Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2016 9:24:31 PM EDT
Here's the deal...

I got a DPMS LR308 Sportical and I'm just wondering about whether or not I'd take it to the range much... considering that it's a little heavy and I couldn't really shoot more than about 40 rounds a session due to its kick and cost. I had this weird thought about selling the upper and other parts on EE and using that to buy a AR15 (5.56/300BLK whatever) upper and part to build an AR15 rather than shooting battle rifle rounds. I'd be able to shoot more, shoot cheaper, and the rifle would be lighter to boot.

What do you think I should do, hold onto what I got, or sell the LR308 (keep the lower of course) and buy some AR uppers?

I'm finding myself wanting to go with low caliber/pistol caliber simply for the reason that I can shoot more per session and not use so much reloading components and blowing budget on them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
So you want to put a 5.56 upper on a .308 lower?  My .308 and my 5.56 or .300 black will not interchange they have major differences in the parts sizes.

Now I don't have a DPMS, but just the mag well is quite a bit bigger on the .308 at least they are on the ones I have looked at and the one that I own.

Isn't the Sportacal a 7.62 x 51?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I got both AR15 and AR10 lower, so no I'm not going to put an AR15 upper on a AR10 lower.

I was just asking if it was prudent to just sell the 308 upper, get an AR15 upper and perhaps be able to shoot more for less...
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got both AR15 and AR10 lower, so no I'm not going to put an AR15 upper on a AR10 lower.

I was just asking if it was prudent to just sell the 308 upper, get an AR15 upper and perhaps be able to shoot more for less...
View Quote

Okay,

I guess I am just confused, forgive me, I have been debating with a guy about rights over in the GD section all day!

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO keep the .308, unless you just plain ole dont want it or plan to shoot it anymore....and just purchase a completed budget upper and lower from PSA in 5.56 and go shoot and be happy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually I was even wondering about getting a 9mm AR15 carbine kit...

If I can get a cast bullet setup, I can shoot that thing for next to nothing (pretty much the cost of primer and powder, which is nothing). Cast bullet won't really work all that well with the glock but I was kinda hoping for a handgun and rifle that uses the same caliber.

Who makes a good budget 9mm AR kit?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Actually I was even wondering about getting a 9mm AR15 carbine kit...

If I can get a cast bullet setup, I can shoot that thing for next to nothing (pretty much the cost of primer and powder, which is nothing). Cast bullet won't really work all that well with the glock but I was kinda hoping for a handgun and rifle that uses the same caliber.

Who makes a good budget 9mm AR kit?
View Quote

Same company PSA
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#7]
300blk wont be cheap so dont go that route if you want cheap.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
300blk wont be cheap so dont go that route if you want cheap.
View Quote

Even reloading a .300 black, it is still not as inexpensive as some of the others.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Completely my opinion and view:

I understand that whole 'cast your bullets' idea, but I dismissed it just from the standpoint of devoting a whole system and caliber to casting bullets and then finding lead too much trouble or expensive to find to make it worth the long-term effort.

And using pistol ammo in a rifle always sounded like a good idea from a 'carry one ammo' point, but it's always a compromise if you're using it for home defense rather than just thinking of it as a 'weekend at the range with the kids and friends' kinda thing.  And that's why I went with .22 cal pistol/AR as a plinking combo.  Until .22 got too stupid expensive to justify the reduced capability vs/cost.  So I don't shoot that near as much anymore, either.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried cast bullet in my AR10 and it just leaded up the bore. Plus it would never cycle the action at all (I had to use it in "bolt action" mode). Not to mention accuracy was terrible with cast bullet for some unknown reason.

I'm building a 10/22 to use as plinking gun so I can get more practice in. But 22's don't seem all that cheap either since you can't reduce its price by reloading.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top