Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2016 3:12:49 PM EDT
I've read through some pretty old threads on this and want to make sure I order the right thing. I know Aeroshell 33ms is spec'd, and it's now renamed 64. But it seems easier and cheaper to get a different moly grease on amazon prime. Are these two good to go?

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80402-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000CPAEJA
Red Line 80402 Synthetic Grease
"CV-2 contains an organic moly and is for wheel bearings, high angle and conventional CV joints, chassis lubrication and high temperature, high speed industrial equipment."

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV986-SynPower-Synthetic-European/dp/B000GAN3I0
Valvoline VV986 SynPower Synthetic Grease
"SynPower is formulated with a lithium complex thickened in a synthetic base oil, moly and other premium additives to provide superior protection from high loads and extreme temperatures."

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Check ebay for small quantities of aeroshell 33ms. You can get a 5ml container for about $4 shipped.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check ebay for small quantities of aeroshell 33ms. You can get a 5ml container for about $4 shipped.
View Quote

Where are you finding it for $4 shipped on Ebay?  

OP, where in TX are you located?  If you're local to me, I will give you some AeroShell 33MS/ Grease 64.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
There are actually quite a few types of grease you can use, I use a purple moly from the local auto parts store, I think I paid $3.39 for a tube of it, just make sure it does not have any graphite in it and use very sparingly, it does not take much.  This is one of the spots that a little dab with do ya!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

OP, where in TX are you located?  If you're local to me, I will give you some AeroShell 33MS/ Grease 64.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in west Houston, you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeroshell-33ms-Barrel-Nut-Grease-for-AR-5-56-7-62-Varies-Quantities-/261676205673?var=&hash=item3ced1e0669:m:m4WqtDE6hDlI85X2KwVtZZA&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AeroShell-33MS-Barrel-Grease-for-A-R-5-56-7-62-5-ML-LOT-OF-1-x-5ml-JAR-/261618984266?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item3ce9b4e54a:g:9f4AAOSwd4tUJf4u
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
is 5 ml enough for one barrel nut and two other complete builds? Will the red line 80402 work if I don't want to pay extra to get a small batch of aeroshell?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are actually quite a few types of grease you can use, I use a purple moly from the local auto parts store, I think I paid $3.39 for a tube of it, just make sure it does not have any graphite in it and use very sparingly, it does not take much.  This is one of the spots that a little dab with do ya!
View Quote

Why no graphite?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
this is the stuff i use, get it at Wally World for around $4-5 a tube, it works great!

Bruce

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why no graphite?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why no graphite?

Graphite can cause corrosion on the upper.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the blue never seize. Contains no graphite and designed for aluminum

PM me your address if can't find anything and I'll mail you enough for a couple uppers
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why no graphite?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why no graphite?

Graphite is corrosive to aluminum.

I use a small dab of gray, graphite free antiseaze. But really any good quality grease will work fine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This?
View Quote

This is what I have been using for a very long time now, on my guns, my trucks, my winches, my tractors, my  bearings and anything else that needs to be slickery!

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MP02/90374/N0417.oap?ck=Search_N0417_-1_2784&pt=N0417&ppt=C0139
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used Valvoline synthetic grease on a half dozen builds with no problems.  

I wonder if we overthink this.  I'm sure Aeroshell is good grease, but I don't think there is anything exclusively special about it.  I would venture a guess that the only reason it is "mil spec" is because Shell won a contract for government grease.  Then, presto!  The government specification for barrel nut grease now happens to be the exact same specs as Aeroshell.  Other than staying away from graphite to prevent a galvanic reaction, I don't think something as basic as a barrel nut requires unobtanium encapsulated unicorn tears.  It is not a demanding or high wear area where parts are in constant motion.  The grease is simply a lubricant to prevent galling of the softer aluminum and allow for a consistent torque of the barrel nut during installation.  And with a 50 lb spread between the minimum and maximum, even the torque specs have a pretty big margin for error that I doubt will be noticably affected by using one brand grease vs. another.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I use a small dab of gray, graphite free antiseaze. But really any good quality grease will work fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why no graphite?

Indeed but mil-std-889 discussing "dissimilar metals" in 30.4 talks about maximum protective effectiveness treatment for aluminum being anodic treatment aka anodizing which most all lowers/uppers are. So wouldn't worry about coated aluminum parts. What are you worried about is going to corrode?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:37:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I know for a fact that a lot of people are over thinking this stuff.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've been using that same stuff for years.  Never had an issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this is the stuff i use, get it at Wally World for around $4-5 a tube, it works great!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb379/devildogandboy/P1000148.jpg

Bruce

yep, really makes  a big difference you can feel when cranking down on that barrel nut!

Bruce

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#18]
When you can get the exact specified product for only $6 why dick around with anything else. Here is what I use.

Shell Aero
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
yep, really makes  a big difference you can feel when cranking down on that barrel nut!
Bruce

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bruce

Bruce

I know lubing aluminum on aluminum threads prevents galling the threads (not the same issue here), and I know that lubing the barrel nut threads will give a smooth pull for accurate torquing, but aside from the moly issue - has anyone ever seen the nut/upper threads corrode from water intrusion and contaminated grease?

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I will probably just get this from Home Depot. Seems to match the BCM instructions for their barrel nut on their KMR installation instructions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I use wheel bearing grease.  $2 for a lifetime supply.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#22]
A more common grease from the motor pool could have been specified, instead they choose to use an aviation grease.
Seems likely aviation grease formulations are friendlier to mixed steel and alum parts.
Shell is not the only one who manufacturers grease that meets that mil-spec.
Because the mil-spec grease is well proven over time and in all environments by the military I will personally continue to use the readily available mil-spec grease.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Meh, I just use the same grease I use for my mountain bikes.

Of the 20 or so uppers I've put together, I've yet to have a problem.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Grease eventually dries out and hardens, especially synthetic grease.  I use anti-seize...the silver colored stuff for automotive applications.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
is 5 ml enough for one barrel nut and two other complete builds? Will the red line 80402 work if I don't want to pay extra to get a small batch of aeroshell?
View Quote

If 5ml is that little plastic container with the black lid in the images on the eBay links you posted, yes 5ml will be plenty. I got a handful of those little plastic jars off of eBay a yr or so ago. I've done several builds since then and haven't used 1/5 of one of those little plastic jars. I don't skimp on the grease either. I put it on the upper receiver threads, the barrel extension and the buffer tube threads. It doesn't require much.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I know lubing aluminum on aluminum threads prevents galling the threads (not the same issue here), and I know that lubing the barrel nut threads will give a smooth pull for accurate torquing, but aside from the moly issue - has anyone ever seen the nut/upper threads corrode from water intrusion and contaminated grease?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bruce

Bruce

i haven't, but then again where i live we don't get enough rain or water to worry about it! it does lubricate real well though.

Bruce

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Putting it together is not the issue. The issue is with taking it apart down the road.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I emailed BCM. All they would say was "Milspec requires moly based lubricant.  Look for the designation mil-prf 83483".

Googling that pulls up Loctite Moly 50 antiseize. But their KMR installation instructions say to use white lithium grease or moly paste...
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#29]
We us the 1 qt containers of Molybdenum Disulfide Grease or anit seize grease.

CD
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Putting it together is not the issue. The issue is with taking it apart down the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which I have also done, many times.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I use Super Lube synthetic grease for every AR part that needs greasing, including the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought this 10 years ago based on what I read on this forum.

At my current build rate, I can put uppers together for another 50 years.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top