Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2016 11:46:13 AM EDT
I was looking at a 16" PSA upper (with carbine gas system) and they included the following statement:

"Notice - This upper is recommended for supersonic ammunition only to ensure reliable cycling.  This upper will run with subsonic ammunition however may require tuning of other components (buffer, recoil spring, or BCG) to improve reliability due to the lower pressures of the subsonic 300 AAC cartridge."
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-300-aac-bo-1-8-nitride-13-5-keymod-freedom-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I already have a std mil spec LPK, BCG, buffer...What "tuning" would be needed?  Or would I just be better off with another upper for running subsonics?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It could require a different combination of buffer & spring, or possibly enlarging the gas port IF NECESSARY (the last course of action).  Unless you try it first, you won't know exactly what would be needed for it to cycle properly and lock open on the last round.

Additionally, you may look into a suppressor for quieting it down for when you do shoot subs, as there isn't much of a point to shoot subs without a suppressor.

My 2 cents?

Purchase a barrel with a pistol length gas port location.  It will be less hassle with subs.  Oh and buy a can.  

fwiw- I have an 8" SBR w/ an Aero 300 barrel with a pistol gas location.  It cycles and locks back on all combinations.

Super/Unsuppressed
Super/Suppressed
Sub/Unsuppressed
Sub/Suppressed

eta- I'm using an LWRC UCIW stock kit on that SBR.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the intent is to shoot it suppressed.  
Thanks for the reply...instead of the carbine length gas system, looks like I should pursue something with pistol length gas system for best reliability with the subs.  Right?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine works with standard carbine buffer and spring and can. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Basically they are giving you sound advice..............reduced power buffer spring and light buffer may be required to reliably run subsonic ammo..............Most people will say pistol gas as opposed to carbine gas is the most reliable set up if you intend to run subs.........................
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, the intent is to shoot it suppressed.  
Thanks for the reply...instead of the carbine length gas system, looks like I should pursue something with pistol length gas system for best reliability with the subs.  Right?
View Quote

Yes.

I have a 14.5 w/pistol gas and its been 100% with subs, no can, no drilling, trimming, or screwing with anything.

carbine spring/"H" buffer on two lowers.

Brass has always looked good even shooting some nice hot Barnes copys.(110gr) No signs of overgas with supers.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top