart IMHO, of what makes the magic happen. Everything else just supports that task. Now piss poor support makes pissed poor results.

I recommend that you look up and read Molons posts on accuracy. He's on point with what he has wrote. It may take a couple read throughs before it makes sense. I know it took me a dozen times before it made sence. But it'll help your forme your own opions.

I'm not gonna tell you that you have to run a hand turned krieger blank that's had a 100 rnds break in done. Or a 200 $ ar stoner barrel that's never been broken in. That's for you to decide on. And do what you feel will contribute to top notch accuracy.

Finished WOA barrels cost close to the same as a krieger blank. And WOA is know for top notch service rifle uppers that shoot lights out. Finding accuracy in any system is a testing process you must go through. And you will get out what you put into it. Just because you spend 5k on x, y, and z parts doesn't mean it will shoot the same as the other guys same build.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The upper came from PSA.  The A1 butt stock from Charley's Surplus.  The scope is one of those big Bushnells with a 56 mm ob. lens that lets me see better in the dark than my eyes can see on their own.  I haven't shot it past 25 yds. so far.  But I've never seen a rifle shoot good groups at 25 yds. and not shoot good groups farther on out either.

I need to shoot it more than I have so far.  I got some heavy bullets (Hornady and Sierra match bullets) to work up some loads with but haven't got around to that yet due to other projects and ammo needs.  I may paint it up this fall, just haven't decided yet what color/pattern.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Let me preface by saying I live in MA, which in itself sucks even before the retarded gun laws. Thankfully, I stocked up on lowers prior to our AG going crazy and illegally banning any "scary" looking semi-automatic platforms but that is a discussion for another day. I already have an AR but its a 16 incher and I don't really like how it turned out, it seems too short.

I have about 650 to play with that can just be for the upper. I wanted to build another 18 inch barrel AR.

I have an Anderson Lower and Anderson LPK so I am good for the lower itself. I was wondering if you guys could recommend an 18-inch package (doesn't have to have the BCG or Charging handle, I prefer if it didn't actually) from PSA. I would really appreciate it. The main purpose is going to be shooting at paper. I don't need sub MOA but I'd like something that is fairly accurate and looks nice. Thanks!
View Quote

Budget build, here you go.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-moe-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The upper came from PSA.  The A1 butt stock from Charley's Surplus.  The scope is one of those big Bushnells with a 56 mm ob. lens that lets me see better in the dark than my eyes can see on their own.  I haven't shot it past 25 yds. so far.  But I've never seen a rifle shoot good groups at 25 yds. and not shoot good groups farther on out either.

I need to shoot it more than I have so far.  I got some heavy bullets (Hornady and Sierra match bullets) to work up some loads with but haven't got around to that yet due to other projects and ammo needs.  I may paint it up this fall, just haven't decided yet what color/pattern.

<a href="http://s307.photobucket.com/user/zsrbest/media/IMG_00781_zps7y5orl0y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/zsrbest/IMG_00781_zps7y5orl0y.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks fantastic. I waant the same thing basiclly, just the stock and some of the uppper hand rails to be a different color. Do you think its worth waiting for PSA to have their labor day sale? Do you have the link to your upper? Any recommendations for a scope? That one looks pretty great.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looks fantastic. I waant the same thing basiclly, just the stock and some of the uppper hand rails to be a different color. Do you think its worth waiting for PSA to have their labor day sale? Do you have the link to your upper? Any recommendations for a scope? That one looks pretty great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s307.photobucket.com/user/zsrbest/media/IMG_00781_zps7y5orl0y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/zsrbest/IMG_00781_zps7y5orl0y.jpg</a>

I think you'd benefit from staying from psa for your build. Just my .02.  Don't really ever hear there name and accuracy mentioned together.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Upper from PSA

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-15-keymod-upper-no-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I have a different mount on the scope now (same scope) as it needed to be further forward.  I really believe in the nose on the charging handle thing and I couldn't do that with the scope where is was on this rifle.  I tried a little piece of skate board tape on the stock to give me a repeatable cheek weld spot but that didn't work out either.  The new scope mount let me move the scope forward enough to allow my to get my nose on the charging handle.

It's this Bushnell scope.  When it's good and dark, I can step out on my porch and all I can see is that there are trees across the field and sky above them.  Throw the rifle up (on it's lowest power setting) and I can see the electric wires on the fence/field across the road, I can pick out the horses standing around in the field and once I even saw a momma fox a couple of smaller ones carefully walking along the edge of the tree line about 100 yds. away.  When there some moon light it's even better.

Bushnell doesn't show this scope on their web site.  I don't know why.  It is a Bushnell TrophyXLT 3 - 12x56 Illuminated 4A Matte 30mm Riflescope 733126E.  I can see them on line at e bay and Walmart, but not on the Bushnell web site.  If you can't see the cross hairs in low light you turn on the little red dot in the center of the scope and use that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Upper from PSA

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-stainless-15-keymod-upper-no-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I have a different mount on the scope now (same scope) as it needed to be further forward.  I really believe in the nose on the charging handle thing and I couldn't do that with the scope where is was on this rifle.  I tried a little piece of skate board tape on the stock to give me a repeatable cheek weld spot but that didn't work out either.  The new scope mount let me move the scope forward enough to allow my to get my nose on the charging handle.

It's this Bushnell scope.  When it's good and dark, I can step out on my porch and all I can see is that there are trees across the field and sky above them.  Throw the rifle up (on it's lowest power setting) and I can see the electric wires on the fence/field across the road, I can pick out the horses standing around in the field and once I even saw a momma fox a couple of smaller ones carefully walking along the edge of the tree line about 100 yds. away.  When there some moon light it's even better.

Bushnell doesn't show this scope on their web site.  I don't know why.  It is a Bushnell TrophyXLT 3 - 12x56 Illuminated 4A Matte 30mm Riflescope 733126E.  I can see them on line at e bay and Walmart, but not on the Bushnell web site.  If you can't see the cross hairs in low light you turn on the little red dot in the center of the scope and use that.
View Quote

Sucks its out of stock. I'll wait until its in stock and then grab it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Upper from PSA

View Quote

I heard they are redoing the Trophy line, and they are blowing out the current Trophy XLT line. I have the Bone collector 3-9 and it's a solid scope (70 bucks shipped from PSA).  Posted pics of my 18" setup in this forum.  Don't have any experience with uppers from PSA but have been happy with the accuracy of my Faxon barreled uppers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#16]
$650 upper?

$225 LaRue Stealth
$100 - $125 decent upper receiver
$50 decent gas block and tube
$12 A2 flash hider

Still leaves close to $250 for a ff hand guard
And you'd need a few tools as well.

Just one option of many.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top