Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2016 6:33:49 AM EDT
Fore grip and light should be in tomorrow. Other than that I need to figure out slings and mounting locations and methods. I cant wait to take it to the range.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice build.  Looks great!  Your rear BUIS is on backwards, though.

Parts list, please.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll fix that...DOH!

Spikes Lower
Aero Upper
PSA Premium BCG/Blem  and LPK
Raptor charging handle
Ballistic Advantage 16"  M4 profile Barrel 1/7
BCM barrel nut
Faxon gas block/tube
Troy Alpha 13"
Spikes CAR-1 fake can - just like the look
Magpul OD MOE stock, Grip, Trigger guard, BAD Lever,. MBUS Gen2 front and rear - vertical fore grip on the way
Holosun 515c
Carbine buffer/tube/spring -  Not sure of the brand
Ordered an inforce light from BCM - should be here today

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#3]
If, and I say this loosely, if you shoot it with any kind of round count in a given time, you will be ditching that rail and getting one that doesn't go over that can. If it's something that's just going to look pretty, then you've don't a nice job.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If, and I say this loosely, if you shoot it with any kind of round count in a given time, you will be ditching that rail and getting one that doesn't go over that can. If it's something that's just going to look pretty, then you've don't a nice job.
View Quote

Just curious why that is? heat dissipation?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of the can as a burner on a stove. Think of the rail as the pan you put on the stove. I built a 10.5lmt the with a kx3 unter the rail. Looked cool as shit. Went and shot a one day class with it and I changed the rail out the next weekend. Even with gloves it sucked and I couldn't hold onto it the rail.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Sharp lookin' rifle there.  Agree with the coment about the forend length and the can.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking AR. I like the craftsman table in the kitchen area? :)
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice looking AR. I like the craftsman table in the kitchen area? :)
View Quote

Compound miter saw stand with a board attached and a 4.5" elcheapo vise mounted to it. - Make shift air conditioned shop for a day
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Ditch the hand guard.

EDIT:

And the light. Those things crack like its their job.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Can you post more pics and details on your bench? I live in an apartment and looking for something small/portable like that to mount a vice on.

I've got all the action blocks and tools, just looking for the best option for mounting a vice that's sturdy enough to install barrels.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can you post more pics and details on your bench? I live in an apartment and looking for something small/portable like that to mount a vice on.

I've got all the action blocks and tools, just looking for the best option for mounting a vice that's sturdy enough to install barrels.
View Quote

Not sure if its the best option but it be fine for working in an apartment.  We recently moved into our home and I've not yet built work benches in my garage area so I needed temporary solution to finish the AR.  The stand is Craftsman miter saw stand - I paid about $70-80 for it maybe - pulled the saw off of it and bolted a scrap board I had laying around to it. Picked up a cheap vise (similar to the one below from HD for $32) and bolted it to the board and honestly it worked great for what I needed it to do.  As you can see in the photo I pulled it into my house and worked in the AC.

I'd bet there are portable job site benches that are designed for this that could be bought as cheap or cheaper that would be an even better set up for what you are doing. Mine is make shift/temporary.

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww154/ORIGINALBIGKAHUNA/b.png
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww154/ORIGINALBIGKAHUNA/v.png
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ditch the hand guard.  

EDIT:

View Quote

Noted on the light  - I own it now so I will use it until if fails. On the Troy Alpha - I've not heard much of anything negative about the product itself. Mostly good and so far I love it.   What are the issues with it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks Good.  Congrats on your first build.  I have the Inforce as well on my Sig M4. No issues yet, but I am not expecting it to last.  They cant all break... right???   I think he may have just been referring to the heat issue on the Troy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Noted on the light  - I own it now so I will use it until if fails. On the Troy Alpha - I've not heard much of anything negative about the product itself. Mostly good and so far I love it.   What are the issues with it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditch the hand guard.  

EDIT:

Read my posts above.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice lookin stick. The lights are notorious for cracking, many here have a negative opinion of Troy due to former employees. The quality of their products is fine as long as your personal politics dont get in the way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not sure if its the best option but it be fine for working in an apartment.  We recently moved into our home and I've not yet built work benches in my garage area so I needed temporary solution to finish the AR.  The stand is Craftsman miter saw stand - I paid about $70-80 for it maybe - pulled the saw off of it and bolted a scrap board I had laying around to it. Picked up a cheap vise (similar to the one below from HD for $32) and bolted it to the board and honestly it worked great for what I needed it to do.  As you can see in the photo I pulled it into my house and worked in the AC.

I'd bet there are portable job site benches that are designed for this that could be bought as cheap or cheaper that would be an even better set up for what you are doing. Mine is make shift/temporary.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool thanks! I'm looking at the Keter brand ones on Amazon and it looked similar. Appreciate it
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top