Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2016 3:22:29 AM EDT
This is my first attempt at an AR build. I wanted something light, maneuverable and not cumbersome to carry. it does not have to be match grade accurate but I still want it to be pretty accurate. I want it for home defense, range time, and I am in Law enforcement so that is a factor as well. i wanted this to be a quality gun with quality parts. i figured if i was going to do it i would try and do it right. Any opinions, tweaks, or changes would be appreciated!

Spikes crusader lower
Ranier arms forged mil spec upper
Jp lpk w/o trigger
Spikes sling latch endplate
Voodoo mid length gas tube
Geisselle ssa trigger
Spikes tactical nickel boron m16 bcg
Bcm lgb 750 low profile gas block
Daniel defense 14.5” lightweight barrel
ALG true mil spec buffer tube kit w/ h3 buffer
Bravo company/vltor charging handle large latch
12.5” odin works key mod fde rail
Magpul moe stock
hex mag grip
bcm compensator mod 1
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't argue about anything.  All good quality components.  An H3 buffer maybe on the heavy side for mid length gas, but you can take weights out or replace the tungsten weights with steel weights if you need to lighten it up.  I don't know whether the BCM compensator will get you to the 16” minimum. Pin and weld.  You probably researched this already.  Should be fun to build and shoot.  Post pics, please.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
If I ever planned on shooting an AR without hearing protection (HD / SD scenarios), I would not want a compensator on it.  It will be very loud, especially indoors.  I would stick with an extended A2.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I ever planned on shooting an AR without hearing protection (HD / SD scenarios), I would not want a compensator on it.  It will be very loud, especially indoors.  I would stick with an extended A2.
View Quote

This is a smart comment and I would take it with heart.
People will say selective hearing in a home defense scenario, but why take the chance?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
A couple of things I would consider in your build. Take a look at Faxon Barrels. Specifically, their lightweight/gunner barrels - well regarded and will probably cost you less than DD (around $175).  

Also, you don't necessarily need a 14.5" barrel to have a good lightweight build - just my 2 cents. I recently made a lightweight build that came in under 6lbs w/ a 16" Faxon Gunner Barrel - couldn't be happier.  Having a 16" will also save you from the associated legal issues of having a rifle under 16" and give you the option to switch out any compensator/flash hider in the future - or even a suppressor for that matter.  Sift through the forums on here, there's plenty of talk & review of the Faxon barrels - overwhelmingly positive.

http://faxonfirearms.com/

Second, w/ regard to compensators and volume/decibel levels.... Any un-suppressed shot fired indoors w/o hearing protection is going to be dangerously/damagingly loud - regardless of compensator or A2 Flash Hider.  The avg increase increase in volume of any compensator is approx 5-10 decibels.  This is minimal in the overall scope of things.  Any un-suppressed shot from your rifle is going to be 155+ decibels which is dangerous for hearing. So an A2 Birdcage vs BCM comp isn't going to substantially affect or change the noise produced.

However, there are better options out there for comp's than the BCM.  Check out the Strike Industries J-Comp (about $30).  It's about 1/3 to 1/2 the price and its been shown to reduce recoil better than the BCM.  The differences in recoil reduction btwn comp's are minimal - but they exist.  Here's a vid testing 35 diff compensators and flash hiders (Including both the BCM & J-Comp) - it's not definitive by any means, but it serves as a good baseline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FD-Rou9-9A

I recently put a J-Comp on an SPR build and am very happy w/ it. Looks great imo as well. Good luck, and enjoy building your rifle. Cheers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top